Wiki - C52/C56 Info & Identifying

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would take the casing with a pinch of salt tbh, the gears could have been swaped over at somepoint. The only real way is to split the box and work it out, driven/driver.

I used to get around the 100mph out of my old mk2 GT that had the silver timing belt cover with the thicker rods. Then I changed engine and gear box to a newer one. That was the black timing cover engine. And could never get more than about 95 with that set up. Both were on stock ecu. I believe the thicker rod engines were only in mk1 and early mk2 the mk3 all seem to have the black timing belt cover

Edit; tire size was 195/50/15

Edited by turbo Grant

I would take the casing with a pinch of salt tbh, the gears could have been swaped over at somepoint. The only real way is to split the box and work it out, driven/driver.

Obv if gears have been swapped but 95% of time people just throw them away and put another box in.

Believe you can ask for which one you require parts for. Although as fair as I'm aware it purely is just the 2 gears which are different, the use the same synchro's, bearings, etc.

Just pop on toyodiy and get the part numbers from there.

If you give them the numbers then they cant get it wrong. Be aware gears are like £200+ from toyota though haha

Oh and syncro's got revised so will be different to your originals ;)

Edited by morgey

Well it was just I have a 97 Glanza but put an aftermarket box in (with LSD) and The casing looks spot on to a C52, but if it ever rebuilt and you gave the chassis number you might get parts for a different box :blink:

Erm i going to have to shit on everyones door step here. I've just ha another look at the wiki.

Its the c52 that has the flange as it was used to mount the selector assembly in the rear engined 4age powered Mr2's

The c56 is a revision of the 52 which was never intended for use in a rear engined car so didn't require the flange to mount any selector assembly to.

Heres a link to another guide, which imo is still wrong but you get a better idea,

http://www.ben9166.com/2010/05/how-to-recognize-c56bt-c56st-and-c53.html?m=1

Personally first box is a c52, its what im running atm, ratio's are different from an ae92 c52 but looks are identical.

Second is the c56 without the flange

3rd is the c52 with flange setup for Mr2. Some may call it c53 or something else but its the same box.

From what i can gather, c52 (casing atleast) was upto about 95-96

With different gearsets fitted which determines C52-56.

Late spec c56 (no flange) should be 96/7 -99-00

But as toyota are a bunch of useless **** and didnt lable anything knowone really knows as its just speculation!

And any C series can be bolted together as long as you use the bell housing from the car you intend to fit it to. The c series has been being used from early 80's iirc and went on to late 20**'s it may still be being used now tbh!!

Edited by morgey