bump steer and roll centre

hmm had a thought. could you remove the studs from the ball joint put a spacer between the arm and ball joint? Secure with nut + bolt and longer threaded bolt for the third? Just not sure if it would put too much directional stress on it.

Edited by Broony

Yeah the spacer would need a proper design I wouldn't wanna risk just washer like spacing

Yeah it would have to be cnc machined, but you could use washer to get the desired gap then get the measurement to a engineering firm who could make you some.

Do you understand what bump steer is?

Do you understand what the roll centre of a chassis is?

Bump steer is a relatively easy one, invert the track rod ends (but only when the vehicle is on lowered suspension).

You may not realise it, but even something simple like changing the offset of your wheels will affect the roll centre as it will move the tyre contact patch further or towards the centre of the car, therefore changing the roll centre. Same goes for tyre widths.

Starlet's have been around a very long time now, I'm sure if these problems were such an issue, some of the big names like Jam, Cruise, Zep etc etc would have manufactured something to help reduce the negative effects.

The only reason why other car manufacturers have such devices is more purely down to components being at abnormal angles and therefore being put through excessive stresses which may cause the component to prematurely wear or worse still fail dramatically.

Edited by AdamB

Do you understand what bump steer is?

Do you understand what the roll centre of a chassis is?

Bump steer is a relatively easy one, invert the track rod ends (but only when the vehicle is on lowered suspension).

You may not realise it, but even something simple like changing the offset of your wheels will affect the roll centre as it will move the tyre contact patch further or towards the centre of the car, therefore changing the roll centre. Same goes for tyre widths.

Starlet's have been around a very long time now, I'm sure if these problems were such an issue, some of the big names like Jam, Cruise, Zep etc etc would have manufactured something to help reduce the negative effects.

The only reason why other car manufacturers have such devices is more purely down to components being at abnormal angles and therefore being put through excessive stresses which may cause the component to prematurely wear or worse still fail dramatically.

Yes I do understand Adam. I have done alot of my own research into this.

I have seen a lot of bits over on jdm auction sites but with all the passing about with registering onto site and paying import tax etc etc

Just makes me wonder why people have out an out track starlet but yet spec list doesn't reach to these items and setups

Yes I do understand Adam. I have done alot of my own research into this.

I have seen a lot of bits over on jdm auction sites but with all the passing about with registering onto site and paying import tax etc etc

Just makes me wonder why people have out an out track starlet but yet spec list doesn't reach to these items and setups

So you saying that there are these parts available for Starlets, but only on Japanese auction sites? Or you refering to other cars that have these parts listed?

I never found bump steer to be too much of an issue, not compared to some cars I've driven anyway that constantly require steering input.

The principle is there, but it is very DIY, and with cars being at different ride heights, different tyres etc means they would need to be different sized spacers, and without a kinematic diagram like this:

Kinematic_zps02pna1pw.jpg

Kinematic%202_zpsdhsppy8w.jpg

It's never going to be accurate, and certainly not a one size fits all approach.

Edited by AdamB

The principle is there, but it is very DIY, and with cars being at different ride heights, different tyres etc means they would need to be different sized spacers, and without a kinematic diagram like this:

Kinematic_zps02pna1pw.jpg

Kinematic%202_zpsdhsppy8w.jpg

It's never going to be accurate, and certainly not a one size fits all approach.

Adam is right its not just a case of one size fits all. they would have to be adjustable to be universal

Adjustable isn't going to happen. I've never seen an adjustable set for sale for any normal car.

If you were serious about your handling surely you'd lower it to an acceptable amount then correct the roll center with a fixed RCA, then tweak with other adjustments.

The only way i could see an adjustable RCA being made is with a ball joint with a long thread, then a chamfered nut under the hub and a lock nut on top. Youd just completely do away with the taper fitting.

The problem you then have is fowling on the CV joint

Adjustable isn't going to happen. Iv never seen an adjustable set for sale for any normal car.

If you were serious about your handling surely you'd lower it to an acceptable amount then correct the roll center with a fixed RCA, then tweak with other adjustments.

The only way i could see an adjustable RCA being made is with a ball joint with a long thread, then a chamfered nut under the hub and a lock nut on top. Youd just completely do away with the taper fitting.

The problem you then have is fowling on the CV joint

My Design is adjustable :)

• 1 year later...