My Tuning Developments Forged NIGHTMARE and The End of the GT

Hello,

We covered all transport costs to get your car back to us, and resolved the issue you had. Your car ran fantastic and made excellent power also. Too much for an automatic in our opinion, but it went well regardless.

Thanks

Mike Jones

Tuning Developments Ltd

yes you did indeed cover the costs to get the car to use but I still had to pay for the trips back home and sadly this happend twice which resulted in me forking out 300 quid :(

my heart sunk when it failed specially so soon I remember my lady saying "so much for bullet proof" felt like a mug after spending all that cash and been broken down and nearly killed by stupid other drivers...

to much for a auto?? really.?. I thought it was not enough haha...

Edited by iamlegend
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Understandable. You've been close with them for ages, taking the S14 there for work etc.

I am not taking sides but threads like this never seem to get anywhere regarding any tuner. I have been going to td for years as you say with no problems as im sure many other people have .

Edited by Chris_14a

The car was stored at your premises as the engine and parts etc were taken to your machinists for checking and left there according to the FB replies for 5 months before u collected them to be put in the car and brought back to me. The delays between were a case of waiting for the engine to be removed, then for the machinists to do the checking and then the 'machinists' closed and waiting for your responses whilst we tried to work something out between us and waiting on the claim process.

You collected the car and used it for 6 months before reporting another issue.

That is correct. Dec-Feb/April running in period. March checked and greenlighted for proper use. Returned with issues after japfest May. As stated in original post.

I won’t get into an online argument, just putting our view across which is very often ignored and not considered.

Which is why this thread was left open, as is the case for any feedback thread.

When the car first returned it had excessive play in the turbo, as agreed we kept hold of the car and proceeded to strip it down, finding the turbo to be damaged along with other parts.

The Turbo (you supplied) grinding on the housing causing the metal on metal noise was the reason I took it back to you. It was from that you found the cause to the first demise.

This rocker cover was not made, nor supplied by us

That is correct and as stated by yourself at the time was an 'oversight' that it didnt get fully checked. Due to this, as mentioned, we both agreed that a second one be sourced and checked throughly by yourselves before fitment.

maintenance and usage are things we cannot do anything about....

it's a brand new engine. Tell me what maintenance it would need in the 2000miles it did before coming back? Oil change in another 1k.... So what else. As for usage other than using it as a forged engine should be used I don't know what else you could be pointing towards.

What u provided wasn't fit for purpose and has never lived Upto the claims.

Marc

Totally understand and this is not a one off with TD experiences, here's mine

I had a forged engine built by them, engine out and back in including clutch, bigger injectors etc, i found a company supplying upgraded stem seals called Zisco, whom have cars running 400-500 bhp on these with no issues and no reported issues with them in the Starlet scene.

All in all i paid in excess of £3000 for the honour, the day i collected the car it was smoking on tick over and i suggested stem seals but they said it may be down to the compound and they need bedding in so away i go to run the motor in.(More like damaged when put in)

After 500 mile, still the same so i contact them and they say it maybe my TD04 that was the issue, so i strip the turbo kit out and send away for refurb( Liam D), rebuilding the car with all new gaskets etc and guess what still the same.

I then run the car in taking it back for the re-map and it is still smoking, after the remap they say it maybe the PCV so away i go and change that to no avail, calls them again, struggling to keep it together!! they agree to send another turbo out as they insisted that the engine was all good, again i stripped the turbo out and replaced with another turbo using new gaskets etc and still the same!!!!!

Another phone call and they agree to take a look at the engine, 4 months pass by of pestering and i receive a call to say the stem seals i supplied had failed!! but it had been smoking from the day i collected it!

Obviously there were various messages between us as i said they had fitted them incorrectly damaging them as they installed them, this was going no were in the end i ended up paying another £360 to sort it. In all they had the car 6 months to sort the stem seals.

I was out of pocket for Turbo refurb, PCV, my time and lost hours of use etc.

It was the stem seals they were clutching at straws to avoid them rebuilding the engine but it was them that had incorrectly installed the seals you can understand my concerns on the map, and this is not the only car that has had issues at TD, this was one reason for taking it to Will for a remap

Really going to miss you in the Starlet my friend

John

Hello,

Your engine was the first time, and last time we will use the seals in question. We have since removed them from other engines with the same symptoms, those seals were not installed by us.

There was no damage to the valve stem seals when installed on your engine, since installing genuine Toyota seals, I believe you have had no further issues.

Regarding cost, you did not pay £360.00 to repair, far from it. After removing the cost of other parts which were fitted as requested by you, it leaves a balance of less than £150.00 to repair an issue that wasn't our fault. This doesn't even cover the cost of the headgasket and valve stem seals.

Regarding your map, there was nothing wrong with your car, see the boost vs fueling curve below for your reference:

N491VLJAfter8_zpscc7683e1.jpg

Thanks

Mike Jones

Tuning Developments Ltd

Hello,

Your engine was the first time, and last time we will use the seals in question. We have since removed them from other engines with the same symptoms, those seals were not installed by us.

There was no damage to the valve stem seals when installed on your engine, since installing genuine Toyota seals, I believe you have had no further issues.

Regarding cost, you did not pay £360.00 to repair, far from it. After removing the cost of other parts which were fitted as requested by you, it leaves a balance of less than £150.00 to repair an issue that wasn't our fault. This doesn't even cover the cost of the headgasket and valve stem seals.

Regarding your map, there was nothing wrong with your car, see the boost vs fueling curve below for your reference:

Thanks

Mike Jones

Tuning Developments Ltd

Mike

The car smoked from the day i collected it, it was the fitting of the seals that was the issue, there has been no other starlet that has issues reported with Zisco stem seals.

I was out of pocket for turbo rebuild,pcv,gaskets and my building time all advised by you

First and last response and i will not be returning to TD

I am not taking sides but threads like this never seem to get anywhere regarding any tuner. I have been going to td for years as you say with no problems as im sure many other people have .

They don't, but I needed to get it out there rather than sit on it.

As for sides. Not saying you do. Before my engine issues i did nothing but recommend TD for work, advice etc you know how it is.

Sorry to hear about this bud and that it has ended up with you having to give up something you looked forward to :-(

Seems a lot of negative reviews coming out about tuners recently as well, although not a bad thing as to often only positive reviews are posted, well it is bad that it happened in the first place.

Hello,

Thanks

Mike Jones

Tuning Developments Ltd

I love that!!!!! thats not what it looked like on Wills dyno lol

I have been running Zisco stem seals in mine for over 30,000 miles now with not a sign of smoke so thats bolox too, and why did a new head gasket have to be used?? professional engine builders/ mechanics could do the stem seals on a starlet with no problems with out removing the head, Ive done 3 like this with no problems.

doing stem seals without removing head

thats the old thin rope trick isnt it.feeding the rope in as much as possible whilst piston is at bottom of stroke then cranking the engine by hand till its tdc and the rope coiled up in there then holds the valves in place.

done this before and works so awesomely.

Such a shame to hear a mod + lovely car leaving the scene, and as for td there are plenty of people that wouldn't mind voicing there opinion on his horrific builds that he's done for them which arnt on ukso !