EP Performance Red TOM's EP85 4WD Build - The Ultimate Starlet... IT'S ALIIIIIVE!!!

Well lads this whole project started off with a conversation between a few die hard Starlet enthusiasts in my shed. A few customers were up with their cars getting parts and we got talking about the whole Toyota v Honda scene in Ireland and the rivalry and so on.

The conversation soon moved to who had the fastest car, what bhp people were running, big projects being built, what worked and what didn't etc etc.

The main problem we spoke of was grip and getting a Starlet off the line compared to a low torque Honda who doesn't have to worry about wheel spin. Even my own 383bhp Glanza suffered from grip problems... A savage untouchable car out on the open road but turbo lag with a big turbo and wheel spin on the launch in a FWD car was always a problem.

After much debate we all agreed that 4wd would be unbeatable. I was then asked what would be my Ultimate Starlet if I could build it?

Well I would love a 4 wheel drive EP85 in red with a full genuine TOM's kit and built solely for drag racing. No holes barred! I said I didn't want insane horsepower, just manageable horsepower that would be enough to embarrass a few smelly Hondas :)

My ultimate Starlet would be a 4WD replica of the TOM's ep82, with decent horsepower around the 300bhp mark. What more could I want? Power, grip, great looks and very fast turbo spool.

"With all the parts you can source then why don't you just build it?" they asked. So that was it... The dream was now going to become real! I was set on the road to build The Ultimate Starlet! No expense spared... No shortcuts taken!

With the following images for inspiration... I started my task :)

imagejpg2_zps16278ea9.jpg

imagejpg3_zps97cc300b.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsbb3b5880.jpg

You can see my progress below:

I started by picking up this 4 wheel drive ep85. It was original red which was a huge bonus for the TOM's look plus the shell and running gear was excellent! A great base from which to start!

image_zps429aef17.jpg

image_zpsc779549e.jpg

image_zpsf30b16fa.jpg

image_zps2b93fe21.jpg

I am building this car purely for drag racing, it won't be used as a road car. I would be grateful for any help and advice along the way from any of the 4WD experts on here.

Complete spec will be left somewhat vague for now as the racing scene here in Ireland is very competitive. I won't be talking up the car lets just get her built and see how it runs, although I have every faith it will run very well.

I have a full genuine Tom's kit here and GT Turbo mouldings kit so eventually it will be getting a full respray in red with this kit but for now I like the sleeper look!

First thing is first... The starlet was put on a severe diet plan!

I want to lose as much weight as possible so this started with completely stripping the inside of the car. Out came the front seats, back seats, door cards, quarter cards, spare wheel, all interior plastics, roof cloth etc...

image_zps1ebd2456.jpg

image_zpsd42b682a.jpg

It was amazing just how much stuff wasn't needed anymore! I want to try and weigh the whole lot to see just how much weight was saved on the car.

image_zps3407d96d.jpg

Out came the complete floor carpet...

image_zpsf7363d15.jpg

Any further unwanted nuts, bolts and brackets etc were also removed...

Out comes the dash... The clocks will be mounted directly to the crash bar that braces the centre of the car

image_zpsf4d21650.jpg

Heater boxes, heater matrix etc all went too!

image_zps2452e621.jpg

I also removed the interior loom running to the doors and the rear lights as this is no longer needed. Every bit of weight counts! :)

image_zps4ca6cf4e.jpg

Finally she looked like this!

image_zps79a46ffa.jpg

image_zps1a9a4bb5.jpg

Not a bad start :)

I will further reduce the weight with the angle grinder and a holesaw tomorrow.

Engine is coming out tomorrow. My front mount intercooler and piping was sent off to be mirror polished today so when they are back we should be ready to get the beast together :)

Well guys had another hard days battle with the car today :)

Engine is finally out! It was a tight manouvre!

image_zpsc9c32a6b.jpg

We took the engine out separate from the gearbox to see exactly how the forged engine should go back in. We then removed the gearbox and transfer box and split the propshaft halfway along the car.

Once the engine and gearbox were removed it was clear to see a lot of chipped paint and marks etc in the bay so I stripped down the lot and arranged to get it painted. It should be nice and fresh once the new engine is in.

image_zps46a79ec8.jpg

image_zpsf4ef2ae2.jpg

How that I've decided to paint the engine bay I have decided to paint te inside now also. The outside will be painted at a later date.

Over 6kg of thick sound roofing and excess seam sealer was removed from the car. It was a painstakingly slow job with hammers, chisels and flathead screwdrivers lol! More weight gone (muhawhaw!) :)

It started off well and it came up quite easily...

image_zps8401b03e.jpg

Until we got to the niggly small bits which seemed to take forever to chip away at!

image_zps3c9054ba.jpg

Chipping away...

image_zpsac5d741d.jpg

Driver's side complete...

image_zps66763d7d.jpg

Passenger side complete...

image_zps0345dd5f.jpg

Boot well finished...

image_zps2dbceafa.jpg

Behind the firewall was a complete and utter pain in the sack to do!

image_zps655ee11f.jpg

It took forever and was very fiddly with the shape of the firewall but eventually I got finished...

image_zpsf2b7d88b.jpg

The car is gone to my mates to get the engine bay and inside sprayed...

He started the prep work today so we will have more updates very soon :)

Edited by Browner
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John still looking for a good GT Advance and a clean ep71 boxy starlet turbo...

Silver gt is bog standard extremely clean car. Was imported as a grade 4.5 only 72,000kms on it. I would hazard a guess it may be the best surviving one in the country the car won't be faulted

John still looking for a good GT Advance and a clean ep71 boxy starlet turbo...

Silver gt is bog standard extremely clean car. Was imported as a grade 4.5 only 72,000kms on it. I would hazard a guess it may be the best surviving one in the country the car won't be faulted

might be the best gt in the country but its not the lowest mileage, i got my 92 one at 65000km with full jap service history from the day it came from factory ontill it landed in ireland, love this build by the way.