Scott's Glanza - Project Outlaw - "In For The Build"

Hi all, it's my first post on here after picking my Glanza up a few weeks back now. Now to start off with, I had a lot of trouble finding a well maintained Glanza, or at least something that hadn't been abused every day of its life, but I eventually managed to find one in Twickenham, just over 5 hours away from me, but after a lot of talking and detail swapping with the owner, I made the journey and picked up this little gem...

A34DC731-55CE-4B89-9A4D-C8A7DECAD129_zps

3B7EA220-7746-4932-8E3B-657C5C9D69A2_zps

She has reasonable mileage, is very very clean underneath, and came with minimal modifications from an older gentleman who wasn't too clued up on tuning (the intercooler and exhaust etc were from the previous owner before him). It had a small dent on the passenger side door and a small dent on the bonnet, but this wasn't an issue as the bonnet will be getting replaced with a fibreglass item anyway and the door is only a small issue, which has now been fixed.

Upon getting it home, I decided to make some temporary graphics up (as I own a graphics company and wanted to make it look a little less plain, while also covering up the small bit of damage on the door), knowing that these wouldn't be staying long I opted for a simple rising sun with Japanese text, and a Playstation themed graphics for the rear quarter.

5F00CB6C-7C74-41EE-920F-5C0268A0FEE1_zps

The next step was straightening up the intercooler and moving it into the centre, as it clearly hadn't been aligned properly, and more often than not the pipes would scrape on speedramps or uneven roads, which was annoying to say the least. I set to work and done the best I could, and although the pipes do still hang a little low for my liking, they no longer cause an issue, and will be protected when I get a new bumper and custom splitter in the near future.

659F6E0D-6546-4C29-84D0-C9A9477ABBD7_zps

B95A8A94-F418-43B3-9E3D-355438C28E60_zps

Simple things were next, in the form of new numberplates to replace the current ones, which seemed to slowly be delaminating, and to get rid of that tacky strip light on the front grill.

It was on the way back from work a few days later that I started to have trouble with the car, spluttering and coughing up the highway. Just finishing nightshift to a car that wasn't performing right didn't make my mood any better, but it soon stopped and I put it down to dodgy fuel. Upon further inspection later that day, I found out that my core HT lead was actually split, along with one of plug leads damaged at the cap, causing it to misfire badly. Immediately I got on the phone to Tuning Developments, who swiftly got me a set of Magnecore ignition leads, a new distributor cap, rotor arm and set of iridium plugs sent out, curing the problem and giving the car a new lease of life. At the time of fitting, the plastic induction pipe was seen to be a little worse for wear at the filter end, so this was shortened and the filter placed up front, but only temporarily until I can get a 'proper' filter relocation kit.

3411A094-C1A5-4D6A-B413-69E9E393E1C9_zps

9605302F-B22E-4B30-9041-94F13FC620B6_zps

The next job on the list was to sort the handling. Being used to air ride on my van, and coilovers on pretty much everything else I've owned previously, I just wasn't happy with the Spax springs that were fitted (not to say there was anything wrong with them, I just wanted something more substantial) and so opted for a set of MeisterR ZetaR coilovers. This made the car feel so much more planted, and really does inspire confidence when driving. I didn't set them too low, as I want the car to be practical, but maintain the good handling characteristics, and knowing that going too low can mess up the geometry, settled for a happy medium, something that's lower than standard, handles brilliantly, is still comfy, and can quite happily accommodate a full car without any bother.

59979534-3BBA-4EF6-B42B-B536BD2430EF_zps

6803CFFC-B048-49ED-A5EC-C2955EF2C4E3_zps

43AE6130-21E9-4034-B7FB-1015F2E05E8B_zps

There hasn't been much else done yet, other than make myself a sunstrip and remove the temporary graphics, ready for the new ones to be applied. I am currently getting a few parts developed for my car, and will unveil what they are very soon when it goes off to get them fitted and setup, then after that, I will see about upgrading the engine, going for a TD04. I would also like to get rid of the blow off valve at some point too, as they really aren't my thing, so I will have to see about a replacement pipe to get rid of that, as it is currently just blocked off. This will be a progressive build, and may not progress at the speed I'd like it to, but that's due to work. money, and finishing off my van for the shows.

I hope to get to meet some of you at some point, and thanks for reading my thread. Any constructive criticism will be listened to, good or bad, and I will update this as my build progresses. Oh, can't forget this little guy before I go either, he's the new little mascot!

89FBDF9C-DBB3-4B13-8FFD-FBCA6A946E33_zps

Cheers all,

Scott. :thumbsup:

Edited by scott-d-
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Well, just a little update on the Glanza.

I've recently decided not to go for a TD04 kit or similar, as I still want to retain the fast response times of the CT9, so will eventually be going for a hybrid instead. Following this decision, I picked up a ramhorn manifold and decat, and set about removing the aircon. While doing all of this, it was a good chance to get a new radiator and short route hot pipe and relocate the air filter.

5A4B7E28-DE78-434A-A9E3-9196AB5AE1E8_zps

1C920760-61E3-4767-960A-D80846C298C9_zps

I got rid of the neo chrome shifter too and replaced that with a carbon fibre item, which feels so much better and nicer to shift with.

4A1D145E-702D-46A9-A41B-FDF32F43F8D2_zps

Another change was the graphics, it needed a fresh look and because I want it to really stand out on the track and in day to day use, I designed and made the new ones. The BYC graphics have also been applied in preparation for some bodywork which will be getting done in the coming weeks, so once it's back I shall update once again.

F4B12FF8-AE09-4D69-8671-405B8EAAFEB6_zps

D25FFB93-A34D-48F6-B0A6-4A975D57E844_zps

Last but not least was the installation of a laser fog light. I like things to be "different" and the theory behind it works, so I got it all fitted up. I am yet to find out how visible it is for cars behind, but it certainly projects a beam as it was meant to, but only time will tell.

34A7144C-C71B-4992-94C7-033E466A2B16_zps

That is all for now, but I will keep it updated as and when parts are fitted.

Scott :thumbsup:

V is looking smart buddy, nice and different to the norm 8)

Thanks mate, it's nice to stand out a little :). I'm not chasing figures, just want a nice responsive little car to get on the track, still have a few more plans for her yet but it'll mostly be after christmas now.

The graphics suit it so much! I love seeing cars with graphics on them (as long as they aren't stupid) and the laser light looks brilliant! I'd love to see that in action, bet it'll confuse some people at first sight!

Thanks man, I'm pleased people like it! Just thought it would be a change as you very rarely see them with graphics on :D

Nice little project! I presume you'll be getting Aero done? :)

Link to the laser foglight? Looks mad!

Yeah gonna be getting some aero done, it's going away on saturday to get some work done, then I fancy a cruise bonnet and front bumper with canards and all :D. The fog light was just off ebay matey :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update.

The Glanza is currently away with Mark Burnett at BYC Designs getting my rear wing, front splitter and front and rear bumper diffusers designed and fitted, so there will be another update with pictures very soon!

I have managed to pick up some Evo 8 seats already on runners ready to bolt in as soon as the car comes back, and also some TRS Magnum Pro harnesses, where I'll also fit my canards and tint my lights at the same time. I'll see about stripping the car and maybe flocking the dash while the seats and all are out, but I'm undecided whether to go ahead with it or not yet.

I also need to fit my adjustable actuator and 255lph fuel pump when it comes back, ready for it going for a Greddy Emanage ECU from TD, but this will most probably be after Christmas now. Then it will be time for a cage and a brake upgrade, but this will be later in 2016.

Pictures will be uploaded as things progress, and any comments or constructive criticism is welcomed.

Scott :)

Looking forward to seeing pics! Will be interesting to see how Mark tackled the rear diffuser given the room that the beam takes up

Ah, he's not doing a diffuser as such, it's a diffuser for the bumper to reduce the parachute effect at higher speeds, reducing drag. I will be looking to fit a rear diffuser at some point though, just as I did on my MX5, which was an MMG diffuser from a Lotus Elise, but fitted well and stabilised the rear at speed. Sorry for the confusion!

• 2 weeks later...

Small update as of 18/12/2015

Just another small update on the car. It is very nearly finished being with Mark at BYC, with it only taking so long because of the adverse weather we've had over the past couple of weeks. Here are a few pictures of the wing and front splitter mounts. More pictures will be uploaded once the car is back in my possession.

12369694_10208139652952247_900323828_o_z

BA3AEC94-CD6F-4ACA-8D20-7FD03AD39E1E_zps

12359655_10208139652632239_1206459297_o_

12380686_10208139652552237_1675991786_o_

I have also purchased a new steering wheel, opting for a Personal Grinta 330mm in red suede, and a HKB boss adapter.

43C2502D-7F8F-4D61-945E-F68038697674_zps

82020007-CC01-4B1A-8394-AA0F6D4ABCCC_zps

I really can't wait to get the car back, there's so much I have to do to her, and so much I would like doing to her before Japfest in April. (Not to mention I'm missing boost something chronic!) :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, happy new year everyone, and all the best for 2016!

Another little update, I got the car back just after christmas, and god do I love it! It looks better than I imagined it would, and so much better in the flesh! :D

The wing is currently set at the lowest point, with only a slight bit of a kick on the aerofoil itself until I get it out on track to adjust it properly. The front splitter runs back to under the engine for now until the rear splitter brackets are fitted, at which point I will fit a full splitter and flat floor. I have had the rear air release panel fitted by Mark but the front is not yet fitted due to the machine shop closing early for the christmas period, so that will be fitted when the rear splitter brackets are sent up at the same time.

F6EC9005-87C6-4B74-8DCF-EDFA1B66F614_zps

12B09237-D2B7-4794-A2BF-C96B46D68B25_zps

0CF67DB2-97BC-4867-8F54-6FA5CC7750D5_zps

My carbon fibre number plate panel also turned up, which was a nice little surprise, which means I can get rid of the reverse lights for a look I haven't seen many others go for yet, so I'll get some pictures uploaded once fitted.

6C3FB8D8-68C0-415F-92B1-6E9C41D943D9_zps

I decided to start the new year as I mean to go on, and got my Evo 8 Recaro's fitted today, along with the TRS harnesses. They feel so much better than the standard seats and are comfier than I expected, a feeling which is made much better with the Personal wheel. :D

F89A1859-0EB7-4306-A980-E2EF80E835A8_zps

34963EDD-B93C-41B8-864B-F138AE77865C_zps

C1103C90-C9FA-4DA4-9708-5E045E986771_zps

I have a lot more planned for the car this year, all of which will take time and money, but will all be worth it in the end!

I'll finish this update with a couple of my favourite recent pictures of the car. As always, any comments and criticism are welcomed.

Scott :thumbsup:

Well I'm all booked up with Tuning Developments for a Greddy Emanage Blue and mapping session on the 16th, so it's time to get the fuel pump and actuator fitted when I'm not at work (and when this bloody weather settles!)

I'll post the results when it's done 😊

Absolutely love the car already mate seen it on Facebook and the wing is savage I always wanted to see one with a wing like that on it! Following this thread for sure

Haha cheers mate, it's had a lot of mixed reviews, but I love it! It still needs a few finishing touches to the bumpers and all, still have canards and a front air release panel to fit, but she's getting there :)

Nice to see it appreciated though, cheers pal :thumbsup:

Edited by scott-d-

After another call to Tuning Developments yesterday, I've decided that I'm going to get a GFB G-Force 2 EBC fitted while I'm down there, in preparation for a TD04 kit hopefully later this year. I wasn't originally going to go for a TD04 but the cravings for more power have started, and the guys at TD really know their stuff. I'll be using them for my full build, so really looking forward to seeing the difference, starting with the ECU upgrade and more boost!

I'll report back with the results once all is fitted and mapped. :D

Once you go td04 you won't miss ct9 whatsoever mate pulls like a train especially if it's externally gated and the noise oh god :o:)

I'm already saving for a TD04 conversion haha, has to be externally gated with a screamer! After that, forged engine and more boost... It'll take time but it'll be worth it :)