pondering the benefits of a 6 speed gearbox conversion.

Hey all, I completed quite a long journey today, but found my ears were bleeding from all the constant high revs of motorway travel lol. for a car labeled as being a gt (which I presume stands for grand touring) its not that pleasant to monster along in the fast lane for too long. I was considering finding a taller final drive from a different version of the same gbox, but i do like being able to shove it in 5th at thirty and burble around town, so i came to the conclusion that more gears were needed.

Can anyone give me advice as to the pros and cons of the six speed version box ( out of a high spec late 90s corolla arn't they? ) and what id need to do the conversion please, cheers!

6 speed isnt that much lower than a 5 speed. only maybe 3-400rpm..

at what speed? i dont know what the ratios are for each. isnt the lsd box a shorter final drive as well?

do you need a conversion plate, or does the bellhousing match up to most toyota engines or something? presumably custom shifter parts would need to be made as well.

you knead to swap bel on both boxes and cables to ( 6 pot ) yaris d4d internals can be fitted in the starlet box with no isseue

i also bean told the 6 speed internals will fit inside a 5 box when using the 6 speed outer cap !!! where 5th and 6 is

i personally cant confirm the last part but thats something i have bean told on another forum

you can get 4efe g6 6 speed ( strait bolt on ) but 6th gear isnt any lower then starlet in 5th at 62mph

Edited by 5e colin

do you need a conversion plate, or does the bellhousing match up to most toyota engines or something? presumably custom shifter parts would need to be made as well.

For which conversion? You can get a 6 speed out of the corolla g6 which comes with 4efe. Alternatively you can get the gear stack, diff and housing from a BZR and swap it into the bellhousing from a gt/glanza. Open to correction on this though

Corolla g6 4efe bolts on.

G6r 4afe needs bell housing swapping

Corolla Sr 3zzfe 99-01 needs bell housing swapping

Levin/trueno bzr 4age needs bellhousing swapping.

Corolla/celica tsport 2zzge needs bellhousing swapping. (£150) probably cheapest option tbh

You can notch you selector to allow for the extra movement needed for reverse (its besides 1st on 6 speeds)

If you wanted to put the extra gear in to a starlet box you would also need both input and output shafts as they are longer. Along with the casing and all the other parts so theres no point in doing this as it is way to much hassle.

Only thing im not sure about is which cables and the mounting brakets on the box you would need.

Sounds like alot of work and you need to know what your doing for the sake of an extra gear you can live without, a high top end big power engine yes but a 1.3, can't see much benefit when you could spend the money on some ear plugs or an ipod haha or even an exhaust bung stock air filter I jist think is an extra gear worth the time and money.

195/50/15 Tyres at 7250rpm Limiter...

C52 (GT Box):

1st: 38mph

2nd: 63mph

3rd: 92mph

4th: 124mph

5th: 148mph

C160 (AE111):

2nd: 59mph

3rd: 81mph

4th: 103mph

5th: 132mph

6th: 166mph

At 70mph C52 is 3600rpm and the C160 is 3100rpm

But I don't know of anyone that's run big power thru one?

Sounds like alot of work and you need to know what your doing for the sake of an extra gear you can live without, a high top end big power engine yes but a 1.3, can't see much benefit when you could spend the money on some ear plugs or an ipod haha or even an exhaust bung stock air filter I jist think is an extra gear worth the time and money.

im currently building a mean old 5e, i plan to fit it around this time next year. that was another thing, i would assume that a 6 speed transmission in the same sized gbox as the 5 speed would have much flimsier parts, id like to know what sort of power they can deal with before they strip teeth.

that c160 box socks mentioned sounds perfect, doent some of them have helical lsds from standard too? would it require custom driveshafts?

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26728

found this, the insides of the 6 speed look almost identical.

Edited by Chops

They have been know to strip 6th gear in levin/truenos running near stock power. But stu was running 350+ in his with no problems for years.

Some do have lsd's yes (Bzr stock and an option on every other model 20v) best way to check is make sure theres a plate across the holes through the driveshaft holes if theres a 10mm pin its an open diff.

3rd gear grinds in a lot of them. Caused by people who don't know how to drive getting behind the wheel. They are a soft ish box but if you double clutch and rev match (becomes natural after a while) the box will be fine..

Could say the same about the 5 speed tbh. 2nd and 3rd 5th have all had grinding issues on my 5 speeds.

6 speed I've got a 2nd gear crunch that im sorting out.

Like you say it depends how you drive and if you give the synchro's time to do there job

195/50/15 Tyres at 7250rpm Limiter...

C52 (GT Box):

2nd: 63mph

3rd: 92mph

4th: 124mph

5th: 148mph

C160 (AE111):

2nd: 59mph

3rd: 81mph

4th: 103mph

5th: 132mph

6th: 166mph

At 70mph C52 is 3600rpm and the C160 is 3100rpm

But I don't know of anyone that's run big power thru one?

thats icorect boss my friends blacktop levin doos 3000/3100 rpm rufly at 62mph / 100kph

yes ^^^^^ 195/50/15

im trying to buy a yaris d4d box , if i find 1 cheap ish but there freaking waaaaay overpriced !!!!!!

D4d boxes are all expensive because they fail so regularly and they're the same box in nearly all the D4D's like avensis and corolla

Oul lad has a D4D Auris and the first gearbox blew up and cracked the housing. Bought a second box and had it professionally rebuilt to be sure it was A1 going in and within a few months that blew as well. On his 3rd box which he bought refurbished with warranty in exchange for his broken gearbox. Hopefully this one lasts a little longer lol

Edited by Dylanfarrell

D4d boxes are all expensive because they fail so regularly and they're the same box in nearly all the D4D's like avensis and corolla Oul lad has a D4D Auris and the first gearbox blew up and cracked the housing. Bought a second box and had it professionally rebuilt to be sure it was A1 going in and within a few months that blew as well. On his 3rd box which he bought refurbished with warranty in exchange for his broken gearbox. Hopefully this one lasts a little longer lol

fuck that lol. cant be swapping gboxes out all the time, thatd piss me right off.

D4d boxes are all expensive because they fail so regularly and they're the same box in nearly all the D4D's like avensis and corolla Oul lad has a D4D Auris and the first gearbox blew up and cracked the housing. Bought a second box and had it professionally rebuilt to be sure it was A1 going in and within a few months that blew as well. On his 3rd box which he bought refurbished with warranty in exchange for his broken gearbox. Hopefully this one lasts a little longer lol

do you still have the 1st box i will take it

• 3 years later...

Waking up an old thread I know but recently discovered that my Glanza came with a 6 speed box it is not far from Standard still to my knowledge should I be concerned about the gear box going at some point in the near future?