Scott's Glanza - Project Outlaw - "In For The Build"

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The went from 0 to 100 real quick haha! Be interesting to see The sequential box too! Have you got any pictures of the cage?

Haha yeah it did, go hard or go home though right?! I'll throw some pictures up in the morning of the cage and all, it certainly makes a difference though!

Really smart looking car! Good work.

What's the understeer like with that wing fitted?

Thanks man, much appreciated!

There is no understeer chassis wise, the only thing currently letting the car down is tyres! It has a large splitter mounted to the chassis up front that extends underneath the engine to aid in downforce, and a set of canards to help airflow too. Everything is adjusted in what seems to be the optimal position. I'll upload the video from Rockingham shortly so you can see for yourself :)

As promised, here are the photo's of the recent modifications, and the video from Rockingham, but before I upload them, I've realised that in my haste, I'd actually forgotten a few things!

I purchased a FIA/MSA compliant "plumbed in" fire extinguisher kit, which was fitted just incase of emergencies, as it's better to be safe than sorry! The canister is a 4.25 litre bottle mounted behind the passenger seat, with spray nozzles located in the drivers and passengers footwell, and at all 4 corners of the engine bay, covering all necessary locations, with 2 "pull cords", one internal and one external.

9_zpscevnl4mu.jpg

Please excuse the messy engine bay, I really need to get round to cleaning and tidying it up a bit!

8_zpsdvfyywoc.jpg

Next up was another small, simple modification which made a big difference! The standard dash bulbs were pitiful, and so I upgraded them to LED's. They're so much brighter and make the dash much more pleasant to look at. I ended up changing the sidelights to match too as I purchased too many bulbs, better than them going to waste though!

4_zps85evuiks.jpg

(Green Eyed Monster!)
3_zpscemxm7rt.jpg

Following on from this, we have two modifications that have no real benefit other than aesthetics (unless you really need to hold on to the handle!), but I added a tsurikawa ring (subway handle) to the passenger side interior, and a US sized license plate and surround, which I think ties in well with the carbon license plate surround.

5_zpsnb6h7dh0.jpg

7_zpsjbjyobnh.jpg

Lastly, we have something a little larger. Somehow I forgot to mention that only a few weeks before Japfest 2, I started to experience clutch slip, so travelled back down to Tuning Developments for a Stage 3 Spec paddle clutch, lightened flywheel and a polyurethane rear gearbox mount!

10_zpsidmjard9.jpg

So, finally, as promised, pictures of the cage and interior, and pictures and video's from the track!

15_zpsqijtatnl.jpg

12_zpsbdb0cup2.jpg

11_zps1htvwmjy.jpg

13_zpshzfeyrst.jpg

6_zpskkdn0zik.jpg

I'll have to thank GoldenVTR for this one, hope he doesn't mind, but this will show (briefly) how planted the car is. With a bit more commitment and confidence from myself (not forgetting experience!), a little more power and some better tyres, I think it would have been much more capable!

The second video is from the GoPro mounted to the lower part of the front bumper on my Glanza, which again shows just how she performed (along with some rather sexual spooling and chattering!)

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY3AhDdqs0k&app=desktop

Thanks for reading, I shall keep the thread updated as things progress, and any hints, tips, advice or constructive criticism is welcomed as always!

Scott 8)

Edited by scott-d-

You need time in your car, and some tuition. Learn to use all of the track rather than driving down the middle of it, learn to carry speed rather than relying on power.

A sequential gearbox automatically propels you into the Pro classes at Time Attack, look at time sheets from previous rounds, book track days, use Harry's Lap Timer, or buy a Racelogic Performance box and figure out how far off podium pace you are for your class.

You need time in your car, and some tuition. Learn to use all of the track rather than driving down the middle of it, learn to carry speed rather than relying on power.

A sequential gearbox automatically propels you into the Pro classes at Time Attack, look at time sheets from previous rounds, book track days, use Harry's Lap Timer, or buy a Racelogic Performance box and figure out how far off podium pace you are for your class.

I agree, more time is needed in the car, I was mainly concentrating on "getting a feel" for things, and as mentioned, it was my first track time in the car, so was very foreign to me. The line wasn't far off the line we were shown on the pace lap, though if I was to use all of the track, I don't honestly think the tyres would have held out under harsh cornering, though I done the best I could and gave it my best shot.

Thanks for the advice! The gearbox is mainly due to the standard items being fairly unreliable as power increases, and instead of repeatedly fitting standard gearboxes, it makes sense to upgrade.

More track time is a certainty, but until then, better tyres and a few more adjustments shall be made to the car, after all, it was the cars first time on track, as well as mine!

Thanks for your input :)

Edited by scott-d-

No worries, driving quickly on track takes practice. I'd also highly recommend using a trailer, not worrying about how you're going to get the car home if breaks, or you go off the circuit makes track days much more fun. Plus it'll preserve the life of that gearbox!

See about getting a decent sim racing setup at home, it's amazing what a difference that can make to your driving.

I dread to think what the Quaife bill is going to be.

You could pay labour and have 9-10 recon c52 boxes fitted for the money. Big investment dude if your only just starting to get into driving it on track.

The gearbox's seem to not like 300-330bhp. Seems to be the starting point of issues.

Car looks great tho and is progressing nicely. Ill be keeping an eye on it!

No worries, driving quickly on track takes practice. I'd also highly recommend using a trailer, not worrying about how you're going to get the car home if breaks, or you go off the circuit makes track days much more fun. Plus it'll preserve the life of that gearbox!

See about getting a decent sim racing setup at home, it's amazing what a difference that can make to your driving.

I used to have a sim setup in the house, but lack of use didn't warrant it enough, I enjoy just being out and driving way more! And I'll be getting myself a trailer as soon as I get the car finished and get a towbar on the Caddy, so that's no issue :).

As soon as the car is finished and I know everything is there that I need so it's reliable, I plan to do as many track days as possible, as skill only comes with experience!

Thanks again for your input.

I dread to think what the Quaife bill is going to be.

You could pay labour and have 9-10 recon c52 boxes fitted for the money. Big investment dude if your only just starting to get into driving it on track.

The gearbox's seem to not like 300-330bhp. Seems to be the starting point of issues.

Car looks great tho and is progressing nicely. Ill be keeping an eye on it!

The bill isn't going to be the smallest that's for sure, but knowing I'll have some strength in what's known to be a weak component is very reassuring. I don't mind shelling out money for quality parts, and it's the passion that keeps me going, as I've mentioned to TimD, as soon as its complete I'll be hitting the tracks as much as possible.

Thanks for the input and comments, I'll keep you all updated with how it goes!

Cheers :)

Car looks good mate and some personal touches taking place.

As for towing the Glanza with a caddy, that's a no no. Caddy doesn't have the weight rating to tow a trailer and the Glanza hence my reason for opting for another Trafic.

Keep up the work bud!

John

Car looks good mate and some personal touches taking place.

As for towing the Glanza with a caddy, that's a no no. Caddy doesn't have the weight rating to tow a trailer and the Glanza hence my reason for opting for another Trafic.

Keep up the work bud!

John

Thanks mate, she's getting there now! Has certainly transformed since I first got her that's for sure!

Ah bugger, didn't even think about that, my bad! Yeah I see it only has around 1100kg towing capacity, rather low really, due to curb weight I'm guessing! No biggie, there's ways around that, probably see about buying a different towing rig just for use for the tracks!

There's no going back now!

Cheers John :)

Glad to see someone is gonna try that box, car has come a long way in such a short time. Keep it up!

What are you thinking for tyres? I'd love to try a staggered 225/205 f/r setup but the only tyres available in 225 and 15" are R888/R888R (bit too aggressive/soft for my daily use unfortunately). Tyres will help you figure out any handling limits, it's quite easy to overcome regular tyres on track

Good advice here..

Look forward to seeing it progress, i was considering doing the same, but i just didnt think it was worth the money in the end., Espically as i could still probably drive my off the shelf TT round a track quicker than my glanza lol.

One thing i would say though is if its soley a track car, which I'm guessing it is with that gearbox, don't put a quaife diff in it, use a clutch type plate diff. It still fits in the sequential box, you don't have to run quaifes diff.

• 3 weeks later...

Update time again!

The thread was due another update following a few more changes on the car, so here goes:

As mentioned from my last update post, the livery was removed and the damage was sorted from the previous owner, giving me a fresh blank canvas to work with.

06A8F1A3-47E9-4956-A257-087C86076FF2_zps

The bonnet scoop was smoothed into the bonnet before seeing more paint too, but this is only a temporary measure until I can sort a carbon or cruise bonnet (once my bank account recovers a little that is!).

E6BCF8EC-2065-4AD8-B84C-BF45873E0184_zps

So, I started throwing some ideas around for a new livery, something less "Need for Speed: Underground" and a little more refined (not that there's anything wrong with Need for Speed, mind you!)

My initial idea was as follows:...

75AFBE94-6BFB-4313-AB29-4AA1419F5AB6_zps

...But the more I looked at it, the less I liked it, and the more cluttered and in your face it began to look. So, I changed it again, and found something that I just KNEW was right for the look I was going for!

So here it is:

126A563F-065F-437A-8B0A-D3DCF96B689D_zps

53C94EE2-0D12-4646-8335-CBFADACD8040_zps

The number boards were smaller than the last time, and this time I made the decision to use magnetic boards, allowing me to remove them when not in use, and if i wanted to change the number/design around.

21F00B4E-3E0B-4CB3-A8BE-85A4FE9B64D7_zps

09C1C3BC-F960-4655-8D17-9123817C3396_zps

She even looks good without them!

F3A7FD3A-87F2-4B75-8C21-5AF93BD45744_zps

That's all picture wise, but on a good note, the deposit is paid for the work at Tuning Developments, which is something I'm mega excited about!

I've treat her to another little something too, but that's currently being made, so pictures will follow as soon as it arrives... (It's a little bit special! :D )

Comments and criticism welcomed as always.

Scott 8)