NightSpirit Trackstar....

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

funny you should say that si..I've been toying with the thought of getting a little mig setup to make a fuel tank etc. Might look into it. That's the one thing I haven't done yet is welding, if I got some welding gear I'd go mental.

You could weld it in without much hassle...but you could do it yourself by cutting a section from the pipe, inserting a silicone T piece and attaching the BOV to that :thumbsup:

If you're in no rush, let me see what I get up to! I've done the exact same thing, the BOV is welded right up near the throttle body.

Cheers Matt,

The HRF Gold is very similar to the gold high temp paint you can buy on Ebay etc, it's just a bright gold. I'll redo the camcover once she's running again. If you're in no rush I'll sort out a tin.

The plastic is 3mm polypropelene, again from ebay. It's about £15 for two sheets big enough for door cards and is a simple job to do (like the windows).

P1080387.jpg

What's better than a cable tied fan to the core of a shiny new aluminium rad? well pretty much everything actually. One of those things is making up a simple shroud from aluminium to create negative pressure allowing the fan to pull air through the whole of the radiator core thus increasing the efficiency of the fan to around 90%.

Rather than, you know...cable ties...and an efficiency of the fan diameter on the core.

P1080388.jpg

P1080389.jpg

P1080391.jpg

P1080393.jpg

P1080411.jpg

P1080409.jpg

I also riveted the boot floor in place finally, so much better in aluminium. It's not complete but it's no longer a catflap. More thrilling updates soon.

P1080405.jpg

I like the idea of the cowling, but i think there will be side effects from it.

There will only be air flow through the rad fan now, instead of the whole surface area of the rad.

Possibly leading to cooling issues.

Time will tell i supose, when it gets tested.

Just an observation. :wacko:

Cheers all,

As Rico said, alu and steel = fail. The whole thing is braced underneath with a single steel bar and riveted with large rivets, then silicone sealant underneath.

Rore mate, you have that arse about face in your observation. Fan on core = shite, fan on shrowd pulling air through whole core = win.

But you still have the core partially blocked from the alloy shrowd.

Im presuming you must be running the fan constant for the cooling to be effective, when driving?

Im not doubting the fan against the core against being in the shrowd, more of the effect, you have partially blocked the airflow through the core when driving.

Thats what i meant from side effects.

Not exactly - seeing as a gap has been left from the face of the fan to the radiator, the shroud will shield the pressure within from the external allowing the fan to create the pressure differential (whereas without shroud, only the area covered by the fan creates the pressure differential, which is what causes flow) and hence creating a suction across the entire face of the radiator. And since the fan will flow far more than just physical flow from the car moving at speed, it is hence more effective.

Obviously though when the fan is not operational, some flow will be blocked but it shouldn't be too noticeable as there's still an outlet, albeit slightly reduced

This is what i was meaning.

I understanhd the shrowd idea, but obviously the way i puit it across the fist time, didnt make sense.

Obviously though when the fan is not operational, some flow will be blocked but it shouldn't be too noticeable as there's still an outlet, albeit slightly reduced

Rico..I want to sex your brain.

The fan is on a permanent switch in the car and would run all the time...that's not by choice, it's because the wiring fucked up somewhere and/or the thermostat controlling the fan is missing/broke. lol

The shrowd isn't as good as it could be as I've used corners which are dead zones for air flow, you can feel the temp different on the face of the core with the fan on in the corners and elsewhere.