thought's on speedvision hybrid ct9?

I've literally just fitted one to a mates Glanza and will hopefully be taking it for a drive today or tomorrow, just finished making the decat drop pipe then will be putting it back together.

I have a tongs on mine and as said above I was led to believe they were the superior turbo. I had mine modified with a bigger comp wheel and exhaust wheel and Ive been yet to run over stock boost.

That said even stock boost was night and day compared to a standard ct9.

You could always go TD04 if you really wanted to set a new trend lol.

Well this is all fitted and the turbo does feel pretty strong and is a step up over the stock unit, however even with the actuator completely removed and the wastegate wired fully open the engine sees boost cut before redline is achieved. The setup is an aftermarket stock location manifold, speedvisionCP turbo, 2inch down pipe, HKS exhaust, stock ecu, no form of boost control (un-touched line from turbo cover to the actuator when it was fitted).

It seems pretty obvious the "ported" wastegate is not big enough. Has anyone else had this issue?

Direct from speedvision

I got the same turbo from the same place and had problems with boost control i did noticed it had basically the same size wastegate as the stock unit but over all wasn't bad but oil seals didn't seem to last long tho, but I did replace it with a Tongs one and it had the enlarged wastegate which was a lot better.

I've taken the turbo off again to day and checked the wastegate port size. Factory is roughly 21.8mm and theirs is 23.5mm. The wastegate flap is 27.25mm so I have ported the housing out to 25.5mm and also shaped the port entry inside the housing (an old trick I used to do all the time years ago). Took it for a drive with the actuator off and it doesn't get any boost now which is a good sign. Rain and beer stopped play for the day. Will update tomorrow once the actuator is back on.

Well this is all fitted and the turbo does feel pretty strong and is a step up over the stock unit, however even with the actuator completely removed and the wastegate wired fully open the engine sees boost cut before redline is achieved. The setup is an aftermarket stock location manifold, speedvisionCP turbo, 2inch down pipe, HKS exhaust, stock ecu, no form of boost control (un-touched line from turbo cover to the actuator when it was fitted).

It seems pretty obvious the "ported" wastegate is not big enough. Has anyone else had this issue?

The holes never big enough ;)

Ok update on this, as I thought the waste gate port size was the culprit and after the porting the car is now holding boost properly. Its quite amusing that Speedvision suggested a boost controller or restricting the exhaust would solve the problem. If the waste gate flap wired full open with no actuator results in boost cut still being hit then no boost controller would have helped, and restricting the exhaust is counter intuitive. Good little turbo but below average experience with dealing with them.

If the guage is to be believe with no boost control the actuator holds approx 6-7psi and with the bleed I've got it to right on the limit of the stock ecu at 12psi (actually managed to get a code34 without actually hitting cut so it must be right on the edge). I've actually taken a couple of turns out of the bleed to cover really cold nights with higher air density which could cause a touch of extra boost so its probably more like 10.5-11psi now. AFR's are mega rich! Dropping into the 10's in places so there's fuel for africa - I will post a datalog from my wideband if I get a chance. Base timing is stock 10 degrees so nice and safe and probably a bit more to be found if this was knocked up a few degrees. I didn't run the detset on it.

Definitely feels better than the stock ct9 but to be honest I'm not used to stock setups any more so take my word with a grain of salt plus the downpipe and turbo manifold have been changed for units I've made.

img_1871s.jpg

img_1872s.jpg

img_1873s-e1439258934737.jpg

Edited by Stu

Good write up Stu, hopefully this helps with other people running into the same problems. Just a note, the turbo is a 3rd gen Speedvision. I've read that the earlier ones suffered from seals shitting themselves. Hopefully this issue has been rectified on the 3rd generation.

sorry for the late reply, cheers for posting back on my thread. have been looking for a tongs but really hard to get and even if i can find one they have all shit the bed. didnt go for the ebay speedvision as i found out they were fakes througbt reviews, got it direct from speed vision. dont really want to go tdo4 yet, dont wana start changing mani thats a project for another time. and stu, thats was some write up, ill have to pm you haha cheers

Sorry I can't answer that question about the gen1 SV CT9 as this is the first (and last) one I have experience with. Years ago I used to have hybrids made up for people with either VF8 or VF10 front wheels and they were all based on standard seals so possibly this is the case in which case they would be easy to change.

Yeah Andy's one pulls quite well now the boost issue has been solved. I'd say with more boost (JAM ecu would help) its would probably be a nice little upgrade The front cover casting is a bit rough in places but the machine work looks to be pretty good. Can't comment on longevity though as its only just gone on.

• 4 months later...

Still hits cut on the factory ecu occasionally from what I have heard (cold dense air usually causes it) - have had to slacken off the actuator arm so there's almost no preload. Last I heard its going fine, I haven't seen Andy for a while but will try to catch up with him this weekend. Turbo itself is fine, its just the wastegate port that lets it all down.

Still makes me laugh they suggested restricting exhaust flow to combat the boost spike

these are the same as the 1 i got from toyosports ere in the uk there a great cheap replacement ct9 with a tat bigger compressor housing but stock exhaust size propeller

they still suffer from the heat like a stock ct9 so useless above a bar really

stock tfo35hm will out perform this turbo in al ways and have almost identical spool