4WD Starlets And How To Find Them

Hello guys,

Total noob question here. I'm saving and on my search for my first car, likely a Starlet. Been recently watching a lot of rallycross, WorldRX and GRC and stuff like that. So the appeal of a 4WD hatch is growing.

And now I find out the Starlet comes as 4WD...

...so I need a rundown. What models come with 4WD? Can they be easily found over here, for not-ridiculous money? and would I have a hope in hell of insuring it? Haha.

Lay the knowledge on me. :)

Classed as Ep85 or ep95 (the 5 at the end of toyota chassis codes denotes 4wd)

They are Import only and very sort after so fetch a few pennies. I believe they come as an auto and manual, the manuals fetch more.

Id imagine for a 1st car the cost of buying will be a bit to high and then the cost of insuring an import, even if it is a non turbo will still be very high.

Insurance isnt a problem, mines is turbo converted/td04 etc all mods declared, under 900 bucks fully comp with sky.

The problem is finding one usually but there seems to be quite a few popping up ive seen 3 this week and heard from another member theres another couple of ep95s on there way over

Thats the other 2 of the 4 i was on about. The other being a silver 3dr 85 that hit the auctions the other night.

Thats the other 2 of the 4 i was on about. The other being a silver 3dr 85 that hit the auctions the other night.

yeah, id be tempted by the ep85, but 2k is alot for me.

have a car in pieces here atm.

Phil

Iwas seriously considering the ep85 as long as it came with the full drivetrain inc gearbox and the 4wd sump but it's sooooo far away :(

Could probably get a courier for 250 quid. These never come up for sale dont miss it !! :)

Iwas seriously considering the ep85 as long as it came with the full drivetrain inc gearbox and the 4wd sump but it's sooooo far away :(

1 hour on a plane

7 hours getting home :( plus transport costs.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHfslz0hr_g

Thats the car in question (right hand lane) racing its brother.

both forged builds.

Phil

Edited by Phil

Havent seen those vids before !!

Does John still have his ?

Oh yes. running all sorts on it now.

nearly on the road, we await on update on toyotagtturbo any month now lol

Phil

Edited by Phil

Thanks for all the knowledge guys. Sounds like a bit of a stretch for a very first car, but one for the future.

I'm interested in one mainly as I've suddenly got quite the interest in rallycross, time attack, gymkhana and stuff like that - all stuff where 4WD comes in useful. How is the Starlet 4WD system, a good handling machine? I'm not asking for a Hoonigan car obvs...but maybe with some work... :D

• 1 year later...

I have a 4wd auto starlet for my first car, bought it VERY cheaply , fully comp insurance just over £600 ... You just have to keep looking and you will get a bargain!! ... Best car ever, she is a mini off roading machine! 🚗💨