I wanting a d/a or a rotary polisher?? D/a are great as they are a fail safe machine very very unlikely u will burn the paint with one however they have a lot less cut that a rotary.

Rotary in the other hand have lots of cut work fast with good results but it takes a lot of practice because you will burn the paint at some point without a doubt. If your wanting to spend some good money then rotary I would buy a flex polisher they are fantastic light weight and lots of power. D/a wise there are plenty do do juice do a good entry level one that's great for taking out swirls and light scratches if your wanting to get big then buy a rupes Bigfoot they are the most powerful d/a but up need a bank loan haha

If your gunna hit it with a microfibre cutting pad then your gunna need to hit it again after with a foam pad otherwise you will see little scratches left by the fibres and also make sure you keep that microfibre pad clean while your using it other wise after 2-3 passes its gunna lose its cut and make bigger scratches taking even more time to correct personally I don't use em but every car is differant and use whatever you think workes the best.

Best thing to do is start the least aggressive you can always make your way up :)

Edited by rinseep82

Yes like you say it does need to be kept clean, brush it out after each pass.

Unbelivably the Megs cutting compound and their micro fibre cutting pads leave next to no marks on there. Always refine afterwards with foam and some ultrafina tho.

Would it be quicker to just use a rotary with a foam polishing pad? Never used a rotary before but I was considering buying one as most people who want their cars doing by me own cars with hard paint (German)

Edited by Amjad

Not all German paint is hard tho most new German cars are but don't go into a job thinking its German it's hard paint I can go in all guns blazing every car is differant if your doing it a lot mate then ied get both a d/a and a rotary and if you've never used a rotary before I really do suggest u practice before you start doing other people's cars because u WILL burn the paint the more you practice the better you'll get.

Also with rotary buffers 90% of the time will need to 2 stage a car anyway because they make a lot of heat they will marr the paint and its makes it look really cloudy until you do the next step however with a d/a marring doesn't happen unless you use a microfibre cutting pad personally I use a foam cutting pad on all my jobs and just do a small test somewhere on the car and see what works like I said start light and work your way up using a combination of differant pads and polishers until you get the results you are looking for. Just remember to allways clean your pad regularly or you'll do more harm than good

Edited by rinseep82