Bottom end rebuild advise Toyota noob

Hey guys i am really new around here!

So for my first post i am diving right in with my problem.

I have just bought a starlet GT 94 from my mate for my first project.

Now he has spun a main big end bearing (we think) its knocking quite bad now

It will be opened up in a few weeks to access the damage.

What i need to know is to rebuild the bottom do i need to split it from the head? I see no reason to spend 150-200 quid splitting the block if theres no need.

My plan was to get all the bearings

Polish the crank if theres no markings

New oil pump

New water pump

New belts

Genuine gaskets all over the block.

Engine and gearbox oil change

Can this be done? I have no reason to forge the block its running fairly standard stuff and wont be pushing the power loads

I was hoping the money saved from splitting the block would allow me to get a clutch while the engine out

The car will be in a proper garage with all the right tools i have a engine stand ect so it seems were ready for such a job.

Just need to know is bottom end easy enough to do or should i look for another block?

Cheers

Alex

if its spun the bearing, the crank will defo be scored, so need a regrind, and oversize bearings.

if your doing all thatn work, you might as well take the head off, and clean all the pistons, hone the bores and stick new rings in, Lap the valves in and new stem seals, then you will have an engine that will really last and be back to origional power.

Yeah but rings and honing make the whole repair expensive.

Not to sound like a penny pincher i do want to do it right and all that but to do it that way would take me much longer to do because i dont have lots of free money :(

I know your say well it could go and cost you more in the long run but if i have no reason to suspect piston damage and not gonna be pushing for 200bhp then just repairing the bottom end is the most cost effective yeah?

Dont get me wrong i will look into the prices of all that but i can prob guess theres another 350 into parts :(

piston rings, like bearings, wear out.

You can get a honing tool from machine mart, cheap and easy to use, Piston rings are £50 the set from general traffic,

Its cost effective to do it all at once, honing the bores piston rings and lapping the valves makes a big difference to the power and smooth running of your motor. It will be like a new engine.
Plus removing the coke from the piston tops will lower the temp a huge amount, allowing you to run extra boost without detonation.

The ringlands on FTE engines are notorious for cracking and falling apart. Its worth checking before throwing a few hundred quid at a bottom end build, youd kick yourself if the rings went a few months down the line.

Its always best to d it once, do it right, dont half arse a job :)

I know someone would say that :(

Its not money its more time! I have got plenty but its not me doing the work its a good mechanic mate he said he more than happy to do the work ect i seen how much full rebuilds have cost by googling it and they not cheap

Could someone please make me a list of std items i should need and could change while i am doing it all.

I am a firm believe genuine parts are best so wheres best and cheapest place to get genuine parts i used to get all my vauxhall parts cheap from a trader who used the forum is there anyone on here like that?

Thanks for everyones input so far guys

Looks like the engine going to get a full rebuild

Lets hope the crank good! Cant wait to open it up