Career choices..

Just out of interest..

What were all your career goals when you were younger? Like what did you want to do and is it what you followed? Or are you doing something completely different..

I don't mean like when you were 6/7 or something.. Cause I wanted to be a Firefighter when I was around that age..

But sort of, when you left school and had to make the big decision..

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to be carpenter/joiner went to college to do that ( apprenticeship) company went bust and had a shit time finding site work so made the decision to try facilities managment ( better paid caretaker )

Best decision I ever made! Curtainly not what I planned when I left school though :)

James

All I wanted to do when I left school was girls,drugs,party and travel done all that for a few years and then ended up in the army sumhow lol in the process of getting out at the min so I can spend more time with my kids as I'm never home ..so I'm back at at the start and need to pick sum sort of career that I want to get into havnt a clue what I want to do

I wanted to me a mechanic done lgv for 2 years got made redundant and couldnt find another garage so that ended. Then done hgv for 3 years same happened again they went into security. Which was ok to start with now it's crap. Id love to become a police officer and final goal of being a dog handler in the police.

I wanted to me a mechanic done lgv for 2 years got made redundant and couldnt find another garage so that ended. Then done hgv for 3 years same happened again they went into security. Which was ok to start with now it's crap. Id love to become a police officer and final goal of being a dog handler in the police.

I've been thinking about dog handler but the courses are big money to do it throught the police you need to join as a pcso and work your way up and I don't fancy that plus the pay is shit.. I've been looking into border security dog handler

I've been thinking about dog handler but the courses are big money to do it throught the police you need to join as a pcso and work your way up and I don't fancy that plus the pay is shit.. I've been looking into border security dog handler

I'm not sure mate I've not looked into it I can become a dog handler in security with my current sia badge at level 1 and not have to do any more courses I may well do that in a few years :)

I'm not sure mate I've not looked into it I can become a dog handler in security with my current sia badge at level 1 and not have to do any more courses I may well do that in a few years :)

yeah mate is a lot more to than security dog handling such as attack dog handling loads of diffrent search dog type courses health and safety and a few courses to teach you how to look after the dogs etc when I checked it was around 6k for the first few basic ones it's a lot of money and no guarantee of a job as most job advertised ask for experience Edited by Whitenoize

I wanted to go to Uni and be an Automotive engineer, but spent my last 2 years of school getting fucked up and into all sort of bad mischief :D So yeah didnt quite get the grades, became a Vehicle Tech instead. Work on Hyundai cars all day :) Could be better but having the time of my life atm.

Fuck goin to Uni for 4 years living off out of date loafs of bread and working all hours in some shitty bar just to earn min wage and suck a few knobs for a couple quid tip.

(Uni might be totally different but thats how i imagine it so i dont kick myself for trying harder haha)

I wanted to go to Uni and be an Automotive engineer, but spent my last 2 years of school getting fucked up and into all sort of bad mischief :D So yeah didnt quite get the grades, became a Vehicle Tech instead. Work on Hyundai cars all day :) Could be better but having the time of my life atm.

Fuck goin to Uni for 4 years living off out of date loafs of bread and working all hours in some shitty bar just to earn min wage and suck a few knobs for a couple quid tip.

(Uni might be totally different but thats how i imagine it so i dont kick myself for trying harder haha)

I wanted to go to Uni for all of like 1 hour.. just never appealed to me to be honest.. plus I always think I'd never be clever enough lol!

I wanted to go to Uni for all of like 1 hour.. just never appealed to me to be honest.. plus I always think I'd never be clever enough lol!

Ohh in duno !! You talk to some of the idiots that get it to uni... frightening.

Best to just try a few things out yourself, really helps if you have a genuine interest there (ie me & cars) also if you can be bothered, do a bit of volunteering somewhere, looks good on a CV :)

I'm still trying to make that decision on what path to go I never really knew what I wanted to do I have tried a lot of things. I came out of college doing Advertising when the economy went pear shaped I'm on track now I think lol

Left school to go to uni and study computer science. Still here and half way thought with a nice placement lined up For next year. I really don't know if i want to spend my career programming in an office. Something more interesting might be to work for a car manufacturer, as they're relying more and more on computer experts and programmers now days.

It's hard to know what to do haha

After 6 years of uni, I still didnt know what I wanted to do, so I took a full time job in food retail for a while.

Through some acquaintances, I wound up in the pharma industry which so far has been superb and has allowed me to do all the grown up things that old farts like me do, like buy a house, buy a nice daily driver, get married, etc etc.

I appreciate that university is not for everyone, that said, although my degrees are not relevant to what I do now nor will they ever be, the very fact that I had them was all that was needed to open the door to this industry, and once in, knowledge and experience can be gained to then move around, but without the degrees, I wouldn't even have been able to apply. So my advice to folk is doing a degree, almost irrespective of what its in, will rarely if ever do more harm than good, and you may find it opens doors that you would never have considered or thought possible.

Did I want to work in the development of clinical trial drugs as a little boy? Fuck no I didn't, I wanted to be Rex Hunt the pro-fisherman, or a pro-wrestler like all young boys in the '90s, but its funny how things pan out.

Phil.

I had a professional football contract when I was younger and was put through college by the club studying sport science part time. Then I had a career ending injury so had to take some time out. Got into fashion and ended up being an assistant manager of an independent high street store in my local town before we had to close due to the online market running the high street down.

So.. I decided that other than football, what is my passion. Well cars is my only other love. I went to college and did Motorsport Extended Diploma Lvl 2 and 3 and now I'm doing my 2 year degree. Still no idea what area Id like to go into really.

Recently been doing a module welding and doing metalwork. Really enjoying that at the moment.

I'm currently working at the smallest Sainsburys local store (we have 3 very small aisles). It pays well and is extremely flexible whilst I'm at uni.

I started studying to be a mechanic at the age of 14, been round cars all my life. I finished that then went on to study vehicle technology BTEC and aced that, in my last year at college I struggled to decide what I wanted to do. In the end I plucked up the courage and applied for uni to do Motorsport Engineering having decided that I didn't fancy working in a dirty garage (most are lol), feeling like I come quite far to have a skill that would be wasted working in a back street garage and not being able to influence anything of the future.

5 years on and now coming to the end of completing my degree, I'm now trying to wiggle my way in on one of the most recognised teams that spawn across various different motorsport championships, from F3 to GP2.

I guess you could say that I always knew what I wanted to do, but there has been times where I've felt like that uni may not be the answer to me getting the job I want, I have thought about going in the Royal Marines and doing various other bits and bobs.

It's not what you know it's who you know unfortunately. I'm currently joing the TA whilst working at Morrisons going into recovery mechanics not looking forwards to ironing side of life lol

ta is very good mate they get all the money now for training and courses I will definatly be joining the ta when I get out of the regulars