Is a baffeled sump & oil cooler a must have for track use

Oh my what a can of worms...

Apologies if my comment was belittling if it was a typo from Stu, but coming from his reaction, it appears not...

Anyway, rather than carrying on and being childish.

I'm not trying to "impress" anyone, but this is a public forum where people come to share knowledge and experience...

What I do know is that a fairly well designed sump and oil system will be able to sustain approx 1.2g laterally. Reiterating my previous comment that "most" road tyres won't be able to provide this level of grip (unless the car is fitted with aero). A well designed trap door baffle sump will be able to sustain up to around 4g of lateral force, after that you're getting into dry sump systems. BTCC cars are wet sumped with a baffle.

This isn't for a Starlet but this is what a trap door baffle looks like for those that are interested. This one I use on my track car.

GOPR0312_zpswrags9d5.jpg

GOPR0310_zpsdq26ekwt.jpg

GOPR0308_zps97gybdkx.jpg

And fitted to the sump

GOPR0455_zpspazuozzb.jpg

GOPR0457_zpsklyi2dic.jpg

GOPR0458_zpscmkue0cr.jpg

GOPR0461_zps0rmkywvu.jpg

Nice bit of kit that.

I know what you're saying about not needing it but some toyotas dont have the best designed sumps. The newer 2zz t-sports stuff have been known to suffer from oil starvation on track with semi track tyres at around 1.0G and thats on a sporty engine with yamaha design input.

Maybe toyota built things better back in the 90s but if you're doing a lot of track days on sticky rubber and are a fast driver then a little bit of insurance, Gauges, cooler, baffled sump isn't going to do any harm other than to your wallet.

i would say a baffle sump is a good insurance. The 4e GT sump I use does not like right hand bends. I quite often watch my oil pressure drop and have to back off. I am using the worst sump tho. Need to change to a Glanza sump with baffles. I'm only running ad08r's on a pretty well set up car.

First trap door sump I've seen. Just so I understand, the doors allow the oil into the centre and prevent it from leaving, so I can assume the pickup lands in the centre of that?

John

That's correct, depending on whether its a right hand or left hand corner, the oil will flow from one side to the other through the doors and the opposite side doors will then be shut not allowing the oil to escape. The pick up lands inbetween the baffle.

The doors are just located on a hinge and depend on gravity to open and close.

Nice bit of kit that.

I know what you're saying about not needing it but some toyotas dont have the best designed sumps. The newer 2zz t-sports stuff have been known to suffer from oil starvation on track with semi track tyres at around 1.0G and thats on a sporty engine with yamaha design input.

Maybe toyota built things better back in the 90s but if you're doing a lot of track days on sticky rubber and are a fast driver then a little bit of insurance, Gauges, cooler, baffled sump isn't going to do any harm other than to your wallet.

Aye no doubt some cars need it more than others, and likewise some drivers need them more than others.

Back in the day when I used to play with the C20XE Vauxhall engine, because their pick up is basically just a gauze filter on the end of a tube, you could cut the tube and weld in a piece to make it longer and sit further down towards the floor of the sump.

This could be something possible on the 4E/5E engine, but I know they have like a supporting bracket which will also require some adjustment. Just as an idea that could be worth looking into. :D

the earlier (with the earlier style of oil pump) 4EFTE engines should have some light baffling in anyway (i've had three of the early ones apart and they've all had it), not enough for serious circuit use, but better than nothing. Not sure what, if any the later engines or 5E lumps had.

Has anyone got any pictures of a baffled sump or a trap door sump?

Looking into it myself but not sure on dimensions or does the baffle sit just above the oil level?

In my build thread mate I used to have one with a trap door