Steering feels floaty

Hey all,

My steering feels a bit floaty and when I go over a bump or anything the steering wheel will jump left or right depending on what wheel goes over the bump if that makes sense? Anyone be able to shine a light on what it may be? Thanks in advance :)!

The guy said to me he had all that done before I bought the car, I've only had this one for a little while now and took his word for it, think it would be worth gettin it done again? Cheers :)

I have some coilovers and alloys on the car already so hopefully I won't need to change any of that :). If changing the ball joints and alignment doesn't sort it I'd just have to do the elimination process I geuss :)

I wasnt sure if you had coilovers sorry mate. Also how old are the wheels and have you had them checked for straightness? Most garages will just balance them to zero regardless so you should have them checked with the tyre off.

You can probably replace the balljoints, track rods and track rod ends for about just over £100 if you do the work yourself. If that doesnt sort it then You will just need to accept the handling as I've done and just throw all the mods at it you can.

I have a sneaky suspicion with this issue that its somthing unlikely thats causing it rather than excessive play in something I've thought it may be a lack of resistance in the rack. Thats how mine feels anyway.

Thanks for the info man :) yeah mine kinda feels as if the wheels about to fall off constantly :(. I will do all the work myself so ill jut have to pay for parts thanks for the info mate, I'm definitely going to take your advice and make sure everything is true an proper :). I'm not sure how old the wheels are, they do have some quite hefty curb marks on the though (not by me :) ) thanks for your help mate!

Aye sounds like yours is exact same symptoms I have had. Ud be surprised how much a nice straight set of wheels. My shockers were shot aswell and when I changed that was a massive difference.

Just a case of changing all the parts I said and since your doing it yourself then youl be able to do it relatively cheaply could even do the arm bushes and anti lift kit would help. Personally I'm just gna throw all the handling parts at mine that I can.

Yeah I'm hoping it won't be anything relatively expensive due to Christmas and such, if all doesn't go well with the ball joints/alignment I think I'll take a leaf from your book and start replacing as many things as I can haha :)

mate dosent sound good to me im a mechanic if you can not see any paly in joints i think you have a lemon

my saxo was the same after fixing front end smash at 60mph check the sub frame and chassis is straight

sound alan

Edited by alan ball

mate dosent sound good to me im a mechanic if you can not see any paly in joints i think you have a lemon

my saxo was the same after fixing front end smash at 60mph check the sub frame and chassis is straight

sound alan

I very much doubt that id be absolutely blown away if this was the reason, mine was the same way and ive heard or others its just a starlet thing.

Edited by StuDoc 72

sound alan

ive checked all underneath and cant see anything that looks bent, i had a very good gander at it the other day and everything on the front looks to be straight and true so i hope its nothing like that, is there any good ways to check?

Mine felt asif the tyres were rolling off the rim. No visual play anywhere but changing the ball joints worked wonders.

At the end of the day if you can do the work yourself a front end refurb isnt the most costly thing in the world :)

yeah thats true, ive got the parts being delivered today hopefully and i can fit them all my self but i did notice the left side was worse and the ball joint does seem to have a bit of wear and looks to be broke, hopefully it'll just be that :)

are your coilovers adjusted right?

i think so yeah, i havent really touched them to be honest, i had them on my old one and they never made it feel as if the wheel is going to fall off haha, the top mounts on the coilovers were slightly loose but ive tightened them now but still have the same issue :(

HI,

TAKE YOUR CAR TO REPUTABLE GARAGE FOR A 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT,THIS WILL ENABLE CASTER CAMBER ANGLES TO BE CHECKED,AT THE SAME TIME ASK IF YOU COULD HAVE A POKE ROUND WITH A PRY BAR FOR ANY MOVEMENT IN BOTTOM BALL JOINT TRACK ROD ENDS,ANTI ROLL BAR BUSHES,BOTTOM ARM INNER MOUNT BUSHES,WHAT COILOVER ARE FITTED HAVE YOU CHECKED FOR SIGNS OF LEAKING?

PLUS ALL OTHER THINGS MENTIONED WHAT SIZE TYRES,IF ALLOYS ARE NOT QUITE TRUE, PUT WORSTS ONES ON REAR FOR NOW,BE CAREFUL AS SOME TYRES ARE ROTATIONAL.

BEST OF LOOK !