Wms brakes ... Squeaky Squeaky

I got WMS brakes last year and they are so squeaky!

i cant sit in another show cue squeaking along a foot at a time.....its quite embarrising

I spoke to a guy at JAE last year who had them to and he got some pads of ebay that went on the back of the caliper or something (i cant quite remember :fool: ) which stopped the squeaking. Does anyone know what these are called or what i can do to stop it?

Please help :D

Squeal in race brakes (not just ours!) is a direct trade off against some of the performance aspects of the design, for two reasons:

1 - to allow things (pads) to get very hot, and expand a lot without anything sticking, there are larger gaps where the parts touch. This reduces the damping effect.

2 - The pads are normally higher coeficient of friction, this in iteslf means they are more likely to squeal (4 pot or not).

Things that CAN help:

- Different pads

- Grooving the discs (puts gaps in the energy going into the pad and can help break up the resonance)

- Damping the pads with rubber backing sticker a-la-EBC

- Tweeking the split pins to grip the inside of the holes in the pad and caliper tighter, and even to hold the pads in the "forward" position.

Hope that helps, it's one of those things - lots of people never get any noise, but others do even with all the exact same bits.

Traffic lights are pretty unavoidable and no one wants to be in them........

But because you go on a track you are putting people down again. Like the extingusher again.nothing wrong with being over safe

Squeaky brakes are for winners.. One has to wonder, if all you're using them for is sitting in traffic, why have fancy four pots fitted at all?

Traffic lights are pretty unavoidable and no one wants to be in them........

But because you go on a track you are putting people down again. Like the extingusher again.nothing wrong with being over safe

Ollieh17, im pretty sure TimD is just joking around, nobody is stupid enough to think that these sort of cars just sit in traffic all the time.

everybody takes a run through the country side now and again :)

Phil

May have taken the wrong end of the stick. Just read a few posts from timd that seem to be puting people down for their choice of purchases and where there money goes...may just be me

Everyone of us may be a jerk, but keep giving the benefit of the doubt even when its not deserved and things will run quietly (unless your in traffic with WMS brakes)

Phil

:friends:

Don't be so precious.

Often times when it comes to proper brakes, they squeal and make noise, it's just the nature of the beast, because at slow speeds the pads rattle around in the caliper. The pads I had fitted to my M3 did it, people would often comment on how my brakes need changing, they didn't. I put up with it, because the performance they offered was better than anything else you could put in a standard caliper.

Sometimes it can even be down to the way the pads have been bedded in as to whether or not they make noise.

I've tried both EBC and DS2500's, the DS2500's I got from Keri are much quieter, just copper grease the back of them where the calliper goes against the pad and it'll solve the problem, or get groove discs as said.

thanks guys, good memori Keri they are grooved!

i have cooper grease so i'l give this a go, if not i'll try some different pads.

these brakes are great under heavy braking but on the way to JAE last year i got stuck in traffic and rolling along was like nails on a chalk board! love the brakes just not the noise.... and also that i dont just sit in traffic she has been off there road for a few months but when i drive her i need those brakes.

i had a set of these on my ep95 and when i first had them they was shockingly bad stock glanza brakes would have stopped much quicker...but it was because Tuning Developments didnt clean them up properly (they were 2nd hand from someone they knew).

put some new pads on and cleaned the discs and they was ok then - still not amazing though i wudnt fancy attacking a track with them maybe it was just a dodgy kit i had

Edited by richglanzav

Second hand they should still have been fine - were the discs glazed / old rust or anything?

We do have rebuild kits (seals and o-rings) which are used when refreshing the calipers, we've never sold any of these to TD though.

I would suspect a plumbing / specification (funny master cylinder or bias valve for instance, or something to do with the parts on a rear drum/EP95 car) / servo / damaged lines problem, or contaminated pads.

Things like noise or taking up more space under wheels, rusty bleeders etc etc can happen as we know, but brake power should never be an issue with a correctly installed WMS kit. There are only a handful of moving parts, all they need to do is be supplied with brake fluid at pressure, and be free to move, and you get the resulting clamping forces.

To put it another way, there's not much to go wrong!

Yeah I run a WMS kit and I've reported to Keri a few times about a squeeking issue with them. I was told it might be because I haven't got grooves discs (I went for normal discs) but to be honest get some good grease, one with a high temp rating and they should be spot on. Can get some online it's just grease made for performance applications. My WMS kit is a treat, one of the best things I've done to the car, so much more confidence under breaking and I would happily attack a track with them.