4agte EP71 from New Zealand - 11.8@119mph

Thanks! The car originally had a 2e-elu in it which was EFI so it came with the standard EFI fuel tank and lines. All been upgraded now but the system is pretty much the same concept.

Its winter here so I havent done much on this lately - have driven it a couple of times but pretty much tied up working on customers car, some of which are very cool! Anyway, I should get back into it sometime soon to start the build for the new season.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished up a customers car so had a little bit of time to drag the car out and give it a clean.

img_5799as.jpg

Have got a list of things to get onto and a date set for the first event this year, time to get into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the aftermath from the above:

20171020_170250as.jpg

The garage has a lovely burnt rubber aroma now. I was pulling handfulls of debris out from the wheel arches - woops.

Also tried the Turbo S bonnet I have - really like how it sets of the front of the car. Will be painting that as soon as Ive finished smoothing out the patch where the intercooler scoop used to be.

img_5816as.jpg

Last shot of the engine bay for a while

img_5821as.jpg

And how it was 3 hours after the burnout

22690071_10154722365316829_2145573119_oa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I got reeaaaaally busy with customers builds which left getting the starlet ready to only a few days before the meet I wanted to make it to.  The head had a complete overhaul and I fitted some new TRD valve springs I've had for a while, relapped all the valves, checked seats and tolerances etc.  Also while the engine was apart I checked the oil pump and the mains etc and everything looks great.  After a few very late nights I had the engine complete and fitted with a whole heap of ARP bolts etc.

Next I got into building a new gearbox - not that there is anything wrong with the current one, other than its running a helical LSD and I prefer the clutch type lsd.  So I was aiming to build another c56, but this time with my new cusco rs lsd and then keep the helical fitted box as a spare. Eventually I will build a c52 with the longer ratios for track work but thats a fair way off being needed. The donor box looked good and I got most of the way through the job and realised I didnt have new diff bearings to fit.  So with only 48hrs till I had to be at the track I ended up giving the original gearbox a once over and putting the car back together with that instead.  I'll finish the clutch type box over the next few weeks and swap it over as its only a 45min job.

Anyway, at 1.30am the morning of the event the car lwas loaded on the trailer with a only a quick road test on 6psi under its belt. The day is by far my favourite race meet each summer with such good people, very relaxed atmosphere, good banter and plenty of track time, so was definitely worth the effort.

20171209_084114a.jpg

It wasn't without its dramas though, first run had one of the gearbox linkages come off after the first gear change. For the second run I bogged the launch as I was still taking it easy on the setup at 6psi and didn't quite have the grunt to launch in 2nd like I usually do. Third run I launched in 1st still at 6psi and it hooked up great with a 2.260ft but about mid track saw the external wastegate vent pipe come loose and bounce out from under the car which was good for a laugh but did take a couple of hours to fix.  I put these issues to down to rushing to get the car back together :) Luckily I managed to get the pipe and clamp from the side of the track but the vband flange on the pipe was bent and the bolt to the vband had done a runner. so it took a while to fix. Eventually ran a couple of 13.4-13.6 runs which is pretty good for low boost - 6psi.

wxbm1bea.jpg

After lunch I bogged the launch again in the first round of DYO so threw the keys to my wife for the rest of the afternoon who went on to run a 15.5 after a 3 runs! Pretty impressive given she has never driven it before let alone race and the clutch is a savage to get used to.

20171209_150617.jpg

Alistair had his 7agte KE20 out and ran pretty consistently in the low 13's on street tires and low boost.  This thing will run 11s on good tires.

bfgqar0a.jpg

Matt ran his 4agte 86 to a new personal best in the high 12's on street tires

5m38zff.jpg

Karl had a few issues but had good track time on his 4agte KE70

4dbaw2tb-q42.jpg

And Joe ran his diesel NA TD42 Nissan Safari pre the upcoming turbo conversion we will be doing so it will be interesting to see the improvements next year - all in all a very cool day!

20171209_145329a.jpg

Thanks heaps to Karl and Matt from Garage Dori, my brother Ryan for helping with the final prep, and all the Oldschool.co.nz guys for the banter on the day.

3ytjfto4-j1z.jpg

Edited by Stu
  • 2 months later...

I haven't really touched this thing since last year except I took my youngest son to playgroup in it last week.

27993536_10154988578236829_2470434626205

So other than driving it a bit I've been working on better ways to control the boost.  Looking back at the log for the 11.81@121mph run its pretty obvious that almost zero fucks were given to actually getting off the line nicely.  The launch was in 2nd gear and consisted of a rev limit clutch drop with no change in boost setting through the run - the peak boost was 17.3psi. So since the Link I run is pretty powerful I hooked up the speed signal from the factory reed switch that is inside the factory EFI (Si or Turbo S) gauge cluster.  In a factory scenario this is used for an ecu triggered speed cut. Unfortunately at mid speeds the signal isnt very clean so wouldnt be any good for an accurate speed input.  So I bought one of these.

27846460_10154964884986829_1635498718_oa

Its a speed sensor intercept that fits between the gearbox speedo take off and the cable the runs up to the dash.  This is a hall effect sensor so will be accurate at any speed and I just need to wire it into my ecu (signal ground, 12v supply and digital input to the ecu).  That way I can setup gear identification so the ecu will know what gear i'm in, and from that I can setup boost per gear and boost per speed tables.  So I can essentially run a lower boost setting in 1st (not that I launch in 1st) and 2nd, then have a progressive curve in 3rd by the top of third and whatever I need in 4th/5th.

Here it is installed:

27661297_10154964885076829_1654834253_n.

27848550_10154964885486829_988263502_n.j

27721323_10154964885551829_479765424_n.j

The ultimate goal here is to improve on traction and hopefully get the 60ft down to under 2.1 which isn't that great.  If I can improve the 60ft down to say 1.9 or even 1.85 then thats at least 2-2.25sec off at the other end if not more without adding more power.  Adding more power is also on the cars though and I will be retuning the engine back up to and over the current peak of 18psi that Ive had it on before.  

Next meet I will try to make is on the 23rd of March which is a Friday night meet when air temps are usually cooler so all things going well it should be back in the 11's.

More on other changes soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Haha yeah he loves it

I got it from a company called Robinson Instruments.  The factory output sensor output isnt that clean, it jumps around enough at low/mid speeds that I wasn't confident it would give me a good enough signal to base the boost tables on, Ive got a datalog of it somewhere.  The new sensor is amazing by comparison and Ive now got gear identification setup and am just starting to muck around with boost per gear and boost per speed overlay tables. 

• 8 months later...

Well, this thing has been in hibernation over winter.  I did drive it once to make sure it still ran, then left it till last week when I hauled it out of hiding, threw a new battery and some spark plugs and it and it fired into life.  Did a couple of small maintenance jobs like putting a new radiator cap on it and tidying up the battery bracket.  I dropped the fuel tank and swapped in a new Aeromotive Stealth fuel pump in place of the extremely noisy 044.  So so much quieter now and on paper its a better pump.  Big change was finally swapping on the modified Turbo S bonnet that has the scoop removed.  My brother organised for it to get painted for me and I'm stoked at how it looks.  Its also had a clean inside and out and Ive fixed up a couple of bits of trim that were coming loose.  Its currently got the full interior and im pretty happy with how its looking inside.

20181115_201308.jpg?w=900

I haven't really touched the tune on this thing since taking the head off and fitting the TRD valve springs and arp head studs well over a year ago. At the time I was under pressure to get the car going for the Oldschool.co.nz drags so once it was back together all I managed to do was disable the boost control and it ran 6-7psi. I also pulled about 6 degrees of timing out of the ignition map on boost so it has been pretty conservative since then.  So yesterday with the help of Kris, we road tuned the thing back up to 18psi and threw some more timing at it.  The change is dramatic and its a total handful again.  Its made me also consider changing back to the taller gearset at it just runs out of gears so quickly now.  Cannot wait to get this to the track.

Edited by Stu

Yeah Im planning on getting to the annual Oldschool.co.nz day in December.  The car is pretty much ready, just need to swap on the slicks and do a few small things.

I havent tested boost per gear yet.  Goal last weekend was to get peak power dialled in and then setting tables for lower boost is easy.  Im going to wire up launch control off the handbrake this time too and see how that works.  Ideally need to setup a clutch switch but its a job ive been avoiding.

Thanks!! Sorry not much more than the photos already posted.

The bars run from the firewall to top plats on the struts that the strut brace is bracketed off, then the bars continue forward and down to the chassis rail where there are crush tubes through the rail to another brace that runs forward and along behind the factory lower front chassis.