Another set of melted pistons after remap...

So there we were on a drive out to the seaside when Sam decides to race an xk8 in my car. I was being nice letting him drive it for the first time since the cage went in to see what he thought. About 110mph and my car was still doing well! Then whoops, there goes number 4 piston.

Just being recovered now.

Who wants to buy a gt advance?

:(

Edited by funny onion
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol I would've made the meet just to make a point but realised just after I posted about it that I'm busy Sunday morning, but could still come across for the afternoon. Wouldn't mind popping it on the dyno with the new engine to check all is well. We will see. It won't win this one lol.

Gut feeling is that it's melted the piston or cracked it in two. I don't think it's just ringland damaged as it wasn't smoking as bad as you'd think but there was vacuum in the breather on the rocker cover, and it had sprayed the underside of the bonnet in oil.

Ill know today as soon as the engine is out ill take it apart while sam puts the other one in. Will be very coincidental if it has melted like taggy's did...

Oh I see. Yeah will be interesting to find out. It's either ran lean or the static timing was out most likely. The injector could've packed up I suppose. Soon as the new engine is in I'm booking in with will hinchcliffe at RDT (the guys whos mapped rob h's sr turbo) for him to map it. I would trust will to map anything. It probably won't make as much peak power but I'm confident that it will be running spot on.

Was it an original engine? They are getting old now and fatigue is getting the best of them unfortunately :(

Agree with that comment :) especially considering how much everybody asks of these engines over what they are designed for they do incredibly well I think