Coilover question

I had similar stuff on my old focus, Jamex coilovers for 180 and they were pretty decent

EDIT: Just discovered that the Pro Sport brand coilys are the new name of Jamex.

Edited by Weyro

On them vw coilys where does the spring seat?

On that silver plate or on the bottom of the top mount?

All you are really looking for is the starlet top mount to fit the vw spring cap and them make sure the bearings align or mate properly to allow for the steering to work.

And has anyone looked at the rears yet?

You don't use that silver plate at all on the vw coils. Top mount seats straight on the spring

(The polo coils are for 6n2 and 6n, they come with two front springs (straight spring + silver plate -6n) or (tapered spring and no plate-6n2)

Rears as long as the top of the strut is long enough and not too long too tighten down they are both eye mount so should bolt in and be fine as there is mess going on at the rear

Haha, lemme show you what ride comfort my previous car had

539609_373253682697927_100000398966818_1208970_145880755_n_zps3789addb.jpg

So, any 150 quid coilover will be like driving on a frikin cloud!

But on a serious note, i do want the sportif properly on the floor as i miss being low and i havent seen a properly slammed (not just a splitter hitting a speedbump, ahem) starlet before!

Either way, even if the damper is too wide or too short or whatever, it can always be turnt down and re-tapped!

And without out sounding too mickey mouse, itd be easy to get that top spring pan on a polo spring, all you'd need is, an angle grinder some snips and a hammer and maybe cable ties for good measure!

Edited by dan106
  • 4 weeks later...

What you need measured?

Is it really worth while doing though?

Those shocks are cheap for a reason mate they are pants. Surely if Dan wants a cheap set up then you would be better off with a good 2nd hand shock and spring kit tbh.

Someone posted a newly found make of coilies for starlets cant remember who from or what brand but they were only £350 or sumthing.

You could maybe find someone with a busted set of starlet coilies and use the top mount from them and a set of meister springs im sure you can get them new for £30 a spring or there abouts.

Maybe starts to cause the cost to mount up a little.

If no one has measured the diameter ill do it tonight and let you know ive just taken quite a tasty rare shock spring set up off mine for coilies.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tried a 6n polo coilover on the back of mine today, bottom bush is 20mm too wide, and the shocks were bottomed out way before it was anywhere near low enough, but the top mounts went straight on

Ps: I'm on the lookout for some starlet rear coilys haha...

Edited by dan106
  • 5 months later...

Try a mk2 golf rear coil over then as there Longer then polo ones

mk2 golf ( rears ) are way to long lads by 4" we need mk1 golf rears and mk2 golf fronts

check out my thread on tgtt al is explained

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?107505-the-budget-coilover-setup-for-starlet-(-185%A3-)-under-construction