Blue smoke on tick over and on boost.

I have a ct9 custom hybrid made by Liam d at midland turbo and am having a few problems.

I have carried out a compression test again for the second time and results cam back at

172 psi across all four cylinders and with warm engine and WOT.

I haven't carried out a wet test again but going by my last results which were done about a week ago they came back at 220 across all four cylinders.

Here is a small video of my problem...

th_20140329_123139_zps57ef5717.jpg

I have had the turbo sent to Liam twice now. The first time was a full rebuild and second time was inspection and replacement of centre section.

Any advise is much appreciated and thanks in advance :)

Also it's very distinct when driving and can be intermittent.

Edited by Sefton-EP91

Yes the turbo was primed before fitting and it does seem to be more blue than white. Like you say it does look white but it definatlly is more of a pale blue. It's used half a litre since last week (fitting turbo for the first time) as far as I can see it's not using coolant but I must admit I haven't checked for a few days.

I have noticed a considerate amount of water sitting in the tip of my exhaust. Even of which I know is too much to be moisture..

I also had a feeling that It could be the hg but I also feel it could be valve stem seals. If need be I will have to do both at the same time :)

I did do a sniff test last week and came back fine but I think I will do another one just to be sure. I have been told that zisco are doing a group buy on valve stem seals but I can't seem to find the link lol I will do another sniff test and check the coolant level and feel back. I will also carry out another WET compression test to see my results. Thanks Aky for your help.

Gutted to see you're still having problems :( my money would be on stem seals as I had a similar problem with my old starlet and that's what it turned out to be.

Hope you sort it dude and let me know if theres anything I can do

I would say stem seals buddy. Rings sound good with the compression test so I wouldn't say its them. Only problem is that its head off to do them really. Ive heard of the rope down the spark plug hole trick but you will hate yourself if you drop a collet down the engine somewhere. :(

Thanks for everyone's opinion. Tbh I'm glad you have all said valve stem seals because it now gives me an excuse to replace the hg. I suppose I will have to get on the case of buying all the parts.

Gutted to see you're still having problems :( my money would be on stem seals as I had a similar problem with my old starlet and that's what it turned out to be.

Hope you sort it dude and let me know if theres anything I can do

I was going to text you later but I had no doubts in my head about the turbo hence why I put it in engine section again lol I will set at gettin parts. I will keep you updated of any changes mate :)

I would say stem seals buddy. Rings sound good with the compression test so I wouldn't say its them. Only problem is that its head off to do them really. Ive heard of the rope down the spark plug hole trick but you will hate yourself if you drop a collet down the engine somewhere. :(

I had also heard you could it with the head on Sam but I think I'm just going to go the whole hog and do the hg as well. Have head skimmed, OEM head bolts etc. thanks for the reply mate it's much appreciated :)

Following our phone call today Liam I am going to attempt at rotating the compressor housing on my old turbo and see if I can fit that. I will then let you know what happens regarding that :) I am pretty sure it's not the turbo. When It idles it's now just "white-ish" smoke until the throttle is pressed which would then turn to thick blue when the throttle is pressed. Thanks mate.

Worth noting that the turbo would smoke on overrun (after you've came off boost) normally. Just make sure that everything's fine on the car like engine breathers etc as in my opinion something will be forcing the oil through the seals making it look like the turbos at fault.

You know where I am though mate!

Definatley sounds like valve stem seals.

Just drop Keith or Kon a PM for the stem seals they will sort you out even if the group buy has ended.

Thanks H for your input. Im going for valve stem seals and hg along with a few other bits whilst its all apart. I have purchased some valve stem seals and a few other parts now :) thanks anyway mate much appreciated!!

Edited by Sefton-EP91