Step by step engine compressiom test

very simple buddy take king lead off, do each cylinder one at a time by removing spark plug spin over the key for roughly 6-8 seconds with your foot fully down on accelerator make a record of the psi move to the next.

do this with engine cold and engine warm as results differ between hot and cold engines if unsure post up results,

lots of gurus on here to help you :D

that's extremely low, especially for a 5e

n/a 5e is around 200psi

turbo low compresson 5e usually around 150-180psi dependings on spec of engine/pistons/h.gasket/chamber work

the good news is that all your cylinders measure the same

can you get someone to help you with the test? ...and what brand gauge is this?

the problem is i had an engine rebuild 5 years ago and i didnt have idea on the things he done. i know they are wossner low compression. i know that i have an athena head gasket.. but dont know what thickness. had even done some headwork too...

im not feeling any loss in power i just did this test since i bought a gauge for my friend.

should i take all the plugs out or one at a time?

i will try and test my engine on warm and post up the results.

Edited by Duduglanza

the problem is i had an engine rebuild 5 years ago and i didnt have idea on the things he done. i know they are wossner low compression. i know that i have an athena head gasket.. but dont know what thickness. had even done some headwork too...

im not feeling any loss in power i just did this test since i bought a gauge for my friend.

should i take all the plugs out or one at a time?

i will try and test my engine on warm and post up the results.

Plugs out one at a time buddy

Get another gauge and test again, but this doesn't sound good.

adamb, the fact that all his cylinders read the same is kind of good news

it tells me either the engine was built to be purposely low compression in the past and may be run massive boost (drag racing seems popular in malta)

OR the cheap guage is reading wrong

he could always try a proper brand gauge or take it to a garage/friend and get a proper test done

i really don't think anything is wrong with his engine based on the information in this tread thus far

adamb, the fact that all his cylinders read the same is kind of good news

it tells me either the engine was built to be purposely low compression in the past and may be run massive boost (drag racing seems popular in malta)

OR the cheap guage is reading wrong

he could always try a proper brand gauge or take it to a garage/friend and get a proper test done

i really don't think anything is wrong with his engine based on the information in this tread thus far

It makes no difference what so ever, you could have 10 psi across all 4 cylinders, does that mean it's okay because all cylinders are equal?

There's service limits for a reason :thumbsup: I can imagine the BMEP is massively down!

The service limit for a 5E is 140 psi, or there abouts. As well as this, when oil was added the pressure shot up 50 psi, usually indicating a sealing issue within the chamber/s.

Is the test definitely being done with wide open throttle? I suspect that those are the kinda readings with the throttle shut, and around 100 psi on a 4E, might be a bit off on those figures though.

A better test would be to carry out a leak down.