Coilover Sleeves

Some of you guys might have seen these kicking about, they seem popular in the civic world

gc.coilovers_d.jpg

basically you just pop off the spring, sit the adjuster on the spring, tighten it down with o rings, then this gives you adjustable purch that you can wind up to lower the car.

a guide to install is here
/>http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/125720-diy-coilover-sleeve.html

0328081629-00.jpg

0328081647-00.jpg

Anyways, set of these are very cheap on the bay
/>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blue-Adjustable-coilovers-Sleeves-88-00-Civic-Del-Sol-Ek-EG-1-3-Lowering-Kit-/260861677282?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cbc914ee2

Could something like this be used on a standard strut or a kyb strut to lower a starlet cheaply?

Anyone got any photos or measurements?

Anyone that could get the measurement for both to compare?

Im not asking the question about ride quality, and obviously you would have to look into spring rates, however they are designed for small, front engine hatch so they could possiblly be ok out the box.

Anyone have any ideas/experience opinions?

You couldnt do it with a standard front shock but an aftermarket one could be do able. Most aftermarket shock spring combo's use that ^^^ standard sized spring (meisters bc d2) all do so if koni yellows do then a shock like that with these might work.

Then you would also need the right length spring and spring rate to suit. Do able for sure, ball ache... Most likely lol

I looked into these as an option on the ep85a while back but.............. From the reviews and research i did they are hard and harsh on ride and arnt very good for handaling when compared to a good shock/spring combo or full coilover set up. they are essentialy for a low and slow look wich is fine for shitvics and low riders but on a small turbo hatchback i think its more likely they will fail/break and you will end up in a bush. starlet handeling iant great out the box but i think these will make it worse. id honestly avoid things like this on a car like ours dude.

The stock front shocks are iirc about a 4" spring right? If not then they may fit ok.

But by my thinking/experience The coilover sleeves use around a 2" spring and the threaded part of the sleave also needs to sit in the right place, honda shocks have the cup that they sit in quite tightly against them so cant move too much, then there is also the issuse with the spring seating against the top mount.

Not saying i wont work just it would need some careful consideration ;)

I borrowed this image from a recent thread from HareSign, I hope he doesnt mind

DSCF1134.jpg

Here are some shocks, the only problem i see is on the yellow shocks the spring will be smaller at the top and the top mount wont fit.

Morgey, if you had a look at the guide i link, surely the rubber o-rings would hold the threaded sleeve in tight?

Yea i see what you mean, well going by that yes the top mount will be the problem, the other thing is the sleeve has a lot of support on the honda shocks ie it sits over about 4" of metal so it cant lever over/kink as much where as if doesnt seem to have as much area to sit over on out ep shocks. Which may mean they have a tendency to kink over if you no what i mean?

Yea i see what you mean, well going by that yes the top mount will be the problem, the other thing is the sleeve has a lot of support on the honda shocks ie it sits over about 4" of metal so it cant lever over/kink as much where as if doesnt seem to have as much area to sit over on out ep shocks. Which may mean they have a tendency to kink over if you no what i mean?

yeah i see what you mean there, the sleve will be over the dampening part of the shock

that could be an issue. maybe you would just have to be careful what shocks you picked as the silver shocks look better

The silver is the rear though, i think a koni yellow might be worth a shot if someone has a picture of one that would be useful!

yeah but he said that they are two different brands, so i gues the fronts for the silvers would be better

wahtever brand they are

• 1 year later...

had these on a civic I had ages ago were and absolute bollocks of a thing have little grub screws in the rings so they tighten when it came to mot time went to adjust them the grub screw rounded off so I had to hammer the rings around to raise the car I'd never get a set again