• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chop chop. My 4EFTE conversion in my black SR was up and running in three days man!!!! :p

Only kidding bud. Take as long as you want. As long as when you finally turn the key and it starts first time it will all be worth it.

Oh yeah make sure you tighten the screw loads on the fuel pump thingy under the bonnet as I had lots of petrol come out of mine when i turned the key. I laughed afterwards.

Bourkey

• 7 months later...

hey good news, as of september the car was running for 75miles and then spun a bearing lol oops, fixed that and then it started rattling so i came to the conclusion that the oil pump had failed. so whilst the engine was out my bro stacked his other corolla gti, so i stole that engine a ran it on the wrong ecu for 3 months and now where changing the ecu for the correct one but for this i had to change the dizzy and when i did that the main coil lead snapped so im now waiting a new one! lol

oh well the other engines getting a rebuild and itb's etc etc so all worked out well in the end

p.s with the 1st engine in it went like stink!!

it was fun whilst it lasted but was prob my fault it broke

Out of a Corolla gti16 theres a pic of one above :D

1600 16v about 120ish bhp I believe (that particular model)

Extensive work needed for the engine to fit, change engine mounts etc and then theres modifiying the looms etc

Im sure Morgey will be back in a few months to explain :)

• 2 weeks later...

lol yeah sorry i tent to drift off,

yeah like sparky said corolla gti, and my 1st engine, from the white one above, was the later spec 128-133bhp and 112-114lb/ft not sure I've herd different things

the one i have now is the earlier spec 122bhp and a smaller but higher powerband and less torque

yeah theirs alot of work and i couldnt have done it on my own, custom mounts, driveshafts a chassis rail has to be cut and I've got a ground up wiring loom, and because the 4age should have had a oil pressure guage my oil light is always on lol.

tbh their isnt a lot of point of doing this swap becoz you get the 4efte with the same power and easier potential, but its N/A and luvs it to 7700 standard, and can be made to go over 10 000 rpm, but thats loooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaadssssss of £££ B)

just spent a while reading this thred cant believe ive never seen this before,

lovin how you have just dumped a bigport 4age in there. looking good B)

what itb set up are you using on your other engine?

yeah its a bit old and i never update it,

and the engine in the pics is actally a smallport but it spun a bearring and think the oil pump packed up,

which is why i now have a bigport for a run around,

and as the itb setup goes it will be stock 20v bodies with either a custom or a TTT (technotoytuning) adapter plate, with standalone (poss megasquirt but unsure atm) and some other bits and bobs like cams, head work, i know i deff will need uprated head and rod studs, and then maybe internals, but havnt desided yet.

• 4 months later...

rite just do do my usual once in a blue moon update,

having been ragging the pants off a seemingly indestructible engine for the last couple of months, i have managed to break...

my ecu, blew up a solder inside from putting sum quick fit plugs in the wrong sockets. luckily my dad fixed it in 30mins of him looking at it!!

and

a driveshaft... after showing off to sum dub geeks and getting a lecture off of my brother about having to rag the engine to make it move.

well it went thru 1st alrite and then in to 2nd and BANG and a couple of clonks from the underside of the car later and a good ol walk back down the road later i found this...

DSC02166.jpg

so im currently making a new set from the old corrola ones.

and also rather than having a ratty old mildsteel water pipe rattling on my manifold i desided to get a nice stainless steel pipe custom made to fit around everything in the engine bay, makes it alot tidyer finish me thinks.

old and new

DSC02123.jpg

old

DSC02080.jpg

and new

DSC02126.jpg

I've also desided to go a little bit crazy with my cam covers I've desided illuminous is the way forward,

I've only half done of one at the mo.. the others going orange!!!

DSC02108.jpg

and the origonals with 175,000miles and 20 years wear and tear

DSC02101.jpg

oh n just incase you ever wondered how tight a fit these engines are in these bays this is my water pump pully and chassis rail, the gearbox is half that from the inner wing.

DSC02118.jpg

so yeah ill be back in a few months maybe with a different colour set of wheels and some decent driveshafts, and maybe some Itb's on this engine lol

Guest Enzo

love this, your ditributer setup is and water pipe is pretty random, why are they like that,

was the donor car an mr2?

also i take it you did not need cut into the chassis leg to make the engine fit?

The engine is more or less an AE86 design so they put the dizzy on the side as if it was on the back it would be against the bulk head,

the same for the water pipe, mounted inline it would go straight onto a front mount radiator, the only thing they did was put a mount on the front (pulley side) and crammed a fwd gearbox on it and fitted it in sideways lol, the AE82 and AE92 both used this design.

when they did the 20v head they redesigned the water ways for FWD see bigT-sr for his water pipe.

and yes you do have to cut the chassis leg to make it fit, but only on the gearbox side, well unless you want powersteering etc, i have a half sized or single pulley on mine as it wouldnt fit otherwise lol

And the donor 'CARS' were a bigport and smallport ae92 corolla gti-16 both kindly donated by my brother lol

cheers guys,

and it was soooo close to going to JAE last year, only reason it didnt go is because my insurance docs hadnt came through so i couldnt get my window repaired!!! and fingers crossed i dont break it before JAE this year lol

• 9 months later...

Well sooo yeah no real progress on the starlet other than, some coilovers, braces, gt rear axel and some 11.1 pistons for the other engine.

but in the mean time i brought a new car, stuck with the toyota but got a 2001 corolla instead, more space and an eco whore so all good.

I put the starlet wheels on it after a refurb and borrowed some lowering springs from my bros old rolla gti, front still needs to go down but im saving for the starlet build sooo meh it'll be fine

neway here it is

DSC03134.jpg

DSC03135.jpg

DSC03137.jpg

DSC03138.jpg

DSC03308.jpg

• 3 weeks later...