Best ways to push power out of the 4efe

This is taken from a N/a performance thread from a while back.

This is a list of all the things I'd done/planned to do to my old n/a before I was laid off and went back to school. The most important thing to gain power is the mapping/ecu section to take advantage of all the modifications, without it you'll be lucky to see 100 because the standard ecu just can't cope

N/A Performance List

Engine:

5EFHE cams (not 5EFE)

Lightened pulley sets

Head skim for compression

Ported head

Valve springs (there are some uprated valves springs for 4EFTE that can be used in the 4EFE. Eg: speedvision, cruise)

Exhaust:

4-2-1 corolla bugeye exhaust manifold

OBX racing 5e manifold

Hotshots 4e manifold (rocking horse shit, hens teeth etc)

Custom mani back exhaust (or cat-back)

Heatwrap

Fuelling:

Corolla bug eye injectors (beige/brown in color)

Fuel Pressure Regulator (to help with map)

After market Uprated Ignition leads

Spark plugs NGK heat range 6 or 7)

Could go coilpacks if going nuts but probably not needed)

Inlet:

Corolla bug eye inlet (tubular manifold)

4efte inlet manifold

4efte Throttle Body

Cooling:

Civic alloy dual/triple core radiator (personal preference on core)

Air filter (apexi is tried and tested, but whatever you can afford)

Low temp thermostat

Drive train:

Lightened flywheels (various after market ones available)

If you go for an off the shelf flywheel, you may need to buy the equivalent FTE clutch kit because the n/a lightened flywheels are really hard to come by

Corolla G6r 6 speed gearbox (requires shifter unit and cable mount brackets, possibly the actual selector cables) i may be wrong but its do-able

Lightened and balanced crank (if your going all out why not. should get the clutch and flywheel balanced at the same time as the crank)

LSD (they are available for the n/a 5 speed but rare. same as the 6speed. best off buying a glanza box and lsd if you dont go 6speed

Management:

Best way to go is aftermarket ecu, Emanage, Motec, Megasquirt etc (key modification to get the best out of these mods, if your going this crazy)

THEN to control all the gained power (probably only around 30bhp if your lucky)

Brakes:

Levin Twinpot callipers and corolla d4d discs (unsure if they are the correct discs, but there are enough people on here runnign sets to find out)

Celica st205 Twinpots (think they are the same as the levin twinpots)

Celica st185 big pot calliper (unsure on discs but will refer back to this when i do)

GT/Glanza carriers and disc's

Then there are the bigger aftermarket kits like wms, k-sport willwood etc. (bit overkill but if you like flashy then go for it)

Suspension/Chassis:

Whiteline adjustable rear anti-roll bar

Front and rear strut braces

Coilovers (dont go lowering springs if your buying for performance)

I found the c-pillar bar helped aswell

Anti lift kit

Uprated front anti-roll bar

Polybush engine mounts

Any other various strengthening bars

Tyres!

The biggest difference maker is weight saving for straightline power. so what ever you dont need, get gone (rear seats, right through to smaller batteries and taking a dump before travelling etc)

Handling is also the best sector to be modifying these cars in for track use, if you dont want to be shedding out a shed load of dollar

AND MOST OF ALL: keep it serviced and looked after!

Re: that list Dan, do you really need different injectors? I thought it was all but impossible to max out the stock one without a turbo.

I use pink injectors from the Gen1 FE on my N/a GT build. Along with the rest of the Gen1 stuff. ECU, inlet, TB etc.