Coolant temperature sensor

Hi everyone... newbie here!

I have a 1998 (S reg) EP91 starlet. Over the last 18 months or so I've seen the engine management light come on intermittently (usually when the engine is not quite fully warmed up) and occasionally (but very infrequently) had some moments when I've felt the engine losing power and pulling back.

I used the EFI diagnostics link and got error code 22 (open or short circuit on coolant temperature sensor).

I bought a new sensor (Cambiare VE375145 3 pin) and fitted it to the car. I took it out for a short drive this morning, and although the engine seemed to be running OK, the engine temperature dial was showing off the scale as soon as the engine got even slightly warm. I put the old sensor back and the temperature dial seems normal now. No engine management light either, but I've only run it for a short time since re-fitting the old sensor and it was only ever an intermittent thing.

Any thoughts? Is it likely that the new sensor is faulty? Or the wrong part?

Edited by benjus

Update - this morning, with the engine completely cold, it wouldn't start properly (with the old sensor). It would idle slowly for a few seconds before cutting out, and the accelerator did nothing.

I put the new sensor in again and it started fine first time. But the temp gauge is wonky again - it's in the middle of the scale with the engine almost cold. Is it just a case of recalibrating the gauge to work with the new sensor or something like that? Or does the sensor have 2 separate functions (one for the engine management, one for the temp gauge) and the old sensor is working on the temp gauge and not on engine management, and the new sensor is the other way around?

• 1 year later...

Hi Benjus,

I am having exactly the same issue with the same car - S reg ep91.

I have changed the Denso sensor at the back of the dashboard, and now the coolant sensor (which was really hard to find).

But still, I have the issue of not always starting very well - takes about 4 pulls, and then after she's warmed up for a while the revs increase to above the normal idle.

Which is fine unless you're stuck in traffic.

If you have any pointers I would love to hear from you.

• 1 month later...

Hi I too have had this problem my temp sensors completely off the scale not had the idling issue it does that when you completely remove the plug from the sensor it chugs and dies I'd say that sensors very dead.

It seems that when mine I broke my simultaneously broke my coolant temp sensor (green one single pin) and my thermostat taken my thermostat out for now and wired my fan so it's always on while I wait for my switch sensor.

Edited by J0n4th4n0