Burning oil... Again. Video added!!

The following have been replaced in the past 3 weeks.

Valve stem oil seals

Turbo (FRESHLY rebuilt by midland turbos) been on since 8th may (yesterday) done 50miles at the most

Head gasket

New braided oil feed pipe

I fitted my old turbo for a few days and had no smoke whatsoever. But whenever I fit this hybrid it seems to ALWAYS go wrong. The turbo is primed each time at fitment and always warmed up and cooled down before given any boost.

The car seems to smoke intermittent but more often than not it will smoke. It seems to smoke In all driving conditions (when it's smoking). Mainly under light throttle and when sat idling at a junction. I personally think the turbo seals have gone again.. Exactly the same as before!! How can a old turbo that's done god knows how many miles be more reliable than a turbo that's done 0 miles (three times) I have to say this is an assumption regarding oil seal but I'm having the exact same symptoms as before as to when it burns etc etc.

I am getting to the point of which I no longer have the will power to do more to the car. It's blown the turbo twice now in the space of around 2 months both times the turbo has seen roughly 50 miles at the most? Which tells me that something is causing this.. I went externally gated on ct9 and ever since it's now been a problem.

Please help I'm suppose to be leaving for japfest in the early hours of the morning but doesn't look like I will be going because of this ongoing fault.

All comments are much appreciated :) thanks in advance.

Edited by Sefton-EP91

Sorry I keep editing the thread to make it as accurate as possible. I appreciate your comment but it doesn't explain the blown turbos.

I did have this at the back of my mind but if this is the case I will do the work and sell up. Thanks again mate :)

Who's fitting the turbos for you yourself?? Everything primed up properly before starting it's the only thing I can think of why your burning oil and it only takes a second to look at a plug worth a go buddy

I'll have a look and feedback to you :) thanks for your help mate. I'm fitting the turbos and all being primed with king lead off and oil drain off and crank, wait few seconds then crank again until oil comes out drain hose :)

Edited by Sefton-EP91

Video of my problem!! This is on idle after a drive of around 5miles in total. Very small amounts of boost whilst driving around.

I have also noticed the car seems to hold back when going to boost, its as if there is no power and then I get all power back suddenly. And it's not lag lol could this be lambda problem due to oil over lambda probe from previous turbos giving up?

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b556/Sefton1990/Mobile%20Uploads/20140511_124736_zpsk6tcl3pg.mp4

Thanks again in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeh done it already mate. I had race spec rocker cover fitted. So I have now gone back to the original rocker cover and PCV but still burns oil. The smoke is now a very pale blue and sometimes is white. I really don't understand. The only things I have in mind are worn cylinders or piston rings..? But surely this would show on a compression test.. Anyone local to Peterborough have a leak down tester..? I have one at work but unable to get it, would really like to do it tomorrow and kind of in a rush :/

Thanks.

Edited by Sefton-EP91

Yeh came back at 170 psi across all four cylinders for dry test and 220psi for wet test.. Would you say this is a big jump and point my problem at rings. Both done on a warm engine with WOT. thanks.

Your oil rings don't show compression failure tho that's why you have compression rings as far as I'm aware anyway like I said before mate the only thing I could think of is oil rings did you check ya plugs dude??

Edited by rinseep82

Just to clarify the car did stop burning oil on the old turbo until that gave up. I fitted the freshly built turbo and now it's still burning oil.. I. Going to check oil pressure and do a leak down test then feedback. Thanks for all the replies :)

Edited by Sefton-EP91
  • 3 months later...

Old thread but the problem is now solved. Oil rings were ruined! Car is in the process of being forged so not long until boosting again!

Thanks to everyone who gave information and help in the thread!

Anyone that has this issue, I would recommend get a leak down test done rather than a compression test. Although compression test is very good. A leak down test will pinpoint as to where the problem lays. Hope this is of some help.

Thanks again :)

• 1 month later...

man i have similar issues

in every two weeks my oil goes from full to half on the dipstick

i have done 2 engine rebuilds now

fully forged

only thing i haven't changed is the head and the pistons from the first rebuild but changed the valve steam seals the first time round

changed turbos from tf035 to td04

checked spark plugs and they are good

changed PCV vavlve

new original toyota oil pump

blowing no smoke at all and oil is not leaking anywhere

i think i am going to boat ramp it its driving me mad :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: