Sefton-EP91’s 98 Spec Forged Glanza

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've spoken to sacha and he said said the blown gasket won't help and to take the boost up abit. The turbo isn't even within its efficiency range until around 1.2bar, It's being pushed to 1.4bar in the near future but as Mike said at TD. You can't change the speed a turbo spins. Once the boost has been lifted I will update again! In all fairness I'm getting use to it now!

Edited by Sefton-EP91
  • 1 month later...

Update..

This is the video of the dyno run, a little late but oh well!!

th_957F77A9-7909-4225-B91A-59F90D935816_

Couple more little things, I have sold the WEPR turbo and bought my self the td300 billet td04 turbo from tuning developments. I have my reasons for this which is mainly down to the lag.. The WEPR billet turbo was very good but was just too Laggy for what I was after, so the td300 was the turbo of choice!

I am going to get this fitted next weekend (13th June) I have booked my next mapping session with tuning developments for the 4th July!

65E099F9-C4E7-42FC-8935-71F8EF834235_zps

B55406F0-6C53-4228-9739-FAA74626D686_zps

I wanted to start tidying up the interior and exterior so I bought a new gear gaitor from Toyota!

OLD

E544F20F-25F1-4FD6-AB05-B7BB197C49EA_zps

NEW FITTED

4616639E-E974-40BF-B17A-ABB3B66E7C91_zps

For the outside I brought this 98 spec front bumper from jbglanza which I will be collecting tomorrow 5th June.

F228A5D1-1C55-4575-9E08-576563C8A813_zps

I bought a touch up pen from Toyota aswell so I could start to fill in a couple of stone chips.

For now that's it but I'll update in the near future once everything is fitted etc!

Edited by Sefton-EP91

Aww that sucks about the Turbo mate, especially as the first one was last during transit. The fact that full boost isn't made till 4 grand isn't that bad. Means you can pot around like a 1.3 without boosting all the time.

The difference between mine and my brothers Starlet is night and day. Mines all spool no go, his is all lag and lots of boost. I say all lag, It isn't 4K but then it's only 0.65 bar.

Also it's BOUGHT not brought. You bought the touch up pen...

That new gear gaiter looks good! how much did that set you back if you don,t mind me asking?

Thanks mate for the kind words, the gear gaitor cost me £35 from Toyota :)

Aww that sucks about the Turbo mate, especially as the first one was last during transit. The fact that full boost isn't made till 4 grand isn't that bad. Means you can pot around like a 1.3 without boosting all the time.

The difference between mine and my brothers Starlet is night and day. Mines all spool no go, his is all lag and lots of boost. I say all lag, It isn't 4K but then it's only 0.65 bar.

Also it's BOUGHT not brought. You bought the touch up pen...

Haha my bad I bought the touch up pen lol

I know mate but it's just too Laggy, I was gutted because I have spent ALOT of money in the turbo kit and it just Isn't how I want it to be, I'm hoping this td300 turbo will be the one! :) I'm sure it will be! Mine spools from about 4k then 1bar is around 5k and then it's like BANG! Every bit of power goes straight to the front wheels in one instant! Wheels spin etc lol

My aim is to get the above but earlier in the rev range :)

Just a small update...

Went and picked up my 98 spec front bumper from jbglanza.

When I got home a gave the bumper a quick once over with some G3 and it's come up mint! All the little blemishes have gone and it's as good as new! I'll get a photo of it fitted tomoz but for now here's a photo of it before I gave it some G3! :)

413923C4-31A1-40B7-9C80-021878E0E899_zps

You will love the td300 lag isn't an issue mate :)

That's exactly what I was hoping to lo hear!! :) can't wait to get it fitted and then mapping on the 4th July!!

Edited by Sefton-EP91

I forgot to mention in my last post I also picked up this mint bench seat for the rear! Mine has a tear in the top of it. I bought this from jbglanza at the same time as the bumper!!

082385D9-8C45-4222-9C93-329D9502A192_zps

As above aswell I have booked mapping for the new td300 turbo for the 4th July! So hopefully all goes well :)

Edited by Sefton-EP91

New photo of the front end!!

4C80B9BE-7D9B-494D-84AE-88C6F3764AC2_zps

I'm so pleased with it now! Next weekend cannot come quick enough! Get the new turbo fitted and 4th July is mapping day!!

I keep thinking about having the wrap removed from the roof, kind of going off it abit! What's everyone's thoughts?

Looks good man, I think removing the wrap would give it a much cleaner look but that's just my opinion. Lovely glanza man.

I'll take that on board mate :) thanks for your input! I appreciate the kind words! :)

I got my new turbo fitted today, just need to do an oil change before I go to tuning developments for my mapping on the 4th July :)

What I couldn't believe is the size difference in the two turbos, the WEPR unit is a fair bit smaller! This is seen is the following picture!

CD98B619-8303-43E1-AD18-0458332C063E_zps

62A7F301-FA13-45E0-91D9-DA6628A3A555_zps

CDE839C6-F366-4104-ABDB-120B7C854D72_zps

That's it for now!

Edited by Sefton-EP91

Actually it's not smaller Steve. The td uses 11-blade wheel, ours is a 6+6, they are the same size But 6+6 is more efficient in the td04 compressor housing. We have tried the 11 blade wheel before too. If using with stock td04 turbine side, it will surge with anything over 1.5bar. If you had compared the turbine side you would have noticed that our stage 2 turbine wheel Is much bigger than than the stock turbine wheel on the td-unit. What you have now will spool faster and make less power. Our stage 2 is lagier, but capable of 1.8bar efficiently and more power overall.

see below...

here's our old 11-blade billet Vs. 6+6 cast wheel (our stage 2 has billet version of this same wheel) ....

10514692_10152260468102809_7606592170618

11-blade looks bigger visually right? take the housings off and break out the vernier calipers and guess what...they are the same size... :)

14855_10152260465722809_1306440857781478

Not taking a dig at Td's turbos...its a solid combo/product..but its limited to 1.5bar and 300~bhp roughly. Our's is made for 320-330bhp...but all that extra horsepower comes at the expense of extra lag. for road, i think you will be happier with what you have one now mate.

Thanks for the info Sacha it's much appreciated! I understand what your saying about the two turbos but I want it to be abit more responsive :) comparing my dyno graph with one of the td300 turbos I will make 253 hp around 2000rpm earlier which is exactly what I want! So all in all this was a better choice! In the photo above the td300 compressor housing certainly looks bigger! Thanks again for the info!

• 2 weeks later...

I was driving to work this morning and when I pulled up I left the wheels slightly turned.. Noticed this...

2956C07B-2E1E-48F5-A1A0-5190A961B82B_zps

I honestly didn't know it was like it so I have a pair of rainsport 3's on the way for the front and next month I'll be ordering another pair for the rear. I'm not driving it until new tyres are on so rest assured lol

I had the rainsport 3's fitted this morning and the wheels balanced, what a difference! I am unable to enter the "boost" margin at the moment as I'm still un-mapped but even with no boost and a nice bendy road they are awesome! Really are worth the money.

The car is booked in for mapping tomorrow so I will can really put the tyres to the test once the mapping is complete! :) can't wait!