turbo comparison: td/vf vs gt vs gtx

been having a discussion with some friends on this topic yet again...somehow it always seems to pop up :D

assuming a stock 5efte/5efhte engine (cams, pistons/rings, head, headgasket, 50mm TB, rev limit 7200rpm, etc) with stock compression 9.0-9.6 range....looking to run 14 - 18 psi daily on pump gas (95 - 98 ron) and the odd 20 - 25psi on race gas

given all the massive moves in technology over the years, which of these turbos would be ideal for making about 300whp, along with the very best daily drivability, earliest spool, best spool on gear changes, etc

subaru td05, subaru td05 billet wheel 16g/18g, ihi vf34, ihi vf35, vf35 billet wheel, ihi vf28, gt2860rs, gtx2863r, gtx2867r

how does the gt2860rs compare to the newer gtx2863r and gtx2867r in terms of spool and response??

anyone running these turbos with personal experience?

PS---assuming money to purchase any of these turbos was not an issue

Edited by gorganl2000

you wont be able to run20 to 25 psi

you need to go forged pistons fail at 1.2bar ( 17or 18 psi ) +-

hey colin, thanks for the reply

i can assure you that the above boost pressures can be safely ran and have been safely ran for a while now on a few cars here...

maybe i should have added that tuning will be done to accommodate these turbos....though i kind of figured it was a given at the boost pressures mentioned....however, we should never make such bold assumption lol

so to add to my earlier post...the cars/engines will be tuned accordingly ...fuel and ignition

bigger injectors, piggyback/standalone, fuel pump upgrade, oem/aftermarket fpr

also, for the sake of discussion, let's upgrade those pistons and rods to forged ...with the same 9.0 compression as above

Edited by gorganl2000

thanks adamb...so is the much talked about 10-15% extra flow between the gt vs gtx true/false?

i checked the ukstarlet leader board and realised socks, ryan-11 and rob ebbs did quite well with gtx2863r and gt2860rs models, even better than some gtx/gt30., ...i'd like to compare the graphs, but all different dynos and possibly different set ups and boost.....so the end result would not be as realistic as i'd like

what's the difference between super unleaded and pump unleaded over there?

thanks adamb...so is the much talked about 10-15% extra flow between the gt vs gtx true/false?

i checked the ukstarlet leader board and realised socks, ryan-11 and rob ebbs did quite well with gtx2863r and gt2860rs models, even better than some gtx/gt30., ...i'd like to compare the graphs, but all different dynos and possibly different set ups and boost.....so the end result would not be as realistic as i'd like

what's the difference between super unleaded and pump unleaded over there?

The flow has nothing to do with the spool time.

Yes they do generally make on average 10% extra flow, but the spool is the same as the GT series turbo.

Using a dyno graph to look at where engines make power, and compare setups is ok, although the numbers they make I wouldn't believe, too many variables especially across different dyno's, air temps, tyre pressures etc etc.

There's a much noticeable improvement in boost and throttle response with a Garrett compared with a TD series turbo. You may not see it so much on a dyno plot, but in real world conditions on the road there is a vast improvement.

Super unleaded here is 99 RON, normal unleaded is 95 RON. Although if you shop at Tesco and use their Momentum fuel it has higher Ethanol content than that of Shell V-Power :thumbsup: Good if you want an extra couple of BHP down the pub, not so good for fuel economy.

Edited by AdamB

good to hear there is noted improvement on the road, as that is where it really matters. i simply see dynos as a tuning/learning tool and can be very useful, but as we said in other posts, sometimes persons get lost in aiming for peak numbers instead of the overall power band

you guys get some decent pump gas compared to here...quite a few guys runs meth kits to improve the quality to your RON levels

This might help you out

http://blog.perrinperformance.com/garrett-gtx-turbo-comparo/

http://blog.perrinperformance.com/garrett-gtx-turbo-comparo-part-2/

Yeah we do get some good pump fuel, although it's never good enough. Funny thing is, although we get good octane ratings, other people who don't have that luxury are still making better power... Says something about the way things are done on this Island.

from what i've heard around, our base fuel seem to be like 90 ron... that's why the meth kits seem to be somewhat popular over here

yeah i saw those links in my searches...very informative

now in terms of turbine housings...i see a number of a/r options 0.57, 0.64, 0.72, 0.84 which seem equivalent to approximately 8, 9 10, 11 cm2 respectively....apart from the 0.57, aren't the others on the biggish side of things for our 4e/5e engine?

i see Mamba offers a 0.49 (7 cm2) turbine housing for Subaru fitment (gtx2863r, gtx2867r, etc), which a lot of guys here run this exhaust manifold/downpipe combination...but maybe this size a/r is decent for a smaller displacement engine??...same specs as the garrett gtx28 series, but would have to do a search of the internet for reviews on this brand

Edited by gorganl2000

Meth kits are becoming more and more popular over here as well, like I said, no matter how good a fuel you have people always looking for more.

I'm not too informed regarding turbine sizes in cm2 if I'm honest.

Garrett do offer a .48 housing, off the top of my head though not sure if these are offered for **28 series turbo's.

If you have a search over on TGTT, look at some of Spuddy's posts or in his build thread if it's still there, I'm sure he mentioned that he stayed at the .48 housing till something like 440bhp (fly) until it started choking flow, that was with aftermarket cams though I believe.

Meth kits are becoming more and more popular over here as well, like I said, no matter how good a fuel you have people always looking for more.

I'm not too informed regarding turbine sizes in cm2 if I'm honest.

Garrett do offer a .48 housing, off the top of my head though not sure if these are offered for **28 series turbo's.

If you have a search over on TGTT, look at some of Spuddy's posts or in his build thread if it's still there, I'm sure he mentioned that he stayed at the .48 housing till something like 440bhp (fly) until it started choking flow, that was with aftermarket cams though I believe.

Do you have a link to Garretts .48 housing ??

I can only find the T3 5 bolt discharge housing to purchase seperately. Found the .48 T3 4 bolt discharge but only as part of turbo's. I assume its the 4 bolt you want?

So must be able to get the housings on their own. I'm sure the company in America I use had them listed before, but can't find them now.

Probably worth getting on to Owens to see if they got any knocking about.

Edited by AdamB

I can only find the T3 5 bolt discharge housing to purchase seperately. Found the .48 T3 4 bolt discharge but only as part of turbo's. I assume its the 4 bolt you want?

So must be able to get the housings on their own. I'm sure the company in America I use had them listed before, but can't find them now.

Probably worth getting on to Owens to see if they got any knocking about.

Spoke to lee and he said they never offered a .48 4-bolt which is why i was so interested!

^ Maybe they make there own?

Lee suggest as they're starting to produce own brand turbos they could make a .48 a/r 4 - bolt.

Was that off ATP's website?

Yeah ATP mate.

Well I've seen the .48 ages and ages ago, so can't be something new? They are a Garrett dealer as well, I've had turbo's from them in the past with no issues, so not a company I wouldn't trust.

Might be worth dropping them an email and finding out? Find out if you can purchase the housing seperately?

Not sure it helps but I recall ATP selling a gt28 kit that was actually a gt2560 turbo ages ago

Phil

The GT2560 is a GT28, IIRC its the same turbo that comes on the SR20 motors.

Edited by AdamB

Yeah ATP mate.

Well I've seen the .48 ages and ages ago, so can't be something new? They are a Garrett dealer as well, I've had turbo's from them in the past with no issues, so not a company I wouldn't trust.

Might be worth dropping them an email and finding out? Find out if you can purchase the housing seperately?

The GT2560 is a GT28, IIRC its the same turbo that comes on the SR20 motors.

that's what comes to my mind too as i said earlier, its something to do with nissan...just seems so long ago

• 3 months later...