So it has happened. Today I put a deposit down on my first starlet!

I saw this pop up on eBay and straight away started talking to the seller to organise a viewing and I went today and the car exceeded my expectations!

The car is a 1998 Solida, so thankfully it has electric windows and all them goodies! It has about 76k on it and the current owner has added a few goodies too including glanza brakes!

Here's a few pictures from the ad:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The best part for me is the colour and the speedlines! Honestly in person it was so clean!

I will be picking it up in 2 weeks time (my at is being sold on the 4th sep to a friend so have to wait til then for the money)

I have been waiting for this moment a long time and I am like a child at Christmas! I shall be joining all of you guys very soon so watch this thread

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Spent today giving the car a huge clean! Washed, Claude, polished and a coat of fusso! Still need to clean the interior but it's looking nice and sparkles like mad in the sun!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It isn't fully finished yet, I still need to black the tyres and plastics and clean the inside but had to take a break from it tonight! The car has been great so far. Only niggle is the parcel shelf rattles a fair bit and when on full lock I think the tyres may be scrubbing? Not sure!

Got on with a few bits today, got started on the interior. I noticed that the seatbelt was pretty loose and slack (the clip part) so took the seat out and had a look at the bolt as I couldn't tighten it anymore and found this.

Posted Image

Seats are soooo easy to take out!

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the culprit! The washer, At some point it has snapped, and fallen out from the bolt, not sure how! But the local motor shop was shut so need to wait, unless anyone on here has any idea what this part is called and where I can get from online?

Anyway! After that I removed the tints, I felt as the blue is a darkish shade that the tints needed to go, in my opinion the car needed lightening up, plus the rear window had a lot of creases in it! And now it looks much cleaner :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then onto cleaning! I had heard a few times that for the steering wheel and a few other bits a magic eraser (sponge) is great at cleaning as it is slightly abrasive almost like say 3000 grit sandpaper only safer. After one go around the steering wheel the water was black :') used it on some other plastics in the car and they clean up so well! Highly recommend it for plastics! Oh and gave the bay a quick wipe down.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Didn't notice until I got the car home it had a strut brace! Made me happy xD

So yeah the car is amazing so far. I have a long list of things to do! Visual first then power/performance after a couple years.

Love it.

Posted Image

Not a whole lot has happened, with it still being early days and all! But a few little bits got done. Parcel shelf speaker wiring tidied up. I will be actually wiring the other speaker up and using new wire as opposed to the current wiring which was just twisted together and left along the boot floor!

Passenger mirror has been replaced as before it had some flimsy plastic mirror in which reflected nothing!

Posted Image

There is no grass behind my car... It's all across the street xD

Posted Image

Also gave the car a quick maintenance wash after my weekend in skegvegas and I'm delighted the Fusso is doing its job well :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also is there any common problems under the bonnet that could cause the engine to sound slightly knocky/tappy when idle?

More to come soon.

9 out of 10 times its ticky injectors..... almost every starlet owner has experienced it! When it happened to me i thought by engine was buggered haha

turn the car on a stick your head by the engine and pin point where the noise is

nothing to worry about if its that :D

James

Edited by jimmymac101

9 out of 10 times its ticky injectors..... almost every starlet owner has experienced it! When it happened to me i thought by engine was buggered haha 

turn the car on a stick your head by the engine and pin point where the noise is 

nothing to worry about if its that :D

James 

Well that's good! I have a feeling it might be that as it's coming from a round that area so thanks! :D

Question! I was under the bonnet today attempting to put the new inlet on, ran out of light before finishing so quickly got it back together. And every now and then the canister located below my intake pipe was making a buzzing sound, it definately sounded electric but I couldn't see any dodgey connections or wires! Anyone had this?

Zj055Br.png

Edited by Westley

Mine also does this I've done everything above can only notice it when bonnet is open weirdly but it's a very werid buzzing noise that does sound electrical I haven't found out how to sort it though lol been doing it for months now never hurt it

I assumed it was the charcoal canister! Thanks guys.

Managed to finally get the Corolla inlet mani on today, had the car in the garage since Saturday afternoon, the mani would not play ball at all, two bolts were rounded and I needed more hose for the sensor on the back of the mani. But it's on now and seems to be all in working order.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks to RoryWebb432 for the mani! Great guy to do business with!

And got a toms radiator cap on just to spice the bay up a little bit!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks to Nanglebadger for the cap! Great guy, great service and he got it to me ASAP!

Few more plans for the car and a few more bits coming next week so stay tuned

Slacking man .... Should have given the mani a coat of paint haha

Loving what your doing though

James

Haha! I know I wanted to, but I'll do it when I paint the rocker cover. It'll be going wrinkle black with gold detailing/text

Thanks though!