starlet oil pressure,what should it be ?

i have a starlet turbo sportif

just fitted a oil pressure gauge and would like to get an idea of what its meant to be out of interest ?

cant find anywere what the pressure should be which i am puzzled about

what should it be cold idle,warm idle,warm at say 3k revs etc ??

is this a big secret or have i missed something

after ages of searching i have found the answer

TOYOTA MANUAL recommends no lower than 7 psi at warm idle but a few people have idle pressures of around 15-20 psi upwards and in most cases 25-30 at idle is thought of as very good

as for revs TOYOTA MANUAL says 3000 rpm should show 38-52 psi.

somebody said theres is 56 psi at 5000 rpm

so there u go guys.............

I have replaced a stock pressure switch with Depo oil pressure gauge and it shows following values:

cold idle 5.5-5.9bar

hot idle(900rpm) 1.3-1.6bar

1000rpm(hot) 1.8-2bar

3000rpm(hot) 4.3bar

Using Mobil1 super3000 5w-30/5w-40 fully synthetic mix

• 3 years later...

Think I may have a problem. So it started with the oil light flickering I changed the oil pressure switch and that stopped the light from coming on but a freind suggested installing an oil pressure gauge so I've done that. Now I'm not seeing any change from cold to warm it's just sitting at just above 1 bar unless I rev the engine it goes up as the rpm goes up. So it seem right with what Adam has said 1 bar for every 1000 rpm but I'm not getting 5 bar on a cold idle

Any input on this would be much appreciated as I'm at a lost end googling it

Have you tried another pressure sensor or gauge? Can you trust the gauge reading?

If so, you have a problem, and I'd be worried about running the car for any length of time as is.

I could buy another gauge but its brand new how wrong could it be ? Ive took the car off the road for now as I don't want to damage it but I can't find the problem. Is there something inside the sump ? I've heard people talk about it but I don't know what's its called. It something the could possibly stick open or shut

It's called the oil pressure relief valve, people tend to put a 1mm washer in and it gives a higher reading, what gauge have you got in at the moment?

1 bar is 14 psi, believe this or not toyota recommend no lower then 7 psi, which is abit low if you ask me, on first start up when cold is it only going to 1.4 bar? If you got one of them dodgy eBay cheap gauges in, that would be a good start to change that.

Yeah it's just a shitty ebay one. Yeah first start up it's only reaching 1.4bar. Think I'll order a new gauge to start with then if that doesn't change I'll go for the pressure relief valve. So really it's not sitting too low going on what they recommend? Just don't want to drive it till I'm sure

Cheers that's been a big help

I'm sure it's 5-40 fully synthetic

Just ordered an oil pressure testing kit that should give a more accurate reading. Could it be something as bad as that ? It's had a full rebuild and is fully forged.

Don't know exactly how long ago mind you

So just put the oil pressure testing kit on to see if it was the gauge that's knackerd. It's went from bad to worse.

Started the car and it shot up to 1.5 bar I let the car sit until it was warm and the gauge just dropped slowly to 0

Almost time to take it into a garage