4agte EP71 from New Zealand - 11.8@119mph

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New manifold is done, very happy with how it turned out. Downpipe tonight then external wastegate merge. Its going to be a busy week! Hoping to get it running this weekend. The event I want to get to is the weekend after so no pressure...

So time has been ticking so burnt some more late night hours to finish off the manifold and fabricate a downpipe bend from 3inch stainless due to a lack of space for an off the shelf bend. Not my best work but will do for now.

20161203_110312as.jpg

Which ended up a bit like this.

img_20161203_155413as.jpg

Slammed some heat paint on the manifold. You can't see due to the angle but the external provision is around the back and comes off the very bottom of the merge.

img_4609as.jpg

And the whole lot ended up looking like this.

img_4608as.jpg

Many hours later it was all fitted to the engine, oil feed and return were done, a stainless sieve from the supermarket was transformed into an intake cover for the turbo, intercooler pipe modified (will change this completely later on), external fitted and screamer pipe (for now) made up, alternator output wire beefed up, everything slammed together (see photo in the post above) with new oil and filter and it started right up.

Took it for a quick drive and on a gentle pull at 6psi and 70%throttle to about 6000rpm the afr's have leaned out from 12.5 with the old turbo to 13.3-13.4 so its a good sign the new turbo is swallowing a good amount more air. Didn't do too much else other than small cosmetic things but nice to be driving it again. Its been raining so I didn't bother road tuning it - fingers crossed I can do that tomorrow (Friday). Still need to dump the old fuel and swap it for the fresh stuff I picked up today. Fingers crossed it all comes together for Saturday.

Haha yep there isn't alot of space available! Weather report is looking average so Im not rating my chances. Might be a case of just cleaning up the tune for 6psi and wait for a dry spell to do a proper run.

Oh man, what a hectic few days! Finally have time to sit down and post a few photos. So I got in a couple of hours of tuning on Friday and managed to get the fuel map reasonably close to where I wanted it and ran up to 16psi. Definitely a whole different animal compared to the old T04e. Where the T04e used to deliver power kind of like "nothing nothing nothing then smashed in the face with a brick" the new turbo is much more progressive. In some places of the map I was adding in 8-10% more fuel so its definitely gobbling alot more air.

So I got it close enough and felt it was good enough to just run some gentle run for the Oldschool Drag Day on Sat. Loaded up the trailer and relaxed with a beer. Next morning the weather report was looking crap but my mate Joe and I decided to drive the 1.5hrs to the track anyway as Meremere has its own weird weather patterns and often is quite different to the areas around it. Glad we did as the track was clear and dry up until 2pm so got 12 or so runs in. Off the trailer and launching in 1st gear at 6psi needed a 13.1 which was right on the money where I was at last time. Was playing with the tune as I went in between each run and noticed that some areas the AFR's were 10.8 which is epic rich compared to where I wanted it to be so there is still room for improvement.

At one point I decided to add in 1 degree of timing to a couple of areas in the map and this made a staggering 5mph increase in trap speed. Ended up launching in 2nd gear and managed a new PB of 12.4 @ 113mph off a 2.09 60ft and pretty soggy 1/8th mile so very happy given the un-prepped track. I was keen to add a bit more boost and some more timing but the weather packed in so will try again at the Nationals at the end of January. Will definitely get some more boost into it and get the timing side of the table a bit closer to the mark. Thanks again to Joe and Kris for their help. Swapped cars with Kris for a few runs, he has a very cool KP with a very serious NA 4age setup. I somehow managed to be fastest on the day (it was and Oldschool day with everything from Morris Minors to VW combis etc) so scored a sweet trophy.

Here's some photos:

15403875_454107751379979_858551693845264

img_4707.jpg

img_4704.jpg

This is a mates extremely tidy KE20 with a 280kw 7agte setup. He was getting used to the setup and ran a string of mid 13's.

img_4695.jpg

Beating on the poor KP

img_4674as.jpg

img_4660.jpg

img_4630.jpg0

15403691_454105768046844_680917131442170

15392797_454107604713327_250244520011409

15384467_656485334534134_634423861545712

img_4714.jpg

I need to make a decision what I really want to achieve with the car. Will leave it as is and fettle a few things till the end of the season and hopefully get close to an 11sec pass, but after that who knows. Ive been wanting to build an ae86 for quite a few years so maybe just tidy the car up and enjoy it as is rather than pushing the envelope too much more. Will see how it all pans out over summer anyway.

Edited by Stu

Thanks mate, pretty happy with how it went! It is jacked quite a bit both front and rear but from memory I can't get much more out of the rear due to the strut tower extensions and how short my struts are. I had them custom made shorter than usual. I might steal the rear BC struts out of my brothers Turbo S as they are quite a bit taller.

It does squat a bit even with 4kg springs front and 8kg springs rear so will invest in a set of 10kg springs for the rear and see how it goes.

Oh sorry didn't answer your question. The KP ran a best of 13.6 @ 102 which is pretty good for street tires (T1r's) and on an unprepped track. It's probably got a low 13 in it on a decent track.

It's my favorite event for the year even though the times are usually not that fast. So many weird and wonderful cars. Even a jet powered push bike!

Edited by Stu
  • 1 month later...

Well the Nats are coming up fast...

15622442_1199322580113941_31018762922384

And Ive done nothing as usual due to working on everyone elses car. Will hopefully get a day of tuning in at some stage. Still need to lift the rear suspension (if possible) and fit the side pipe.

Ive also scored a Turbo S midspoiler that I will paint up and fit, plus a Turbo S bonnet that has had the scoop removed so its just the raised section. Will likely slam some paint on the bonnet at home one day and see what it looks like on the car. If its any good will get it painted properly over winter.