How 2: Fit Paseo Clocks Into A Starlet

OK guys and girls, having finally sorted the Paseo clocks, here is the definitive 'How 2' for fitting them into your Starlet.

White dials baby!!

I recommend that you disconnect the battery before starting, to ensure that you do not short anything or set off the airbag once wires are exposed.

1. Remove the 2 srews that hold on the clock surround

DSC00458.jpg

2. Remove the clock surround

DSC00459.jpg

3. Remove the 3 screws that hold the clocks in place

DSC00460.jpg

4. Remove the 4 screws that hold the dash panel in place

DSC00468.jpg

DSC00467.jpg

DSC00466.jpg

DSC00465.jpg

5. Press in the tab to remove the fuse holder

DSC00470.jpg

6. Unclip the bonnet release cable A and pull out the tang B. Push in the tab C to unclip the dimmer connector. Remove the terminals D & E from the right speaker.

DSC00471.jpg

7. Push in the centre pin of the black clip that holds the heater duct and remove the clip.

DSC00472.jpg

8. Pull down and slide out to the right to remove the duct

DSC00473.jpg

9. You can now reach underneath and easily release the speedo cable from the back of the clocks by squeezing the tabs on the outside.

10. The clocks will now be loose enough to get your hand in and unclip the 3 connectors from the back pressing down the tab on the tab of each one and pulling them back.

DSC00474.jpg

11. Manouevre the clocks out of the dash, this can be really awkward.

DSC00475.jpg

DSC00476.jpg

DSC00477.jpg

DSC00478.jpg

12. You can now see the 3 connectors. 16 pin white connector B, 10 pin grey connector C and 13 pin brown connector A (Ignore the loose brown wire, that's my tacho wire, you already have a working one in your loom...hopefully!)

DSC00479.jpg

13. Before you can swap wires you need to know how to remove the pins, here is a close up of the brown 13 pin connector. The white sections of all three connectors must be removed before the pins can be pulled out.

DSC00482.jpg

14. Slide the front plate down and remove it.

DSC00483.jpg

15. Press the tabs in on each side and one in the centre to remove the other white plate, this also slides down and out.

DSC00484.jpg

DSC00485.jpg

16. By sliding a pin down the back of each pin in turn and pushing back the little locking tab you can slide out the wire. (Sorry couldn't take a decent pic of this with my phone)

17. Now for the pin swaps :lol: Here are the wire colours and the positions that they need to be in. Pin 1 is on the left as you look at the connector above.

Brown13pinA.jpg

Water16pinB.jpg

Grey10pinC.jpg

The awkward swaps are as follows:

A: The Yellow wire (Oil indicator light) that is found at pin 8 of the 13-pin brown connector A on your Sportif must be moved to pin 5 of the 16-pin white connector B. I removed all the electrical insulation tape and cut a section out of the wire for neatness.

B: The Yellow/Black wire (Fuel F) that is found at pin 12 of the 16-pin White connector B on your Sportif must be moved to pin 4 of the 10-pin grey connector C. I used some of the yellow wire I cut out of the oil wire in a) to extend this one.

All other wires are simply moved around within the same connector.

18. Replace the white plates into each connector that holds the pins in place.

19. Slide in your Paseo clocks with the correct mileage already set using my mileage adjustment guide How 2.

20. Plug in the three connectors and reach around underneath to push on the speedo cable.

21. Replace the 3 screws that hold the cluster in place. (You may find it easier to push the speedo cable on once the cluster is held by the screws, otherwise you will have to hold the cluster with your left hand as you reach under with your right)

22. Replace the heater vent. Push the centre pin of the black plastic clip back up so it is proud of the rest of the clip. Push it into the hole and then push the centre in gently until it locks flush with the rest of the clip.

23. Re-connect the speaker, dimmer and bonnet release cable and clip the fuse holder back into place on the dash panel.

24. Replace the 4 screws that hold the dash panel in place.

25. Replace the clock surround the 2 screws that hold it in place.

26. Reconnect the battery and check everything is working.

27. Revel in your sexy white dials, point and laugh at anybody with boring black dials. (Optional)

DSC00486.jpg

I'll add to this if I remember anything else.

Chris