EP82 AERO development car wanted! - Backyard Civics

Mine is never used on the road, and with the current issues I'm having with my engine it wont be going anywhere at all until we have winter out of the way. I'll just trailer the car minus engine over to Mark in the new year and let him have at it while I sort my engine out.

Aim is to have the car up and running for round 1 of the Toyota sprint series, hopefully that's toward the back end of March.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is never used on the road, and with the current issues I'm having with my engine it wont be going anywhere at all until we have winter out of the way. I'll just trailer the car minus engine over to Mark in the new year and let him have at it while I sort my engine out.

Aim is to have the car up and running for round 1 of the Toyota sprint series, hopefully that's toward the back end of March.

Ah see mine is used on the road, it's my daily so as not to ruin my show van. I wouldn't mind spectating at the Toyota Sprint series, do you have any more info on it? Will be nice to see how it comes along. You just going for a wing and front splitter?

Hope you don't mind me posting this here Scott, the hype is real! :yahoo:

12376566_1001282193248867_18573301278278

Thanks for posting it Amjad, I don't mind at all, I would have posted it myself but due to nightshift I didn't have time. Yes, she is very nearly completed, just needs the front and rear air release panels installing in the bumpers and then she will be returned to me, I'm super stoked! More pictures shall be uploaded both in this section and my build thread when I have given her a clean 😊

• 2 weeks later...

Another little update, I got the car back just after christmas, and god do I love it! It looks better than I imagined it would, and so much better in the flesh! :D

The wing is currently set at the lowest point, with only a slight bit of a kick on the aerofoil itself until I get it out on track to adjust it properly. The front splitter runs back to under the engine for now until the rear splitter brackets are fitted, at which point I will fit a full splitter and flat floor. I have had the rear air release panel fitted by Mark but the front is not yet fitted due to the machine shop closing early for the christmas period, so that will be fitted when the rear splitter brackets are sent up at the same time.

F6EC9005-87C6-4B74-8DCF-EDFA1B66F614_zps

12B09237-D2B7-4794-A2BF-C96B46D68B25_zps

I shall report how things feel once everything is finished and set up properly on track.

Any comments and criticism are welcomed as always.

Scott :thumbsup:

The front splitter is a work of art. For it to function properly it needs to be mounted to the chassis, not the bumper. Which it has!

The air release is also a work of art! I have a design for that too im yet to do a run of to see how they come out!

The spoiler though, its top mounts are mounted to a plastic spoiler? :s

The point of the rear wing is to push the back of the car down at high speed to gain stability. Not sure I'd recommend pushing down on the tip of a plastic spoiler to try and push the rear of the car down?

Just a thought. I would have thought mounting it to metal. Boot/Roof would be a wiser move?

Just my 2 cents.

The front splitter is a work of art. For it to function properly it needs to be mounted to the chassis, not the bumper. Which it has!

The air release is also a work of art! I have a design for that too im yet to do a run of to see how they come out!

The spoiler though, its top mounts are mounted to a plastic spoiler? :s

The point of the rear wing is to push the back of the car down at high speed to gain stability. Not sure I'd recommend pushing down on the tip of a plastic spoiler to try and push the rear of the car down?

Just a thought. I would have thought mounting it to metal. Boot/Roof would be a wiser move?

Just my 2 cents.

I understand what you're getting at, but it's more of a support than a mount. It's already mounted at 4 points then laterally braced, and the aerofoil is also bonded into a permanent position. It's very very solid, and probably wouldn't need the top mounts to be honest, but being fully adjustable and so sturdy I'm more than happy with it 😊 Edited by scott-d-

There are the large mounts above the number plate surround, then there are 2 plates going into the bootlid itself, each with 3 large bolts securing it. There is then the 'X' brace in the middle supporting both side plates. I can assure you that the top mount isn't really needed, but is there for a little extra reassurance. Mark really knows what he's doing and wouldn't design and sell something that isn't safe and doesn't work.

There are the large mounts above the number plate surround, then there are 2 plates going into the bootlid itself, each with 3 large bolts securing it. There is then the 'X' brace in the middle supporting both side plates. I can assure you that the top mount isn't really needed, but is there for a little extra reassurance. Mark really knows what he's doing and wouldn't design and sell something that isn't safe and doesn't work.

I See. Its not easy to see where it's mounted from the photos that's all.

Never said for one second he didn't know what he was doing either bud. Was merely pointing out from the photos it "looked" like it was mounted to a plastic spoiler. That was all :)

I look forward to seeing some feedback of the changes its made to the handling of the car.

Nice work, but the only way to prove this works is to do back to back testing with and without aero.

Aerodynamics is a process of on going development.

Design looks ok imo you will suffer with high speed understeer but only way to find out is testing good luck.

Good to see some good comments regards to my designs.

As talked about with Scott it will need setting up correctly balancing the rear wing with the front splitter.

Once you find that sweet spot then you can start to push past your existing limits.

Alot of people find it hard to understand and ask "why fit an air foil/wing to a front wheel drive car"

Well After doing many testing out on track I found it started to reduce my lap times as I was able to push harder with the more stability and down force at greater speeds.

Also it takes alot of Balls to push yourself harder and faster into corners as aero don't come into full affect below 60mph.

Here are a couple videos you can watch that explains alot better than me haha....

http://bycdesigns.co.uk/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=10

Thanks guys 👍

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...