reasons for overfueling

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

ok i have got some new leads, and they made a small improvement... but nothing out of this world.

DSC00140.jpg

also i got a picture of the burning on the plug... has anyone seen this before?

DSC00141.jpg

ok i have got some new leads, and they made a small improvement... but nothing out of this world.

DSC00140.jpg

also i got a picture of the burning on the plug... has anyone seen this before?

DSC00141.jpg

It could be down to the wrong kind of heatrange of plugs.

If you really are still unsure, try new plugs.

What type are they bud?

theyre genuine toyota denso's for the 4efte.

anyone know what size gap the plugs should have? as i tried a 1.00mm feeler guage on one and it just fell thru it??

my guess is thats the gaps are at 1.10mm.

From the pics of the original plugleads it looks like water has lay in the sparkplug chamber for an extended time. It's common for this to happen as the seal isn't great on the pluglead. (Magnecor actually provide water repellant gel with new leads to prevent this issue)

Because the chamber is a closed enviroment the water gets heated and cooled repeatedly allowing it to penetrate and corrode the plug, the leads and the threads. The spark generated is affected by the moisture and leads to misfiring.

Normal procedure is to replace the leads, the plugs and ensure there is no remaining damp left in the bore.

It's a common issue that occurs if the engine is steamwashed, operated in heavy rain conditions or excessively subjected to H2O in general.

Replace those plugs mate.

Hope this helps.

Nicely said Jay.

I thought they were new plugs too Rich?

they were mate! denso's too!

thanks alot for the imput jay. that helps alot :p

i'll get a new set. maybe a set of uprated ones? what the best heat range plugs to get?

are they pre gapped too?

what is the recomended gap?

awesome thanks alot jay. youre a legend. :p

thinking back they were probably changed about 4-5 months ago, so they could probably do with being changed anyway.

well mine sounds like its running rough all the time, but i just assumed that that was the exhaust with just a rear can and no cat... but i could be wrong?

bit of a random question, but did yours idle ok on three?

i got overtaken by another glanza earlier... which was standard, so somethings defo not right.

i have faith in what your saying jay, but... if this doesnt work where do i go from here?

as i dont really want to get it rolling roaded if theres something internally wrong.

ok i got some good ngk plugs in there (non iridium) and it feels a bit better again, i havent had a good chance to test it but it still doesnt feel like its made a massive difference.

i rang toyota and it turns out that the gaps should be 0.8mm and my old ones were at 1.10mm! so it is probably doing it some good.

i was actually looking at a compression tester at work today, i think i'll get it tomorrow and give it a go.

my full spec is as follows:

k&n panel filter

gutted cat

2 1/4" straight through to the backbox exhaust system

boost contoller running .8bar

type rs bov

parts replaced:

oil and filter change every 6k (ish)

fuel filter

intercooler hoses

dizzy cap

rotor arm

clutch

leads

plugs

cheers again guys!

i think mines is overfueling aswell tho lol, after my glanza's bn allowed to 'stretch its legs' i get a nice big wiff o optimax lol, not too bothered about it cause it means that my pistons aint gonna turn into jelly lol

Just read this -- Running slightly rich will cool down combustion temps, but running overly rich can cause problems too like borewash and in the end perhaps ring and piston failure too! I wouldn't take it to be a good thing! That's why you should really get things like RRFPR's set up on RR's!

Going a bit deep to be honest lads, simple things are always the route of it, look how basic it was to tidy up the idle, plugs were corroded and leads were letting in water........not jumping in with MAP sensors and thermostats. Now we're onto tight valves? :unsure:

Do you know 100% its overfuelling? Have you had it on a 4 gas analyser yet? To tell you whats coming out the exhaust?

I still suggest he gets it on the rollers

well i had it mot'd a few months back which it failed to very high hydrocarbons i was told this was overfueling.

plus when driving, if you stop at some lights for instance you smell fuel, really strongly, plus when booting it loads of black soot comes out the exhaust ( ive been told this is another sign of too much fuel) plus i get loads of black spatter on the rear bumber.

as it looks like there is nothing wrong internally i'll consider getting it rolling roaded.

but in the meantime can anyone suggest anything else?

• 4 months later...