EP Performance Red TOM's EP85 4WD Build - The Ultimate Starlet... IT'S ALIIIIIVE!!!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers lads!

@ daniel_g I just want to get it finished and driving and then get it painted with the full genuine TOM's kit on it. So will be leaving the box standard for the time being.

Over the winter when I am busy with Christmas stuff I will be sending the box off to be custom built and will be getting custom made diffs for her and possibly uprated shafts. Rome wasn't built in a day I just want to get it together first :)

Regards,

Conor.

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up these very, very clean Starlet fishnet Recaro seats for the beast...

They don't have harness guides but I wanted to keep to the Starlet theme and let's be honest there isn't a nicer seat out there than fishnet Recaros.

image_zps755b3cc8.jpg

I finally found two TOM's harnesses to go with the seats. I think they look great and are probably my favourite part of the car so far!

image_zps8e502d38.jpg

image_zps7e370a26.jpg

image_zpskg1c3ijw.jpg

I have also got these custom made low position sliding seat rails for the ep85...

image_zpsf8d739e8.jpg

I picked up this complete Apexi AVCR Electronic boost controller in almost new condition too...

image_zps031d8bae.jpg

image_zps982ada0b.jpg

This civic rad mounting kit also arrived...

image_zps92d63230.jpg

That's all for now folks...

Regards,

Browner.

• 6 months later...

Not a major update folks but I'm still sourcing the last few parts for this TOM's build.

I managed to source two original TOM's strut braces, both in their original colour and never painted. One front strut brace and one rear one...

image_zpsxwoxaqjq.jpg

image_zps8inapnts.jpg

A genuine TOM's radiator cap... The larger size to suit my alloy half rad

image_zpsbgnkpslh.jpg

This is my favourite item I have got in a long time...

A genuine TOM's alloy gearknob in red... A very, very rare JDM item which I gave stupid money for! It's the little touches that make it though!

image_zpsntwz7acz.jpg

image_zpshizgpxi1.jpg

image_zpslykhrbx9.jpg

Next on the list I'm trying to find is a genuine TOM's alloy oil cap in red. Can anyone help me?

It looks like this...

imagejpg2_zps53813e3a.jpg

Another lovely find I got was a set of genuine TOM's New Action wheels for the car. They are 15" 4x100 7JJ, a very hard size to get. The wheels are spotless the only problem is there are no center caps with them. I need to source a set ASAP! I will pay good money for some if anyone can help me. Here is a pic below...

imagejpg1_zps1c448d40.jpg

Also collected this clear cambelt cover...

image_zpsl07sqinf.jpg

image_zpspk8mzdjj.jpg

And this TurboSmart external wastegate and brand new gasket to suit my WEPR drag manifold...

image_zps6gxn0hkv.jpg

image_zpszibm0xya.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Got going at this again today! More pics and updates soon...

My new triple core radiator arrived its an absolute lump of a rad!

image_zps5u8vywsd.jpg

I sent it off to get mirror polished and it came up very well...

image_zpsre5hrl3o.jpg

I took the rocker cover off to fit new AN8 breather fittings and then get it mirror polished. The cylinder head was spotless clean. Some of you may notice my custom high lift cams too! :)

image_zpsqrfh1ao1.jpg

image_zpsacoqzq9v.jpg

Well guys I finally got motivated and got stuck into this again! It's all systems go once again! Lots of updates for you all and lots more to come...

First of all I got my new TD04 hybrid turbo and got the exhaust housing ported and polished to the size of the gasket opening for better flow.

Before porting...

image_zps7d8uopno.jpg

Porting and polishing process...

image_zpspvrmfuer.jpg

image_zpsbr01itbv.jpg

image_zpsqmpibk3b.jpg

While the turbo was apart for porting I got the compressor housing machine polished and also my rocker cover. New polished AN8 fittings were welded in for breather pipes on the rocker cover. The turbo compressor housing was rotated to suit the top mounted turbo kit and the oil return set facing the ground. This leaves the oil feed perfectly in line on top and gravity will do the rest :)

image_zpsx4ayjvjv.jpg

Next on the list was to sort some seat rails for my fishnet Recaros. The floor pan is completely different to ordinary EP82's due to the tunnel for the propshaft so ordinary rails will not fit. I've looked and looked and looked but EP85 Recaro rails seem to be impossible to find so we went about making our own!

We bought some high grade stainless steel, took some measurements and roughly mocked them up to the floor of my grey RWD GT Starlet. My RWD Starlet has the same floor pan as the TOM's drag car so was ideal to mock up the rails to without damaging the freshly painted inside of the drag car.

image_zpsyng0vm9s.jpg

image_zpsraaosvjs.jpg

All welded up...

image_zpslyhimqfp.jpg

image_zpsnbfi8peu.jpg

Once the rails were test fitted and all was ok, I took them all apart, sanded, etch primed and painted them...

image_zps8haebclc.jpg

image_zpsnxvhzxws.jpg

They were hung up for easy painting and were left to dry after several coats...

image_zpsfeevlmne.jpg

image_zpsuxoa10ne.jpg

I wire brushed the clutch slave cylinder and painted it silver...

image_zpsgdvkit8e.jpg

While they were drying I fitted the HPI engine damper

image_zpslhmelbqn.jpg

image_zps3cxtfriw.jpg

Next on the list was the turbo kit. The manifold bolted on fine but the rest of it was an extremely tight fit. The turbo and one of the bolts on the exhaust side of the turbo kept fouling on the manifold but with some "gentle persuasion" I got it to line up and bolted everything together. On went the Turbosmart external wastegate and I refitted the newly polished rocker cover with a brand new rocker cover gasket and new rubber washers

image_zpsaenf9wiw.jpg

image_zpssrbc4unm.jpg

The turbo needs to be rotated another little bit as it is pointing towards the front panel. The oil feed was ran from the filter housing to the turbo. I will prime the turbo later before start up.

image_zpshzpob21l.jpg

image_zpsqswkx0qc.jpg

In go the coilpacks once again...

image_zpsagracjpd.jpg

Now my next problem, the new slave cylinder which I fitted as the original one was hitting the manifold, is now fouling on the downpipe... Back to the drawing board once again!

image_zpso1tblwgr.jpg

Time to take a break and have a wee think! I taped up the turbo and all the engine openings to protect it from dust and any harmful foreign bodies...

image_zpsorlyl84e.jpg

I am thinking of making up a new Downpipe and exhaust but I want to stand out from the crowd and be a little different. The obvious solution for this problem was a bonnet exit exhaust but I didn't really fancy that idea.

I was looking at some of the cars on the American drag racing scene and a lot of them are now running the teardrop shape exhaust tips. I was thinking of a conventional side exit exhaust but that's been done loads of times and is boring to me now! The new plan is to fabricate a wing exit exhaust and have it exit out through the drivers side front fender. I am going to stick the screamer pipe out the bonnet. The pics aren't great but here is some rough pics of the look I want, except straight out through the wing!

image_zpszixlhtdw.jpg

image_zpsibwaxldp.jpg

image_zps3t7zjoec.jpg

image_zpsaoxyzwcw.jpg

I am going to use titanium for the exhaust tip. It is very lightweight and depending on how hot you heat it, it turns a lovely bluey-purple colour. It should look nice when finished.

image.jpg1_zpszkdmimzi.jpg

Back to the seats! The rails were fully painted, put back together and bolted up to the seats. The sliders were. Given a good coating of grease before fitting

image_zpsrirzjsu6.jpg

Driver's seat and TOM's harness fitted...

image_zpshyarpuux.jpg

Passenger side done...

image_zpsalb2gjqv.jpg

TOM's gearknob added for the finishing touch :)

image_zps4wixh7ue.jpg

image_zpsadzdx2nl.jpg

I think they look mean through the window

image_zpsop1esqyg.jpg

Next I fitted the ultra lightweight fibreglass bootlid to see what fitment was like. Unfortunately it was fouling on the roof and wouldn't open or close properly so it will need some sanding

image_zpssleftxof.jpg

The standard boot latch wouldn't fit so we had to pop the rivet out that holds the key barrel wire...

image_zps0weizfn4.jpg

Next I mocked up the ultra lightweight fibreglass racing bonnet. With some small work and some adjustment to the hinges it should fit perfect.

image_zpszemrkheu.jpg

image_zpsww2lbj2f.jpg

Next up was to mock the rad up to see what space we had to play with...

image_zpsm6rqjjis.jpg

image_zpso65y6vox.jpg

The answer was no space whatsoever! Even with the radiator mounting bracket and rad maxed all the way over to the passenger side. The rad is still touching the downpipe...

image_zps7qotz8rj.jpg