A guide to fitting and setting up the Apexi AVC-R

I've just spent the day installing the Apexi AVC-R and playing with the settings and to be honest it would have been a lot easier with the following information.

So just to make it easier for anyone installing one in the future I'm going to do a write up and put all the links I used here to get it installed, running and working etc :)!

What you'll need;

AVC-R headunit.
Wiring.
Map sensor.
Solenoid.
2 metres of 4mm silicone boost piping.
1 or 2 6mm T-pieces (depending on external wastegate or not).

5 scotch locks.
Pliers.
Torch.
A beer.

Piping/plumbing

Firstly, mount your solenoid somewhere in the engine bay. I mounted mine on the front cross member behind the intercooler. That way its out of the way, close to all the parts the need plumbing in and the wires will be nicely hidden when it comes to running them.

NOTE* If you're using an ACTUATOR BUILT INTO THE TURBO, you need to use ports "COM" and "NO" on the solenoid and leave "NC" open/unused.

If using an EXTERNAL WASTEGATE you need to use ports "COM" and "NC" leaving port "NO" open/unused.

Piping in the ACTUATOR/INTERNAL WASTEGATE;

1.Run a line from COM to the nipple on the actuator.

2.Run a line from NO to a feed from the boost sytsem (typically the little nipple on the turbo).

Actuator/internal wastegate setup shown below.

AEM_Truboost_install_zps65ebc9b4.jpg

Piping in the EXTERNAL WASTEGATE;
1.Run a line from COM to the top of the wastegate.
2.Run a line from the bottom of the wastegate (flange side) to a feed from the boost system (typically the little nipple on the turbo).
3. Cut the line from step 2 and insert a T-piece, and run a line to NC.

External wastegate setup shown below.

wastegate-avcr-diagram_zps9235b82f.jpg

Next you need to install the map sensor. This will be the part that tells your AVCR exactly what boost pressure you're producing for an accurate reading!

The map sensor;

Apexi_499-X002_1_zps2518946b.jpg

Reading about, you're supposed to mount this with the nipple point downwards... I'm not entirely sure if it makes a difference, but do it anyway just to be sure lol! I've put mine on the bulkhead hidden behind the inlet with zip ties. Once you have mounted it plumb it in like so...

1.Run a line from the front of your inlet to your dumpvalve.

2. Cut the line in step 1, and insert a T-Piece and run another line to the map sensor.

Map sensor plumbing diagram.

avcrmapsen_zpsbe709d3f.jpg

After that's done, plug in the Map sensor and the Solenoid :)!

NOTE* Running the wires through the bulkhead is a fucking pain in the arse. I have no idea why they put such massive connectors on the parts, but there we go... To make it easier I cut all of the connectors off and then ran the wires through the bulkhead from the inside. Even like this it was hard. I ran the tube from my old boost gauge through the bulkhead and then zip tied all wires for the map sensor to the end, and gentle pulled them through by pulling the tube back... For the solenoid I still cut the connector off but ran these wires through the wing and took the indicator out to pull them through. When all wires were in the engine bay I added bullet connectors and made them water tight with heatshrink. This way it will be much easier to remove the bits if need be in the future!

WIRING

This is the fun bit. Get on your hands and knees and get comfy in the driver's footwell like a hobbit because you're going to be here for at least half an hour fiddling about just to fit 5 wires. (Micra owners will have it a bit easier here seeing as your ECU is behind the dash, which can easily be found by removing the glovebox)

Unplug the connectors from the ECU from behind the centre console under the dash on the driver's side (EP82 owners). Peel back some of the plastic covering to reveal the wires and give you space to splice into the wires. Next you need to match up your wiring to the diagrams below by splicing into the wire using scotch locks. Pretty straight forward... Have fun LOL.

Wire colours and what they are...

avcr1_zpse55eb913.jpg

NOTE* Throttle position is NOT needed on manual cars as the EP82-91 TPS is either on or off. So no point wiring in the GREY wire. You can add it if you wish although there is no point unless you have a TPS from an automatic starlet as that does use a progressive TPS... I can't remember exactly why you would need it, another feature on the AVCR that I've forgotten about :p.

Where they go:

StarletAVC-RPinout_zps473803ab.jpg

For the purple wire, USE RPM1.

After you have wired them in, plug the connectors back in, connect the head unit, tidy up your wires etc and mount the unit... It's time to turn her on ;).

SETTING UP THE AVCR.

To save a lot of writing, I'm just going to put this link in... I found it very helpful just reading through it...

NOTE* One of the main problems I had that I will mention is my RPMs were miles out... To fix this, go into the settings under "ETC", select car selection (or whatever its called :p) and put in the correct settings! For my GT it is a 4 cylinder, I left the SPD on whatever it was on (4 I think) and I put the throttle to " * * " as this means it isn't used!... As a preset it thought it was connected to a 6 cylinder lol, hence RPMs being miles out...

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=167038

I hope this helps a lot of people as it would have helped me a million! If I have made any mistakes or missed parts, please let me know and I will edit the post/guide whatever you wish to call this :p.

Thanks!

Adam.

• 1 month later...

Your an actual diamond!! Ive been looking for a write up like this everywhere for my external wastegate as my boost controller is boosting what ever it wants as i had just the bottom nipple from the wastegate plumbed in and the top venting but it all make sence now! You ledge!

• 3 months later...
  • 7 years later...