So it would seem I need to replace my passenger side cv joint. I'm getting a knocking noise when turning right and the boot and all other components are covered in grease, even though the boot doesn't look split in anyway. Only had the car a couple of weeks ... Joy!

Now what I want to know is how easy is it going to be to replace? I've managed to source a new cv joint kit from camskill but I'm worried about torque settings and whether I will have the ability to change it or whether I'm better off just getting the part and sending it to the garage?

Any advise will be very much appreciated, Thank you.

It's pretty easy, changing the whole shaft is just as much work as changing the joint itself so I would change the joint then you know its going to last!

Remember there are 2 types of joint a 23 spline and 30 spline, the only way to tell is to take your current joint off.

If you have ABS you need a joint that has the ABS ring.

Also you need a deep socket to get the hub nut off.

Apart from that its all straight forward nuts and bolts and a bit of hammering.

Take the wheel off undo the hub nut once undone give it a whack with a leather mallet not a hammer just so the cv joint moves in and out like sexy time, take the nut of the balljoint use a long bar to prize the arm down and the ball joint will come out the hub pull the hub towards you but hold the cv joint from behind so it comes out then push the hub to the side and u will have your driveshaft and cv joint exposed, you need to be careful tho because u can easily pull the driveshaft out the gearbox and u dont want that its mess and smells of cat piss.

Once uve done that cut off the old cv boot and clear away the dirty grease and where the driveshaft goes into the cv joint there will be a circlip. Use long nose pliers to squeeze the open end together and use that mallet again to knock the cv off the shaft.

Now jus stick the new one on it and jobs a good un.

Enjoy. If your not mechanically minded then invite some people to come watch it will be amusing. Goodluck.