Diy twin breather cam cover

After seeing a few people having these fitted at our last meet in aberdeen i thought it was time to make one, rather than buy one as they are not really cheep.

The fittings an be bought from ebay.

The 90* fitting is £11 you will need 2 of them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN-8-AN8-8AN-90-Degree-Push-On-Fuel-Hose-Fitting-/160802768169?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2570978529

The weld in male fitting an be bought from the same place also. £3 and £1.25 postage. 2 will also be needed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN-8-AN8-AN-08-Male-Aluminium-Weld-On-Fitting-/150721273811?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2317b01fd3

The tubing is again from the same place priced at £9.69 per meter. I bought 2 meters just to be safe.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN-8-8AN-JIC-Aeroquip-Socketless-Push-On-Fuel-Oil-Water-Hose-Pipe-1-M-Black-/150712709832?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item23172d72c8

I will upload the pictures very soon and a step by step. its not hard but i though i would show everyone how i did my cam cover :)

This is how i did it :)

First of all you need a cam cover, and you will need to remove the pcv valve and the metal breather.

SAM_0602.jpg

the areas marked in black are to be cleaned/ removed

SAM_0605.jpg

SAM_0604.jpg

cut off the metal oem breather pipe

SAM_0606.jpg

once it has been removed drill the bottom half out of the cam cover and increase the size of the hole.

CLEAN OUT ALL METAL SWARF/SHAVING FROM DRILLING!!!!!!

SAM_0608.jpg

clean off any paint or oil fron the to open holes.

SAM_0610.jpg

SAM_0609.jpg

these are the fittings and weld in male thread

SAM_0611.jpg

SAM_0612.jpg

these will be welded in as showen.

SAM_0614.jpg

SAM_0613.jpg

and look like this

SAM_0615.jpg

The best way to weld the fittings in would be to warm up the cam cover but i did not want to damage any seals.

TIG welder set for TIG on A/C around 110amps (for some of you someone else be welding this but it takes no time at all to do, so if they give you a stupid price walk... this will take no longer that 15mins if cleaned and ready to weld)

MAKE SURE THAT THE FITTINGS AND CAM COVER ARE SPOTLESS!!!!

SAM_0619.jpg

SAM_0620.jpg

as you can see when i wire brushed the cam cover just about all of the paint came off lol

ALL DONE :)

SAM_0621.jpg

i gave it another paint in the same colour :)

I hope this helps you guys. i will show you guys pics of it fitted too.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I recently did this using this guide and haven't had to cut and drill the OEM breather pipe.

I used a set of pliers and just turned it around until it came off, no metal leftovers at all.

Also I had the fitting welded on top of the cover just where the hole is where there used to be the breather pipe.

This way there is 0% chance of having leftover drilling metal stuck between the rocker cover inner plate.

Other than that, great guide!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

its a thermostat with a built in check valve so that when the car is of the oil does not run back down into the sumo it can only flow one way and it and it only opens up to allow oil into the cooler when it reaches a specific temperature

and no the rocker cover goes to the oil catch can located in the top right with a breather on top of it

the oil cooler follows the set up in the second image in the photo bellow
blue arrows is cold route and orange is when hot

Image12_zpse1efacce.jpg

Edited by rasslenny
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I am looking at designs on painting my rocker, do you think this was masked then sprayed to get the silver lines, or do you think its been sprayed then sanded down?

Maybe a dremmel type device to get the polished look on the lines?