Another set of melted pistons after remap...

Just stripped the engine down while Sam is taking his engine out and I can confirm that the pistons have indeed melted. Extreme coincidence after taggy's as well? Hmmm

Not impressed.

Ill upload photos of them in the bores and once I have them out. The piston rings are CLEARLY visible. Not quite right somehow...

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pictures will be interesting..

and with taggys it wont be down to an old engine, as they were new forged pistons..

and this engine as well...

be interesting to see like for like each melted piston from both engines..

do feel sorry for you though..

how can you compare this too taggys ? taggy was runnin standard fuel lines for an ep70 and sat at jae bouncing of the limiter whilst running it in, down too a poorly built car imo.

I had my standard engine mqpped by td on td04 and that lasted 8 odd months off hard abuse till it died when i cooked it beingva doomroid,

what spec is the car charlotte ?

how can you compare this too taggys ? taggy was runnin standard fuel lines for an ep70 and sat at jae bouncing of the limiter whilst running it in, down too a poorly built car imo.I had my standard engine mqpped by td on td04 and that lasted 8 odd months off hard abuse till it died when i cooked it beingva doomroid,what spec is the car charlotte ?

I don't think it was poor built or the revving at jae. Engine would be plenty run in buy them. Run them in how your going to drive them I say

Running an engine in had nothing to do with pistons melting?! Especially FORGED pistons! It's exactly the same circumstances. The ignition timing or map was at fault clearly, and these should both have been checked prior to and during mapping. Running an engine in hard wouldn't melt pistons...

Even if its not, that doesn't make me feel any better? Nor does it explain why this has happened. I'm not starting a keyboard war. This is what happened and I'm not impressed.

Could the damage have already been there before and after the car being mapped it has made the problem show up. For example was your car mapped before or was it running a bigger turbo unmapped and when mapped the boost was turned up putting more stress on already damaged parts causing the above result. As without spending more money this will not be checked by anyone

My car was mapped by Weston before i bought it and the previous owner had turned the boost up above the map and when Td did my head gasket last year they told me it is showing signs of wear/det but I did not have the money to mend it so they mapped it anyway and its been on track multiple times which is a lot more stress than the road and done a thousand mile nurburgring trip with track time and never missed a beat.

Not trying to cause issues either not been on here long enough for that :)

Edited by Chris_14a

Have you tested the injectors just to confirm its not an injector failed? Gotta love starkets eh!?! Was just saying today how awesome they are WHEN they are working. Least you have a spare to get ya up and going again dude :)

Also agree with grant, bed em in the hard way! The late great mr b did the same with there sprint gt's as i was on the phone to him just as the where bedding the white one in lol and my 10k mile old forged engine was beded in the same way when first built and still is as mint as the day it was built!!! Taggys redline fun (aka trying to gas me while i was tented) was not the down fall of his engine to be fair

All 4 pistons melted, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't injectors...

I had the head off about 4 months before it went and everything was mint. I have photos of when the head was off to prove it. The bores etc were mint.

Im not spending money getting the injectors flow tested. what's the point? I'm not going to get my engine back at the end of it. The replacement is going in with a different set of injectors too.

Not jumping the gun, but two different engines have now gone in the last month, both the same way. This is not damage that has been previously done, how could it have been? Stock ecu and stock map do not melt pistons, if that was the case every engine thats done 100+k miles would have melted by now.

Yeah but a stock map with different turbo or setup can.

Depends on the boost pressure. Every man, dog cat, hamster knows the limits of these engines and what boost pressures can be run. You could slap a gt35 on a stock ecu, will still fuel fine below fuel cut.

Edited by AdamB

Didnt realise you had done all four in :( thought was just the one that was fooked. Not good atal. Pistons dont just melt, could probably count on one hand how often these threads apear over the years. Id pull the map off the ecu just to see if it sheds any light. Got to explore all avenues. Like you said, no finger pointing but doesnt look good tbh.

Depends on the boost pressure. Every man, dog cat, hamster knows the limits of these engines and what boost pressures can be run. You could slap a gt35 on a stock ecu, will still fuel fine below fuel cut.

I'm not saying you can't but when you start fitting fcd etc it can cause issues and every engine is different there are a lot of variables so there are no set limits comes more down to care and luck.

It had been td04 at 0.8 bar since September and the head came off in December and it was fine, I can dig the photos out.

No reason for that :) not trying to cause augments our anything just trying to work it out as it is abit odd

Not good atal. Pistons dont just melt, could probably count on one hand how often these threads apear over the years. Id pull the map off the ecu just to see if it sheds any light.

Do this if you can and put the figures up on here :)