4agte EP71 from New Zealand - 11.8@119mph

Thanks!

Another good day - solved the oil leak (loose fitting on the block oil line adapter), removed the under body brace so it doesn't grade the driveway, raised the rear 15mm, adjusted the panhard a bit, took the steering rack out and make a couple of adjustments, refitted and gave it a rough alignment, couple more heat cycles and some basic road tuning. Have had it up to 4psi, part throttle and 5500-6000rpm now - feels pretty strong and its not slow even with so little load. Map needs a bit of work but im running it on the lean side just as its running in and don't want to risk any bore wash. Clutch and brakes feel strong, suspension needs some tuning but feels good - the Fortune Auto coilovers are impressive! Will spend a couple of hours road tuning it tomorrow, hopefully nail the cruise map and get up to base wastegate spring pressure sorted. Will dump the run in oil during the week then start leaning on it a bit.

Not sure if this will work:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152396225911829&l=4954107283835808000

Edited by Stu
  • Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PC Link software for the G4+ ecus is awesome - im only using traditional mode tuning currently but the new modelled mode VE tuning is pretty trick! I've got quite a few inputs and outputs so there is alot to setup and tweak so even though the main fueling/ignition shouldn't take too long, the rest can takes ages to sort.

tune.jpg

This is a snapshot of the fuel tuning page - the ecu is offline so don't read into the numbers too much, this was from an original setup file when I first fired up the ecu.

I'll do a breakdown of the whole setup at some stage

Cheers!

Sunday we had a good session road tuning and have the run in tune pretty well sorted. Plenty more timing still to put in it so there is power to be had but being conservative still its done a few more k's. 162kpa (9 psi) and touching on 8000rpm. Feels very strong, sounds awesome (so angry) and my dodgy eyetromer wheel alignment is actually pretty good. On one of the first runs had a moment when the boost controller spiked to 18psi for some reason and its instantly smoked the tires in 4th so ripped the lines off so its back to base spring pressure - ive got a different solinoid to fit which will solve the issue. Had a tps fail but luckily I've got lots of them spare. Pretty happy so far, tractable and doesn't do anything crazy even at speed - no battling the steering wheel as it comes on either. Time to dump the run in oil and put the next lot in. Probably be a while before it gets wound up any more - so busy this side of christmas.

Log file looks like this:

log.jpg

I'm running the stock blacktop dizzy as its got the 24tooth and sync pickup needed - have taken the dizzy cover and rotor off and just blanked them with a aluminium cover.

Tuning quads can be fun and there are several ways you can do it. NA its usually recommended to run RPM vs TPS tables. You can do the same for turbo and just turn on a 4D table for boost fueling, or run the usual RPM vs MGP tables and try to get a good even signal from the quads manifold to the ecu

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an update now I've had it at the track.

As previously mentioned I managed to get a bit of a road tune on this thing with the help of my co-pilot KPR and we ran it in a bit at 6psi and 8000rpm. Not alot of timing dialed in so there's a bit to go. Did 60km or so of run in and nothing blew up majorly (except having to rip the lower brace off, raise the car and the tps falling off), so dumped the oil and took it to a drag day at Meremere for a hiding. Unprepped track and took a bit to remember how to drive (was I ever any good?) but managed a 14.01 @ 104mph which isn't too bad considering I was rusty/useless. Definitely a 13 in it without touching the boost - need to a) learn to drive it (less rape spec launches), b)setup the suspension better and give it more than an eyetrometer alignment, dial in more timing so it doesn't go like a wet blanket up top. Felt really soft in the higher gears and subsequently when driving it around its developed a miss from 6000rpm so there's still some fettling to do. Pretty certain its dwell time related as its only at 2.2ms from 6000rpm and drops away more as the rpm increased. Will swap in the bigger wastegate spring once the miss is sorted.

img_05211.jpg

img_05831.jpg

img_06541.jpg

Hey ...

Had me a tad worried TBH with this one !

Looks like the bloke about to challenge you may be considering a run in reverse Stu :unsure:

img_05831.jpg

What kind of intake temps does it have with such a big fridge stuck on the front ? !

Good time too ... How much torque steer does it have ??

As concern i have with what I building ?

Look forward to new updates.

Haha yeah i'm in lane 2 and Ned was on the return road - cool car that one, has a 7k in it.

Air intake temps are really good. Yesterday while driving around the ambient temps were high 20's and probably actually in the 30s on the road surface but air intake temps were close to ambient. It was super hot on the drag day and you get a bit of heatsoak waiting in the queue but by late 2nd gear they are back down sub 20 degrees which is pretty good. I've got some IAT based timing adjustment tables that pulls a touch of timing and adds just a touch of fuel to cool the combustion charge temp but they don't come into effect till 30+ temps. Until I log some super hot days and can log some runs its a bit hard to know where to adjust - have just set them up as fail safes at the moment.

No torque steer what so ever at this stage - might be different with a bit more power but currently its very easy to drive with only one hand on the wheel. With the old setup and ~200kw at the wheels I wasn't experiencing any major torque steer so hopefully this setup is the same.

Edited by Stu

Ah yes your correct - will amend my post above. Should remember my uni physics and the laws of thermodynamics, air intake temps don't get below ambient. In automotive scenarios that's really only possible with a water/ice to air intercooler setup. Just spent some time looking back through the logs while I type this and its obvious I should really concentrate before I press post haha. Have been looking at so many logs I was quoting from a different days.

Unfortunately I currently don't have an ambient air temp sensor setup (just AIT) so its not easy to compare the two other than from feel or the weather on the news.

I will try and find a good log for a long run and post it up. The temps don't rise very much and drop back down pretty quickly.

How much space do you have from road to wishbone ?

As you removed the lower brace im curious how the brace looks underneath :D

Stu how hot did the air temp become on full boost actually ?

and whats normal ?

I've heard numbers like 160 degree celcius ? is that correct ?

Its just the underbody brace that I fitted ages ago and have now taken back off - its still stock other than that. Will remake it at some point.

129%20-%20Underbody%20Brace.JPG

The temps are no way near 160 - I ran a really long log the other day pulling through 1st to the top of 4th which I am trying to find.

Hopefully will go for another test run today - been mucking around with the trigger arming voltage to tidy up a tiny miss its developed.

Ok here is a run from this afternoon - 1st gear through to nearly the top of 4th ~ 7700rpm before backing out (should really try and work out how fast it was)

Air temps started at 21 degrees and peaked at 27 degrees which I think is pretty good for a hot day although don't have any other logs to compare it against.

air-temp-log.jpg

Figured out why it was feeling soft up top and it happily winds to the 8500 limiter now. Still needs lots more timing so more to come. Will swap in the larger wastegate spring tomorrow all going well.

Edited by Stu

Hey ...

No torque steer what so ever at this stage - might be different with a bit more power but currently its very easy to drive with only one hand on the wheel. With the old setup and ~200kw at the wheels I wasn't experiencing any major torque steer so hopefully this setup is the same.

Thanks Stu ... Quite Interesting indeed :shok:

I would be relieved to know where and when it may become a drama with FWD as I was expecting to hear there would be huge torque steer Stu.

But out of all of those I read about, I would trust you ! ;)

Well nothing yet and at 13psi now and still havent had a proper alignment - just the old eyetrometer alignment

Need someone to sponsor me a go pro that I can mount inside haha

Edited by Stu

Update for you Dell, drove it in anger through some corners today. The alignment definitely needs work but I could hold a turn and change gear at the same time without any issues. Need to adjust the panhard a couple of mm. Im fairly certain the diff setup is the biggest contributing factor - getting the preload right ma.kes a huge difference to lock up.

Also had a bit of a shocker moment with the boost controller and spiked to 19.4psi - felt strong and looking back at the logs its a bit rich if anything and very little timing so super safe. Hoping to get up to 1 bar finalised with some more timing adjustments tomorrow then will set the boost controller back up and start leaning on it. Nationals are on Sunday so pushing it a bit fine to get it done

Edited by Stu