Anyone had problems with athena mls head gasket leaking oil

i had the block and head skimed before anyone asks. i then fit this new athena mls head gasket put every back together etc. then started the engine up within 5-10mins the head gasket was leaking oil at the front of the head at the cambelt side right where the oil way is. i then striped it all out to investigate and looked at the gasket i couldnt work out how this athena gasket would seal around the oil way as there were 2 holes and one of them has nothing flat to seal on against the head unlike the genuine toyota that can seal flat around the oil way on the head. . just wondering if some one has had the same problem whether its wrong gasket or a faulty one. thanks i no in the pic the head gasket isnt lined up where it should go. just showing where the oil way is that it wont seal against if that makes sense. 537012_10151315686270887_1641161396_n.jp

Edited by mark-tozer

Not sure but my engine had a decked block, skimmed head so it was smooth as a babys bottom and it was still weeping oil after being torqued down with ARP head bolts. It wasnt leaking as such, but you could see a thin film of oil going around the head against the block, definetly not a proper seal.

I wont use Athena again

Im using a 1.2mm Athena and its been fine, i also know a few people that used then and there fine, maybe a bad batch?

bad batch is rite,lot of problems latley with lads using Athena gaskets not sealing up as they should

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi ive just replaced the headgasket on my kz650 Kawasaki 1978 model because it was seeping oil at the front of the engine in between the down pipes. now the new gasket  is leaking in the same place. Guess what? its an Athena gasket.  The one ive replaced previous to this was also an Athena gasket. The reason for the gasket change to begin with, was because I holed a piston. I had no leaks with the original gasket which was an genuine Kawasaki gasket. So now reading all your posts about athena gaskets ive realised its not me going gaga, I've even resulted in using wynns oil leak cure additive to see if this will stop the seepage. So i think i might be going down the genuine gasket route. So strip down and get dirty again. I know this blog is for Toyota owners.  But the link is athena gasket issues. As an ex Toyota  mechanic for 20 plus years ive always had to fit genuine parts and never had an issue. 

Edited by Kwakers
Clarify why I'm posting on this page