Back in a GT! grey mk2 auto.

I picked this up a nice grey mk2 GT this week. I wasn't really after another starlet but it caught my eye and im really chuffed with it.

20150110_133719_zpsiaiqnogz.jpg

its an auto, completely stock apart from an air filter, lowered and the wheels. Its a nice clean genuine car and the auto box is actually pretty good its a nice drive.

The plan is to just sort a few things out like the parcel shelf has a bit snapped off so it jumps about.

The suspension seems mega stiff so I might get some softer springs or shocks once I get a look at them.

replace the missing exhaust heat shield

apart from that its pretty much bang on.

Edited by Bean
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. Yeah it's a pretty rare colour which made it jump out to me a bit.

I lurk about in the background from time to time phil but the forums and the starlets them selfs aren't what they used to be too us old hands! Too many shitters, dodgy dealings and ripping people off these days.

It's very clean and original I plan to just sort a couple bits on it and keep it Pretty standard to use for work. For now it will stay auto but I may put a 6 speed in it in the future. I do have quite alot of starlet parts left over but not sure if I will fit them. I will spend a bit of time on it at the weekend and get some better pics and start sorting any niggles out.

Your some man for his projects ha! I just threw out a load of rear parcel trim for a gt I had sitting aswell. Good to see its in good hands but let's see how long you last keeping it in stock form before you can't help yourself

• 3 weeks later...

Been giving the GT some love, its a break from working on the GT4.

The rocker cover had seen better days

IMG-20150124-WA0000_zpsvffbqywm.jpeg

so i stripped it down and gave it a good clean and painted it.

20150125_161453_zps0vvpnzzm.jpg

20150124_195315_zps4z6hvwkn.jpg

then some clear coat to finish it off.

IMG-20150125-WA0003_zps33mncmc6.jpeg

I fitted new spark plug seals, a new rocker gasket and a new pcv valve i had knocking about.

next i started on the suspension.

I noticed the front drop links looked a bit tired and a few other bits so i ordered a few parts from camskill.

i fitted new front drop links with poly bushes in them.

20150130_110331_zpsxdsesu1l.jpg

next up was new track rod ends as these looked pretty tired too.

20150130_110245_zpsghwujyaj.jpg

these are the old drop links, you can see how its worn on one side. one link wouldnt come off so had to chop it with the grinder.

20150130_110643_zps9awagk71.jpg

the springs which came on the car had been chopped by someone at some point so i got some TRD springs and swapped them over

20150130_110352_zpseijdfgu1.jpg

TRD springs on the rear

20150130_123508_zpsiy8zexlv.jpg

After this i decided to look at why the interior light wasnt working. firstly there was no bulb in it. but this didnt sort it. i took the door switches off and cleaned them a bit but they were working fine. 12v was getting to the light unit so i thought it must just be the unit. it turned out the little rivets which hold the contact to the tracks in it werent passing the current to the tracks. i got a big soldering iron and soldered over the rivets so there was a good contact. fitted a new bulb and it was working again, happy days.

20150130_161238_zpsmanzzmmf.jpg

fitted a spare flare i had in the garage

20150130_161522_zpsogszq0en.jpg

This is the engine bay as it stands with the refurbished rocker cover fitted and i also sprayed the intercooler bracket.

20150130_161551_zpsipcwpbpm.jpg

The car drives much smoother now and and isnt such a harsh ride. I might look into getting some uprated shocks at some point. Im on the look out for an arc dump valve and im thinking about getting a blitz downpipe and arc top mount. Also looking for a HKS silent power as the stock exhaust is blowing and has been patched a couple of times.

Cheers guys. it wont take much to make this pretty mint, im just giving it a refresh and sorting any possible mot failures too.

I dont like the wheels tbh so they will change at some point, im not sure what for. A few people have commented they like the wheels actually.

I got the heat shield finished last night and I have new bolts to fit it with. my manifold has a tiny crack (is there any out there without) I do have another on a spare engine I need to check.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ive been gathering a few bits and bobs.

An Arc bov, i was hoping to find one of these with the adapter to fit the stock efi pipe but still looking for one.

20150211_165015_zpsecwpagq4.jpg

my boot seems to be leaking on the passenger side so hopefully this will fix it.

20150214_161936_zpsu2y2x82s.jpg

new air freshener installed! And you can see my gt4 lurking in the garage

20150214_163549_zpshdcttdim.jpg

ive been running a bit of these through the car, a couple of tanks with red ex in and now im adding the millers

20150214_163708_zpsuf0cgx2r.jpg

My mate gave me a few bottles of the millers as he uses it in his turbo s2000, hes dynoed it and seems pretty sure of it. I noticed increased mpg in my b18 eg civic. Lets see if I notice anything in the starlet.

So i got my jack out again and thought i would check out my blowing exhaust.

first find was this botch

20150214_165319_zpsxdw7d6xk.jpg

it looks like a type of mesh held on with some wire wrapped round??? fook sake some people should not be aloud to work on cars.

next i found this

20150214_165328_zpsrdit2tnw.jpg

another botch to cover a rusty patch. I think there was another of these also near the backbox. So its safe to say theres not much point getting the welder out and i need a whole new system.

Also these landed today. Whiteline panhard rod, anti lift kit and magnetic sump plug.
20150216_170001_zpsspwcwvrm.jpg

Also sent a tongs hybrid off to be reassembled, a blitz decat is on the way and ive made a good start on porting out a stock mani.

and this was the state of the steering boot i replaced a few weeks ago.

20150214_151756_zpsmlpjqxvt.jpg

A little update, parts have been arriving :D

A big Thanks to Liam D and Midland Turbo for putting my hybrid together for me, great service, good price, and a good chat with Liam too, always good to chat with a fellow starlet owner.
IMG_20150221_130945_zpsfsftdsoq.jpg

IMG-20150221-WA0000_zpsllt57ymg.jpeg

So i got the blitz decat cleaned up and painted with some high temp paint and i started fitting the stock heat shields.

The threads were a bit messy so i had to run a tap through them.

its a blitz decat or is it?? Those sneaky japs lol.

20150221_174332_zps2phopcuu.jpg

Ive made a start porting a stock mani out too. this one is cracked inside but doesnt look like its came all the way through like the one on the car, so im not going to spend too much time on it. I will eithertry and find one crack free (if they exist) or look out for a JAM one.

20150221_105330_zpstsjakoym.jpg

I got the downpipe fitted with a new gasket in the bottom of it, but looks like i may need to get some red bull cans on the centre section as the blow is getting worse. I missed out on a silent power system i spotted on facebook too which im gutted about!

Just waiting for the braided oil and return i ordered from racetech, hopefully its not far away and i can get the hybrid fitted.

Edited by Bean

I just saw your pm i was going to link you to this thread.

It was strange about the text saying it wasn't getting delivered, but it did. It might have been a bit of a mix up as my mum got a delivery with the same courier at the same time so maybe it is a bug in their system or something?

I should have it fitted in the next week or two, i just need to finish porting the manifold, the oil feed and return to come and an get arc intercooler, a hks silent power exhaust. It might take a bit longer then actually haha.