Alternator belt replacement

Well my alternator belt snapped on sunday, I managed to get home though it was about 5-10 miles.

I've never changed an alternator belt befor, I've had a look for a guide but i cant find one.

Does anyone know of a guide i can follow or some instructions to follow?

Also am i right in thinking that this belt runs the water pump? Might it have caused any other problems in getting it home?

If you are still not sure. You will need to loosen the 2 bolts the one below the alternator you can see clearly and the one above it that has the piece of metal that it can slide along just below the dipstick.

Once these are loosened with a bit of strength put your hand under the alternator and pull it forwards towards the front of the car.

Slip your belt over the pulleys stick a longish screwdriver or anythin longish and sturdy between the alternator and water pump and push towards the back of the car this tensioning the belt. Tighten your 2 bolts and sorted!

The other belt comes off similarly you just loosen off the adjustment bolts on the power steering pump. Theres 2 14mm bolts going in to the face of the pump and a long 12mm adjustment bolt down the front of the pump at the radiator which u use to tension the belt instead of a lever. You would be best of replacing both.

The other belt comes off similarly you just loosen off the adjustment bolts on the power steering pump. Theres 2 14mm bolts going in to the face of the pump and a long 12mm adjustment bolt down the front of the pump at the radiator which u use to tension the belt instead of a lever. You would be best of replacing both.

Cheers!

Edited by RandomDan

As for damage as long as you didnt over heat the engine i cant imagine any real damage has been done buddy. Just a swap of belts and your away ;)

It got hot but it never actually got into the red bit of the gauge.

Lucky it happened in the weather it did!

Shouldnt be too bad bud, maybe check your oil and rad caps for any sludge/mayo looking substance. Just as an indication to any head gasket damage. As long as it didnt get hot for long it should be ok like i say, but no harm to check for signs.

Cheers lads makes it much easier to picture what needs doing with the engine pic.

What about releasing the other belt? I cant see anything obvious.

Would it be wise to change both belts as they would both need to be off?

In this picture the actual pump has been rmeoved but the tensioner is still there (which i have circled in red). Simply wind this down with a 12mm ratchet, and the power steering belt will come lose. Remove the power steering belt to gain access to the other belt. Then IMO it's easiest to get under neath the car (once safe to do so) to gain access to the pivot bolt on the back of the alt and also the sliding bolt on top of the alt, just loosen those off (no need to take them out fully). Then put the whole alt unit up and the second belt will become lose.

Ok so there's the pic of the powersteering tensioner as said circled in red;

powersteering_zpsbab858db.jpg

And here is a diagram of the alt to show you what i mean about the two bolts.

altbelt.png

Hope this helps!

ohh my god!! WAIT, DAN - IS THAT YOU? WHERE THE FUCK ARE MY ORANGE CHOCOLATES YOU C-HUNT!!