Independent-ish Rear Susp conversion/Rear camber has been done

yeah not independant suspension. but brake upgrade is certainly interesting.

i always thought if i ever got dab handed at fab work and welding id look more into this maybe..

7th_pic_01.jpg

these are relatively similar floorplans to our starlets if im correct.. and they have independant rear suspension capable of camber..

cutting the rear supsension outta one of these and mating it to a starlet..

just one of my many thoughts when im bored at work pondering lol.

Edited by snails ep91

My thoughts exacty, having had experience with corollas for ages brother owning 2 ae92's and myself a zze111 I've had a plenty of nosing around.

The rear setup is on a subframe bolted to the chassis, 4 bolts for that and then the 2 bolts on the trailing arms and its off. All you then have to do is mount this subframe to the starlets chassis, And shorten all the arms bars with screw in rose joints for adjustment fairly easy to make.

Only thing i can see is the spare wheel well might need removing.

Heres my rollas rear subframe

41D86C01-3615-4CD5-B1DC-94E633B76C0A-699

Edited by morgey

I would think about mounting the subframe to where aftermarket RARB's are bolted through the chassis. Does the rolla IRS not have its own ARB? As they are normally attached to the subframe, starlet way is just a bodge lol.

You need to loose the beam. Each wheel has to be able to arc by itself without the other side moving. (If the anti roll bar was disconnected that is)

If you see in the picture of my rolla, the arms attached to the hub only go to a mounting point on the chassis so are allowed to move independently of every other wheel :)

I would think about mounting the subframe to where aftermarket RARB's are bolted through the chassis. Does the rolla IRS not have its own ARB? As they are normally attached to the subframe, starlet way is just a bodge lol.

Yeah thats what i mean when i say starlet chassis.

Yeah the rolla setup does have its own arb but it has its own mounting point on the chassis for the D bushes. The chances of finding the rolla's arb to mount up anywhere near anything is very slim haha

Oh ok thanks for explaining!

My first car was one of those Corollas, a Sportif SE 3 dr. Loved how that handled even on stock suspension and 14" steelies, lift off oversteer FTW :)

No worries man :)

I even after all the money I've chucked into the starlet handling wise i still prefer my corolla.

whether it was on its stock suspension and tyres, apex ae92 lowering springs(soft as warm toffee) and speedlines or stock rears with apex springs on the front (really weird to drive) its just a much more confident car in the corners.

The starlet corners faster due to the better tyres and less weight transfer and roll etc but near the limit the rolla is so predictable and smooth where i know as soon as the starlet hits its limit its guna snap and bite my head off lol

i always thought if i ever got dab handed at fab work and welding id look more into this maybe..

7th_pic_01.jpg

these are relatively similar floorplans to our starlets if im correct.. and they have independant rear suspension capable of camber..

i want one of these badly! 4AGE if i'm correct?

Edited by Billy SR

^^^Dont ruin my dream by getting all technical :(

It can be done but would need to do some maths to make sure it not going to completely f up the geometry. It's some thing I will be looking at doing soon. But I would want to make double wish bones and hubs from scratch. With loads of adjustment and using the original shocks with a few different lower shock mounting points for more adjustability. Get it dialed in perfect then.

That ones a FX-GT aka top spec!

Grant that sounds mega, i might have to pic your brain at some point about all that technical stuff. Or maybe you could point me at some websites that explain it a bit. Be good to know the theory behind a good setup :)

Indeed you are, silvertop 20v and superstrut suspension as well which is some crazy shit! Lol

one was on ebay once, but i didn't have any money at the time :( just think they look the bollocks in black