Another set of melted pistons after remap...

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you are right charl does know her stuff. Plus doing physics at university also gives her a much deeper knowledge on molecular structure etc.

I just hope a conclusion can be made and even a possible solution.

The plugs were fitted at Td and I do believe they are ngk iridium heat range 7. Also while at td it had a new distributor cap fitted. Lets bear in mind that this was a standard engine with standard pistons etc. Maybe it was far too advanced ignition timing that caused this, but either way it has happened. Just a shame I was driving at the time and was pushing a xk8. :-(

Yeah I understand it was getting towards if not on the breach if what the stock internals can take. But that relates to the tensile strength etc of the components. How much shock and load they can take. The pistons don't spontaneously melt unless there's a factor which has caused them to do so.

I've not got the time or money to start sending bits away for testing like injector flow testing etc. ill be buying a gasket set and bearing set from idrees very soon and will have to do some ringing around until I get a reasonable price for a crank regrind and head skim so I can rebuild another engine. It's going to put me out at the very least £400. I would buy an engine from someone on here but I'm an obsessive person so I'd end up rebuilding it anyway.

I'm surprised nobody has tried to tell me it's because I run it on 95 haha. People seem to have heart failure when you tell them you run and import on 95.

Edited by funny onion

Do you know your afr's? My guess is that you ran dangerously lean.

229bhp looks like great figure at 1 bar, especially mapped on 95ron. With almost exactly the same setup as you mine made 218bhp once I'd swapped the 370's for stock injectors. It made 202bhp on 370's but my fuelling was so rich it ran off the chart (<10:1) although I was told it was as safe as it would ever get. With stock injectors in (everything else was equal) it was running mid 11's:1, even touching 12.2:1 at one point. That is obviously way too lean for full boost and would eventually get me into a similar situation to the one you're in now. My GT was mapped on 97+

So yeah, that's my 2p. Personally I reckon it's a fuelling thing rather than timing, if not a combination of both.

There are obviously multiple companies that have ample experience when it comes to the 4e but with everyone obsessed with their bhp figure it makes you wonder whether tuners are pushing them to the edge for a few extra horses...

Edited by pacman

Yeah I understand it was getting towards if not on the breach if what the stock internals can take. But that relates to the tensile strength etc of the components. How much shock and load they can take. The pistons don't spontaneously melt unless there's a factor which has caused them to do so.

I've not got the time or money to start sending bits away for testing like injector flow testing etc. ill be buying a gasket set and bearing set from idrees very soon and will have to do some ringing around until I get a reasonable price for a crank regrind and head skim so I can rebuild another engine. It's going to put me out at the very least £400. I would buy an engine from someone on here but I'm an obsessive person so I'd end up rebuilding it anyway.

I'm surprised nobody has tried to tell me it's because I run it on 95 haha. People seem to have heart failure when you tell them you run and import on 95.

It been mapped too 95 so theres no real problem there.

What i dont get is how you can say the timing is too advanced because if it were itd have died a long time ago and itll have come up on the dyno, and with the changing yiur dizzy shiwed you had an ignition fault which they rectified.

I know i sound like im trying too defend them but im just looking at it logicaly.

It been mapped too 95 so theres no real problem there.

What i dont get is how you can say the timing is too advanced because if it were itd have died a long time ago and itll have come up on the dyno, and with the changing yiur dizzy shiwed you had an ignition fault which they rectified.

I know i sound like im trying too defend them but im just looking at it logicaly.

So tell me what you think caused it then? I don't mind people defending them or whatever just looking for peoples thoughts on how it happened. As I said they have hundreds of happy customers and I'm not trying to take that away from them. It's incredibly easy to sit there saying all of this stuff when is not you in this situation (that's not a dig by the way).

I've been advised by numerous professionals that it is VERY LIKELY an ignition timing or map issue.

If it was slightly too advanced it may have behaved accordingly on power runs etc because they don't involve holding boost solid at 100mph plus. Once the power peaks the mapper (should) let off. Hence if a mapper is redlining you're car on a power run they clearly aren't doing something right (depending on gear ratios to an extent but as a rule on a normal gear set power will peak before the redline if you're using the correct gear)

The problem arose when full boost was held solid (in 4th gear mostly) for a prolonged time at high revs.

They map cars in 4th gear so theyll have gone fast enough not for a prolonged time though like you said, because in reality were not sposed too be doing 100+mph are we realy.

If you believed it was down too timing why didnt you check it before you stripped it ?

Personaly i think its just bad luck, theres too much of a blame game nature going on every where these days and people seem to forget that things sometimes just happen.

Edited by Starbo Moorley

So it was my fault my engine melted because I was speeding? And that anybody on the drag strip or track shouldn't be doing 100mph really? I don't understand? I paid £600 for them to make it safe at high rpm's etc. other than say that I shouldn't have been going that fast you don't seem to be able to give me a mechanical reason as to why you think it failed.

The head was off in early December and the static timing was checked and double checked with a timing light. It was fine. I didn't check it before it went to be mapped because that's one of the most basic things they should check. And clearly with taggy's the static timing was an issue.

As I said before I don't have the time or patience to mess around testing shit and paying for flow tests etc. I need my car back on the road. Once it's back on the road it's going for a full pdi and remap. Hopefully the issue will be Identified and corrected. In the meantime ill be downloading the map to have the figures checked etc.

I cant give you a reason till ive seen the facts, it takes you all of 5 mins too check the timing and you didnt have the time or patience too check it ?

I dont mean too sound like im having ago at you, yes you maybe right but theres no facts yet.

Regardes the speed comment, the engine designers didnt design the engine too do high speeds reguarly as standard never mind with 100hp more, my car died because of high speed runs and that was fine for 8odd months (td04 1bar 215 bhp)

Im not saying speeding caused it but high speeds for a prolounged amount of time aint doing your engine any favours.

Edited by Starbo Moorley

The timing light wasn't at the lock up when we got the car recovered. A friend borrowed it to use while working on a clio (i think). I would've had to somehow find a way of getting it the following day with no car, time drying which the engine could've been out. Good old excuses excuses.

So for the sake of this argument then lets assume that it was my fault because the timing was out.

I hate it when some one questions my abilities to set the static timing. Find it quite offencive.

The distibutor was bolted solid to the head. So therefore unless someone else has touched the two mate bolts that hold the distributor on since myself rebuilding the head, the timing should be set and remain set.

I will personally check today the rotor arm to make sure that it also tight.

Edited by Flaminsam

There is one thing i will never do without and thats my wideband, i have mapped mine myself on an e manage blue running 1 bar td04 and going strong, i no what i done to the car i no my air/fuel and i have no det, a wideband and some det cans is a little price to pay to monitor your tune weather it was done by a pro tuner or not, i would imagine the tuner checked the static timing while mapping if he where any good, i would say u ran lean and melted pistons.

Edited by triple j

I hope you get it sorted soon. I never know what i'm looking at when it comes to the photos of knackered pistons etc.

They map cars in 4th gear so theyll have gone fast enough not for a prolonged time though like you said, because in reality were not sposed too be doing 100+mph are we realy.

That's like Kwik fit telling me they couldn't re-balance my wheels to stop vibration at 80mph because that's above the speed limit, idiots. If a car is capable of doing 100+ then it should be mapped to do it safely. There are quite a few reasons why this could have happened, fuel pump not delivering, blockages in the fuel line, fuel filter, fuse blown on the injectors, etc.

Edited by Arnold

I hope you get it sorted soon. I never know what i'm looking at when it comes to the photos of knackered pistons etc.

That's like Kwik fit telling me they couldn't re-balance my wheels to stop vibration at 80mph because that's above the speed limit, idiots. If a car is capable of doing 100+ then it should be mapped to do it safely. There are quite a few reasons why this could have happened, fuel pump not delivering, blockages in the fuel line, fuel filter, fuse blown on the injectors, etc.

My fuel filter were fuked in my car so i had it changed whilst on the dyno, got me an extra 20ho after sime more twaeking lol !

Was it at night it went? What was the air temp? Static ignition timing should have been checked before touching a laptop, try and get the ignition and fuel tables off the ecu if you can :)

Speed or rev's have nothing to do with it, thats what a rev limiter is for, to save the engine from any damage.

Edited by AdamB

Where did you get your petrol? With the ecu been so finely tuned. If you got rubbish petrol out of a garage that could have easily done it.

Also as said above these engine are pushing 20yrs old in some cases. You are pushing them to the limit. Shit happens.

We will look out for your melted piston post

Can't believe you guys try and defend these guys it's clear there doing something wrong

There not arsed they have your signature a there disclaimer and you ££££££ in there pocket

When will lessons be learnt

This isn't true atall... Very nice guys who are always there to help