• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha function over form

100% haha. Most of the car is runs with that philosophy.

Just read through all of this, cars looking lovely mate, and you've spent some nice time getting it to where it is :)

Good efforts, look forward to seeing some more updates!

Well thanks for taking the time to read over that! All the pics are away.

4 years last month i have owned it! Sat about broken for the majority haha.

Whipped the plugs out yesterday and found ive melted one. So bought a set of NGK BKR7E. Hopefully the rest of the ignition system is ok for now.. it does need updating soon though.

Not really sure whats up next.

Midland turbo have my TD04.. 'oil contamination' so might get billet wheels put in. I have a 0.83bar EWG spring arriving.

Crail on the 24th

Comp test was 180 - 0 - 180 - 180

So i stripped the head off.

Exhaust valve on cylinder 2 has had it if you look closely at the pic.

All is good though! Bore is fine and there is no damage to the flat top Wiseco! Just a small mark (which will buff) not a dent.

Will order another 0.5mm HG.

I have spare heads to steal valves from. I will built it back up in a few days 8)

Edited by daniel_g

Oh shit, what you think caused that Dan? Maybe knock?

Yeah bit too much heat in that cylinder for sure. The knock sensor was changed a couple of weeks ago. Swapping injectors aswell.

I am going to be replacing every aspect of the fuel system over the coming while, including getting a fuel cell.

• 4 weeks later...

So after a bit of fuckin about this is now back together, running and driving.

Sent the TD04 off to midland and whilst it was getting rebuilt i've had a billet comp wheel installed too.

Also bought a massive intercooler, with rear outlets to the top, so slam panel will be getting the chop, also gonna have to fire the Gi FRP bonnet from my MK2 onto this, it has locking aero catches.

Battery relocating kit arrived so will need to get round to that at some point aswell.

20171004_075304.jpg

20171002_171649.jpg

20171002_102452.jpg

On 01/12/2016, 12:50:54, daniel_g said:

Ended up scrapping that N/a after not very long, it was a terrible daily, in every way! Went and got a legacy saloon.. then got a wagon again 8)

Havent forgot about the 4paw though! Bought some forged rods and pistons for it, will be collecting the rest of the parts in a bit. Pistons are wiseco 74.5mm, and went for Maxspeeding rods, the engine builder im gonna use swears by them. Will be going for a 0.5mm HG and ARP headstuds not bolts :)

A 4paw welded rear diff, solid prop piece and front CVs came up for sale nearby so had to go get them haha.. thinking put the solid prop in which removes the viscous coupling, and fire the welded diff in, this should give me 50/50 power split.. and probably very poor handling, and 2 broken halfshafts :/ Or i could take the front shafts out and have it RWD.. although i will 100% die, especially when its forged and the TD04 is at 1.4bar :D

20161201_145505_zpspkqel1rc.jpg

I've also bought the GT shell which won TOTB twice a couple of years ago, theres a few bits on which i might switch onto the 4paw ;)

Hey mate ...... is it that ARP sells the studs specifically for the 5E cylinder head or is it that you or someone else measured the bolt specifications (thread, pitch, ......) & just chose a stud with the same thread specs? I am interested to know as i will be ordering a set of bolts soon but i know studs are the better route to go.

Edited by jiggaman_16
20 hours ago, daniel_g said:

Hi buddy. The ARP studs you need are for a 4AGE. The block and head machined, they are not a straight fit.

20170521_203038.jpg

O.... i c u did it already. First i'm actually seein a pic of the stud conversion. Looks good. Should hold down real good too.

Edited by jiggaman_16
  • 7 months later...

Well its been a long time since this was updated. A lot has happened.

Ditched the custom exhaust that stainless creations had made for this, in favour of a side exit, using my old 5zigen border 304 box.

Mounted a fairly large intercooler which just about fits minus some metal upfront, which was replaced with steel bar.

Ultra racing 4 point under brace is now fitted, along with a 18mm EP85 FARB, poly D bushes, poly drop link bushes. New ball joints and wheel bearings.

Replaced the wastegate with a new compact 4" turbosmart unit.

Best purchase recently has been a new Link Fury ECU. (Crazy amount of features)

This will essentially modernise and bring the car up to a relevant standard.

Also its the best protection my engine is gonna get!

4 port boost solenoid controlled via the ECU, Link knock sensor, oil pressure sensor, Link 4 bar MAP, Bosch 4.9 LSU o2 sensor via the ECU etc..

I will be switching to electronic throttle body and pedal with COP ignition in due course.

Had a loom made up and the map is still to have a few tweaks here and there, but so far its very impressive. No power figures as of yet as with being 4wd it wont go on a hub dyno so has to be road mapped.

Made it up to Crail for Banzai to sit on the grass for a change.

20180228_154658-1080x1080.jpg

20180307_191453-1080x1080.jpg

IMG-20180509-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20180510-WA0012.jpg

Awesome stuff man! Glad to see an update on this.

Great choice of ECU, been looking at e-throttle myself keen to see how this goes. Haven't seen anyone else using one on this forum.

What are your plans for the conversion? Welding on a new throttle flange to the intake?

I was looking at gt86 pedals and bosch motorsport e-throttle body if i was to do it myself

I will be getting a Bosch throttle body, OEM for a RS. Probably use a spacer if not weld it on.

Was ideally wanting a 76mm (to match my intercooler) from a 955 but it would be a struggle to fit to a standard inlet. 

Yet to see an aftermarket inlet that i like.

As for the pedal, doesnt need to be anything crazy, OEM Delphi & Bosch 6 pin will do.

Benefits being, superior idle control, cruise control, boost by throttle, also makes a difference when setting up the motorsport features.