Starlet n/a '98 (from Sweden) // Update!

Hey guys, Im from Sweden and have project to show. Nothing special, but Ep91 in Sweden are rare, and i think I am the only guy who fix one. (Sorry for my bad English and some miss spell) Hope you can understand me anyway :)

Its a '98 Europe model. No electric stuff or what so ever.
It has run about 160.000kms.
Bout it last summer in juni I think.

I have had about 200 cars in 12 years, new ones and oldies. I have always like small cars and stance.
Now I study, so there is no extra money for my car interest, but I gonna do somthing about the car tho, in cheap ways.
I have always liked Volkswagen, but when i bought this, i fell in love, haha. It just runs and runs, has never malfunctioned, so Im happy with that. And a great car if you want to drive efficient, perfect when I, studying.

So. When i bought it, looked like this. Its two diferent whit colors on the rear, have no ide what some early owner have done.
img-2326.JPG

img-2325.JPG

img-2324.JPG

The car also has a wreckled door on the driver side (left side in sweden). Car parts to these cars is impossible to get cheap or even used. So, Im not sure what Im gonna do with that..

img-2323.JPG

After a month or so i removed the door rails?! Anyway..

img-2330.JPG

Then I painted the bumpers matteblack, you see a good difference here

img-2611.JPG

This time, it was almost winter, and beacuse i drive alot in the woods on bad roads, i needed some better headlight, so i mounted some bosch extra light, and xenon converted them to 55w 4300k.

img-2746.JPG

img-2734.JPG

But after a while i wanted some more lights, so i bought and installed 3x led 90w with 10.000 lumen each. And at this time, its alredy winter

img-3589.JPG

img-3590.JPG

img-3586.JPG

img-3655.JPG

img-3656.JPG

This is about 200 yard away

img-3652.JPG

I really thinking to let the light sit the whole year. Many people here take them off and mounting it back on the winter. But i think it a little bit of rally, haha.

Today the car is the same as the above pictures.
But i have a plan to paint the car grey, like this color

farg.jpg

And even the bumpers ofc :)
I think the extra ligths will get a better look on the car too. And the wreckled door will appear less.

From you guys i got the tip to buy a Corolla manifold, so i did. Found a cheap one in a scrapyard for about 20£
Dirty as hell when I got it

img-3687.JPG

After about an hour cleaning. But maybe I'll paint it black later

img-3694.JPG

Got a new air filter too :)

img-3686.JPG

Ordered some white indicators on Ebay a few dys ago.

img-3665.JPG

Big post, hope you dont mind. But thats all for now, i think.
Oh, yes, I got hold of some cheap 15 inch wheels from a friend too.. Gonna clean them up later.
And I am soon gonna order 40/40 springs.

10254048-10209192090666023-7792334213750

Now Im done, haha

Edited by MrSweden
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really nice mate like the black bumpers with spot lights :)

Haha, I dont.

Over there in UK all the starlet has painted bumbers?! And here in Sweden, almost everyone has black.

But Im gonna change that for sure. Has paint home, and when its getting warmer outside, the car gonna be grey :)

But now i thinkig, maybe I'll paint the wheels white insted.

Looking for some 165/50 tyres. The wheels are 15x7

Dix you install the intake?

No, have not done that yet. Its to coold to fix things with the car outside. Have no garage, and its freezing cold outside.

But did install the open air filter today

So, i did install the white indicators on the car, and the open air filter. Like the sound om that :)

img-3705.JPG

img-3708.JPG

img-3709.JPG

Yes, Im gonna fix the engine later. But its to cold outside now, so it have to wait for the spring or summer.
Also, need to fix the cold air intake for the filter

That's exactly why i think you should keep the black bumpers :) never see any starlets like that over here it's something different

Yeah, mabe over there, but here they are all the same with black bumpers. don't want that, looks boring :/

Hmm

I ran on these :)
7,5x16 Wheels and new 165/40 tires

Could sit nice :thumbsup:

img-3723.JPG

img-3721.JPG

Leaned them against the car and checked

img-3727.JPG

img-3726.JPG

Original 13 inch wheels on now with winter tyres. 155/70 i think it is.
And the new wheels (pic)

img-3724.JPG

Maybe I should fix them up and repaint.

Did some wheel testing yeasterday, only on the right side of the car, just to see if i needed some spacers or not, but they fits good. The car stands in a uneven ground and my winter tires are still on, on the left side, soo the car looks even higher at this point. But we have decided that we want to try to rebuild some Volkswagen polo 6N coilovers to fit most cuz I want to lower the car more than the lowerings springs lower the car. Measured I need lower the car about 8cm to make it look good with the wheels.. (Hope you understand what writed with my bad english) Pictures below

img-3742.JPG

img-3743.JPG

img-3746.JPG

img-3748.JPG

img-3747.JPG

img-3753.JPG

img-3745.JPG

img-3749.JPG

Be careful with the polo coilover conversion mate you will need to get mk1 golf rear coilovers as the polo struts are far far to big so even set at full low it will look like a monster truck.

Be careful with the polo coilover conversion mate you will need to get mk1 golf rear coilovers as the polo struts are far far to big so even set at full low it will look like a monster truck.

Mk1 and Polo 6N is the same lenght what i know?

And Ta Tecnix can lower the car 100mm, have buidt a few Golf Mk2, Mk3, Mk4 with Ta Technix

Mk1 and Polo 6N is the same lenght what i know?

And Ta Tecnix can lower the car 100mm, have buidt a few Golf Mk2, Mk3, Mk4 with Ta Technix

I modified polo 6n coilovers too mine the fronts fitted perfect but the rear struts where just too tall maybe it was just the make coilovers i had, i got given a free set of mk1 rear coilovers n they where much shorter but in the end i just bought starlet ones :)

I modified polo 6n coilovers too mine the fronts fitted perfect but the rear struts where just too tall maybe it was just the make coilovers i had, i got given a free set of mk1 rear coilovers n they where much shorter but in the end i just bought starlet ones :)

What brand did you go with?

I know that the Ta Technix coilovers to Polo are a little shorter than the Golf Mk1. But front are the same. I also am gonna run without helped springs and set it pretty low. If thats not gonna work, I atleast have try :)