In the cold weather ive noticed my lock become really tight..

I have to jiggle my key about to get it to lock and unlock...

Now it's completley stiff, the key inserts but does not turn or unlock..

If I have a new lock barrel will I need a set of keys? I have the full 3 key set and the little code on one... Dont fancy replacing all the locks and keys!

What's the best way to repair this ladies and gents?

Because it stays in the barrel, and as it dries it congeals with all the dirt and crap it's picked up. Enough times and the whole lock will be so lagged in shite that it won't turn at all.

Edit: great article on the subject here https://www.locksonline.co.uk/community/2012/09/locksonline-top-tips-lubricating-locks/

Edited by FrozenJakalope
  • 2 weeks later...

FIXED IT!

Thanks for everyones help who commented!!

Method:

I took my door card off and carefully peeled the yellow film seal. I got a can of GT85 and gave the lock a little blast, it was a little tight so i used the little red straw they provide. using the key on the lock side and my fingers in the other I gave it a jiggle back and forth until it free'd itself up.. i kept applying GT85 and Lithium based grease and finally its free moving a feels good as new. :D

If i have time ill do a how to thread in the summer once i Finnish college. Too many assignments now :(