Scott's Glanza - Project Outlaw - "In For The Build"

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It just seems like a daft thing to put in big letters on your car?

I fully understand the play on words, but there are words you can play with, and words you really shouldn't.

For anyone who hasn't heard about it, RACEISM is a blog/forum for all types of car enthusiasts worldwide. They hold meets all over Europe, UK, Ireland etc and have a large following.

Everyone nowadays has a Speedhunters/TOM's/TRD sunstrip, I wanted to set myself apart from the crowd, and so have gone and done something different (again!).

It won't be to everyone's taste, but I like it, and the people understand can appreciate the play on words that is, RACEISM. :)

How much did spannermonkey do the cage for? How long and did they powder coat it there?

I got the cage from Safety Devices matey, came powder coated black, but was made overseas from their factory in Italy I believe. Took 10 weeks from ordering.

Update Time Again - New Steering Wheel and Custom Exhaust!

Well, another small update, something a little 'different' this time!

The car as it stands is VERY marmite, some of you will love it, some will hate it, and these next couple modifications are certainly no different!

Anyway, first things first, the Personal wheel was removed, to make way for a pure carbon fibre wheel from Reverie Composites. As you can see from the scales, it is EXTREMELY light, and the smaller wheel feels tremendous to drive with, very precise and has a lovely feel, especially through the bends!

A401A244-B8F8-4360-99DD-94C9A5FD70E3_zps

2565414C-D4EF-4927-BCD3-77E5AEF815D1_zps

836F0601-E380-4394-ABD3-B0ACA905773E_zps

DF960264-19FC-4EE5-81CF-8DCE6FBAB219_zps

We then went to a local car meet on the Sunday night, and after leaving, decided to take some photo's alongside the girlfriend's Yaris T-Sport. Shame I forgot to put the door numbers on before I took the photos, but not to worry, as it didn't have the new exhaust on either!

YoshiMultiStorey1_zpsdommefmm.jpg

TillyMultiStorey3_zpsh8qxkdbb.jpg

MultiStoreyTwins2_zpsevqro14n.jpg

MultiStoreyTwins1_zpsjssd496i.jpg

MultiStoreyDoubleTrouble1_zps8q5pwpqn.jp

MultiStoreyDoubleTrouble2_zpscfqdt5j4.jp

Last but not least on this update, will probably be the single most controversial mod on the car! Some people will love it, some will hate it, but either way, it sounds amazing!

I had a custom exhaust made for my old Miata a few years ago, and wanted something a little crazy again, so headed back to the same company for a "Laguna Pipe" style exhaust, with just one small box and a turned up tip. It was originally a polished stainless exhaust, but I heat wrapped the box and the tip to compliment the styling of the car, and think it really suits it!

A0792EEB-FC9F-45C4-8766-2A4AFC027659_zps

AACDA469-E122-4D32-87BE-F7299A2BB158_zps

Some of you will probably notice the sticker on the underside of the wing too, that is purely for comedy value, made in a classic 8bit design too! :p

GameOver_zpsuhgvxwse.jpg

I appreciate that it's not to everyone's tastes, but that's what makes the car scene so diverse, and that's why I love it so much.

Comments and criticism accepted as always.

Scott :thumbsup:

It really is marmite some bits I like but some I don't all I can think of is batman lol if you can get up a multistory it's not low enough haha :) I can't do that exhaust!

Haha exactly matey, it always divides opinions, but, it's what I like, and it's built by me, for me, but it's nice to see it gets appreciated for the work that's went into it at least :) Haha it was the first floor of the multi storey, but it's not low by all means, I'd rather have handling than extreme lows ;-)

Edited by scott-d-
  • 3 months later...

Update time! - The project now has a name, and is more controversial than ever!

Well, it's been a while since I've updated my thread, and to be honest, I haven't done 'TOO' much!

In anticipation of the rather large build from the Jones' brothers at Tuning Developments, I got on the phone to Mike and ordered a set of K-Sport brakes to replace the 'fast road' setup I was previously using. They're in a whole different league altogether, and accompanied by a set of EBC Yellowstuff pads, are much sharper!

These were fitted no less than hours after they arrived, which highlighted the next issue... WHEELS! ... Much to my dismay, the RPF1's didn't quite have enough clearance on the inside of the wheel, and I didn't want to run spacers, so it was back on the phone to Mike to talk about a set of 15's that would clear the calipers without fouling the arches; cue the Rota Slipstreams! They fit nicely over the K-Sports without catching, and looked lovely against the car, even more so with a fresh set of R888R's!

BD9C3803-9E05-4DC7-9C2C-D7CB1B47E80D_zps

The RPF's weren't missed at all with the Rota's now on, and the car was starting to look a little better, not to mention it was performing better with the grippier rubber and greatly increased braking, something it was certainly lacking before!

I also ordered a new filter for the car due to the K&N looking a little tired, so a lovely new HKS mushroom filter was put in place of it.

701E36A3-DBCB-44FE-A3FB-95E424445080_zps

Now, the car sat for a while, and the more I looked, the more I liked it, but it was missing something... The graphics started to look a little "off" and the impact they initially had was starting to wear thin; it was time for something new!

Now, I know it's not to everyone's tastes, and I said in an earlier post that I wanted something less "Need for Speed", but I was born and raised in the 90's, so something had to give...

5FA5CE99-20C5-48D1-9C0F-3088628A34C7_zps

Yes, you're seeing this right, it's a shopping list!! And guess what?! I LOVE it! Not just the way it splits opinions and makes some cringe, but, it's fitting... The car is going in for a LOT of work, and each of these stickers is relevant to the build (not unlike your average Corsa/Saxo outside of your local Halfords!). This isn't a permanent thing though and some subtle graphics have already been designed ready for it's return once it's finished at TD.

This, however, isn't the most controversial modification that has been done recently (BELIEVE IT OR NOT!)... No, that accolade goes to my custom light pod that now graces the front of the car! I understand that this is a VERY different modification from the 'normal' Starlet scene, but, I like to be different and break the mould, and that's exactly what I've done!

12B08404-C979-463A-90EA-F08C0961A349_zps

98926FA5-15A0-421B-A794-B454263733B0_zps

F06F6842-CBA1-45F4-888E-E45FB3E2865B_zps

3983DDE6-1148-47D6-8036-850DD1CA3EA1_zps

Now, before people start commenting on how it 'spoils the appearance' and 'undoes all of my aero work', it is infact fully removable, and can be taken off easily and quickly if needed. That wasn't the idea though, I've done it because it's something that I thought would look good, and be a dramatic change to the usual changes made to Starlets.

Now, seeing it in person is totally different, and the pictures give the pod no justice as to how it fits, it's so close to the original shape of the bonnet considering it's a custom jobbie by me and my dad! It will be seen by most of you at shows next year when she's fully finished, and I know I will get a LOT of hate for these changes, but that's what makes the scene what it is, and it's refreshing to see something that breaks the mould now and again! (But I would say that ;-) )

Well, with all of that out of the way, I can conclude this update by announcing that my project finally has a name, and that is "PROJECT OUTLAW". Why, you may ask? Well, it's now at the stage that it doesn't really "fit in" with the 'normal' Starlet scene, and so with it not having a category to fit into, it's kind of a loner, an outcast... an OUTLAW!

One last word though, about the big build coming... Let's just say it's going a little bigger, a little better, and a hell of a lot more exciting; (for me at least!). She's finally in the good hands of Mike and Nick, and frankly, I can't wait!!

D652C55E-8CE7-4F4C-AC09-6A71FFD7FCE7_zps

626984FF-A705-43D8-9449-7D96AC96BE0A_zps

Thanks for reading, and I hope that this update has humoured you a little, if nothing else!

Awaiting the inevitable criticism,

Scott. :thumbsup:

Edited by scott-d-

Lights look shit lol in my opinion. Id almost understand them on a rally car Upgraded brakes and go for horse piss EBC pads( again my experience and others online)

That's fair enough dude, each to their own, some people love it, some people hate it, it was always going to divide opinions. As for the brakes, it's personal preference, I've never had any problems with EBC pads, as I'm sure many others haven't, but as with everything, it's trial and error, and finding out what works for you. I love the feel on the pedal with the combination I have now, and it's a definite improvement, so I have no complaints :)

Very Different, Keep up the work!

You have some serious £££ in this now!

Cheers dude! Yeah got some serious cash in it, but we all need something to keep us occupied! Should be a whole different car when it's finished :D

EBC pads are fine, until you use them properly, then they are dog turd.

Well, I guess that's some peoples opinions, though I've also heard some good things about them, so it's something I'll have to test for myself when the car comes back :)

I've used them properly, in my '82, and other cars.

They'll be fine on the road, but one assumes this wont be a road car, that gearbox wont last long otherwise.

That's all well and good matey, thanks for the advice, but I would much rather find out for myself, as personal experiences always differ.

The car will still be fully road legal, though won't be a daily, will be driven to shows and trailered to track days...

Well i hope they don't take 13+ months to complete yours.

I hope not, but in all honesty, it's a very big build, so it'll be finished when it's finished. I'm mega stoked for its return, but it'll be worth the wait no matter how long it takes! :)