Hi all I've finally sourced a manual gearbox and shafts ect for my 5 door 4paw 😜 I'm obviously going boost but I'm wanting to know what's best setup to go for is it worth going forged what power are these gearboxes good for what would be safe bhp ect thanks in advance

They will take what ever you throw at them but if I was to do it over again personally I would want a fast spooling turbo that pulls hard all the way to redline. 200 bhp would be brilliant fun and very driveable without breaking the bank.

The 4paw drivetrain has had a few people put 300 - 350bhp put through it before.

However the half shafts are the weak link and can snap with repeated abuse. The syncros in the gearboxes are just as prone to failure as the turbo boxes. The rest of the drivetrain seems pretty solid, just make sure you grease the propshaft and have clean oil in the box, transfer box and rear diff.

As for which setup, the short ratio in the 4paw gearbox gives them have savage acceleration so if you choose a fairly small turbo say TD04 or smaller that will give you a very driveable motor.

ct9 hybrid would be perfect, I am going to change for something like that soon. Ive had three 4x4 and currently own two. Ive tried various turbos and had 350bhp daily with only gearbox failure as problems with the drive train after a serious amount of abuse.

It depends what you want from the car but you shouldnt be concerend about reliabilty there pretty strong.

They do take some beating! I run a greedy td05 with 300+bhp and use it daily aswell as drag racing and track days

Had abit of shit with clutches and and synchros but fitted gt internals into the gearbox now and it's taking it well!

They do take some beating! I run a greedy td05 with 300+bhp and use it daily aswell as drag racing and track days

Had abit of shit with clutches and and synchros but fitted gt internals into the gearbox now and it's taking it well!

What gt gearbox internals should I use ect I'm debating what to do with it... It will be coming off road soon for a year to get manual conversion and full respray turbo conversion ect but I want around 250

To be quite honest, whilst my CT9 is smoking and the exhaust manifold is blowing, my CT9 makes full boost at the same time my brothers WEPR TD04 at 4 grand. Sure mine spools up faster to give more power down the lower rev range, but really peak boost is just as laggy.

To be quite honest, whilst my CT9 is smoking and the exhaust manifold is blowing, my CT9 makes full boost at the same time my brothers WEPR TD04 at 4 grand. Sure mine spools up faster to give more power down the lower rev range, but really peak boost is just as laggy.

You need to get that fixed man, that sounds really shit.

You need to get that fixed man, that sounds really shit.

?? His is a Billet Aluminium Hybrid turbo.

And my CT9 is touch a bar. Very strange because it seems to scream to the red line holding boost very well. It almost feels like it has V-Tec the way the boost comes in mid-range, then come 4 grand the wheels spin again as a bar is made.

I'm not interested in fixing it. I only drive it on the weekends. My plan is to buy a WEPR GT20 fast spool up kit and the works. So a smokey CT9 isn't high on my priorities at the moment.

Those exhaust threads are. Again this might be a head off job and I might wait until I do the turbo kit.

What with this problems fixed, when would it make a bar boost??? Can't see it being much quicker than 4k. Engines forged.

?? His is a Billet Aluminium Hybrid turbo.

And my CT9 is touch a bar. Very strange because it seems to scream to the red line holding boost very well. It almost feels like it has V-Tec the way the boost comes in mid-range, then come 4 grand the wheels spin again as a bar is made.

I'm not interested in fixing it. I only drive it on the weekends. My plan is to buy a WEPR GT20 fast spool up kit and the works. So a smokey CT9 isn't high on my priorities at the moment.

Those exhaust threads are. Again this might be a head off job and I might wait until I do the turbo kit.

What with this problems fixed, when would it make a bar boost??? Can't see it being much quicker than 4k. Engines forged.

A CT9 should make a bar waaay before 4k, the exhaust mani blowing is not helping matters.

Anyway this was a 4paw thread.

A CT9 should make a bar waaay before 4k, the exhaust mani blowing is not helping matters.

Anyway this was a 4paw thread.

It's all relevant anyway since we're discussing setups. I was just saying a decent TD04 is by no means laggy.

I actually prefer to drive TD04 since you can drive the car like a naturally aspirated engine off boost. I'd imagine if you're boosting/tuning a 85/95 then you will want semi-decent power with easy potential to go further.

Just my two pence.

It's all relevant anyway since we're discussing setups. I was just saying a decent TD04 is by no means laggy.

I actually prefer to drive TD04 since you can drive the car like a naturally aspirated engine off boost. I'd imagine if you're boosting/tuning a 85/95 then you will want semi-decent power with easy potential to go further.

Just my two pence.

Id agree with that, anyone who thinks a TD04 is laggy hasnt been in a properly set up TD04 starlet :) Edited by daniel_g

I had gt internal, the ratio is better but it also failed.

I had gt internal, the ratio is better but it also failed.

Did you do the gearbox work yourself or do you know whats involved?

Ive a spare GT box here i was gonna use. Can you just the GT shafts with gears... or do you need to put the GT gears on the 4paw output shaft? Ive a feeling the crown wheel on the 4paw diff is larger in diameter.

20150729_081925_zpsoaxx4i9z.jpg